No announcement yet.

What's happened to this forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember hearing Chris Kresser talking about making sure the forum on his site was well moderated / curated to keep things from getting nasty. Although he didn't mention MDA forum specifically, you kinda could imply that's was the site to which he was alluding.

What I find most useful on this site is reading folks personal experiences and what has or hasn't worked for them. As a compilation of n=1 experiments it can be great! What I find least useful is the apostles of one particular faction touting their particular dogma and repeating the same information or linking to the same blog posts. By this time we've all read all the opposing theories, or are new folks that get walloped with them all and get confused.

What folks have to remember when they state their positions about their theory, whether it be CI=CO, Taubsian insulin theories, fat makes you fat, Peat, etc. is that there's probably less actual clinical studies to back up their theories than the CW nutritional advice. It's backed up by dodgy observational studies but that's more than has really been done for the new alternative theories. Unless and until some really good clinical trials are ever done it's hard to say definitively any of the hypotheses are correct.

Unfortunately it would seem that in our reality TV inundated world where everyone wants to argue argue argue on Reddit, message board, twitter, etc. people have no interest in either discussing "studies seem to suggest that X,Y,Z, but lets analyze what that might mean" or posting raw personal data for folks to mull over.

For instance, I posted a thread recently in which I charted out what my "dunk tank" body fat test measurements were for a couple of years and what changes I made to diet during that time. After my weight went up to 175 after holding at 165 for a while, I spent the better part of a year bringing it back down again. ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91313.html ) There seemed to be hardly any interest in a "this is what I did and these are the results I got" thread. It seems to me that posts that are controversial or combative are the ones that get all the attention and those that are informative just don't generate any interest.

I'd just suggest to folks, especially the really frequent posters, that you ask yourself if you're really adding some info to the conversation that isn't available from the source you are citing AND are you making a point or just attacking?
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

• You people are all fucking nuts.
      SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

• Kestrel, I read your dunk tank thread and it was not uninteresting, but it was not a conversation starter either. What was there to say about it? Nothing.

I used to believe in moderate to heavy moderation, but I don't any more. Moderation creates borderline personality disorder type triangulation with the moderator- it just makes the tone of the conversation more insane, not less.

If there is conversation, it will be between people who disagree, otherwise there is no cause for the conversation. The ancient philosophers wrote in dialogue because they believed that the truth is only expressed in dialogue- one person expressing the truth is just dead bones... They cannot transmit anything that is alive.
        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

• I agree, Kestrel. I've posted several times in CICO threads on ways a person could test their RDI and determine (while collecting real data) their rate of weight loss or gain (or even body recompositioning) under different controlled dietary regimens to verify their claims. Not a single person expressed interest. Nobody wants to know, especially not those with agendas that are already supported by less than one point on a line.

Comment

• Heavy moderation sucks. Its a huge plus that this forum hasn't fallen into that pit. I've quit forums for it.... even if they were moderating opinions opposite mine. I don't live to bicker, but I actually prefer to be engaged. I don't need to be surrounded by a bunch of yes men. I'm secure enough in my logic and knowledge to discuss....even aggressively discuss opposing view points. Its a good thing.

Comment

• Wouldn't a simple solution be to create a sub-section of the forum dedicated to discussing the unadulterated Primal Blueprint. This area of the forum could be moderated, hopefully lightly, to allow those just starting and/or purists to talk through the lifestyle without the more further afield "hacks" coming into play. Then the rest of the discussion can carry on, as is, in the remainder of the forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                You people are all fucking nuts.
                I wouldn't go that far, at least in most cases, but I do think that some here might benefit from finding something better to spend their time on, rather than arguing about eating habits.
                Life is short, you know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  fwiw [[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]
                  Thanks, Paleobird! Right back atcha!

Comment

• Originally posted by counterpuncher View Post
                    I wouldn't go that far, at least in most cases, but I do think that some here might benefit from finding something better to spend their time on, rather than arguing about eating habits.
                    Life is short, you know?
                    I like the line from MIB for this sort....

Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.
                    Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

On this forum we deal with a person, but sometimes they become people. Just human nature really.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxide View Post
                      Should I be one of the functioning brains and point out that Derpamix is the semi-leader of the pro-starch gang who have crashed a forum whose main philosophy is anti-starch? Derpamix himself proudly admits that he cares little for MDA when he refers to MDA as "your precious forums."

It wouldn't be so bad if the starchers openly declared themselves as pro-sugar. Instead, they hitchhike on the coat tails of Mark's hard work, by claiming to adhere to Paleo while advocating a diet closer to CW-SAD. Bait-and-switch is some of the nastiest cheating of all.

And yes, I do expect Derpamix to fight back, and possibly the henchmen to join the fray. That is fine. My goal is not to win any of the arguments, but simply to identify the pro-sugar forum crashers for who they really are, so that newbies can make their own decisions free from deception.

It's posts like this which make certain any forum descends into garbage. You actually have no idea what you're saying here. Anti-starch? Pro-starch? Deception? So much for functioning brains. Perhaps more humility and less hyperbole would allow it to function slightly better? I'd also say that anyone who opposes freedom of thought and/or new ideas is certainly still hanging on the coat tails of CW.

That, plus folks like Paleobird making hysterical and libelous claims about people. I don't mind at all if someone disagrees with whatever I'm doing at the time, but flat out making stuff up is not becoming of anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Heavy moderation sucks. Its a huge plus that this forum hasn't fallen into that pit. I've quit forums for it.... even if they were moderating opinions opposite mine. I don't live to bicker, but I actually prefer to be engaged. I don't need to be surrounded by a bunch of yes men. I'm secure enough in my logic and knowledge to discuss....even aggressively discuss opposing view points. Its a good thing.
                        +1
                        I like it when people on this forum discuss different views and oppinions. I learn much more from that, because I get to see both sides of arguments and make me question the theories on another level... Nutrition and Health are fascinating topics I think, so please keep on discussing!
                        Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

• I like the people who come with different ideas and if they post that OMG, all this meat is awful and eat more potatoes and beans, well, I find it entertaining to watch people explode who think carbs are toxic and all we should eat is coconut oil and bacon.

I also think it is interesting to see what works for others. I would hope people can accept the differences in needs across a population of people. The only thing that makes me sad is the rampant food fear regarding healthy foods. People can't seem to grasp that carb fear is as irrational as fat fear.

I do worry sometimes that participation in this site is supporting disordered eating for some people and that is sad. My hope would be that they can see that what they are doing is not getting them where they want to be and that they see men and women with good health and a healthy approach to eating as the role models.

I would hope they don't moderate as there are some great posters here and I enjoy the often bawdy and humorous evolution of some of these topics that generally end with photos of abs lol!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
                            It's posts like this which make certain any forum descends into garbage. You actually have no idea what you're saying here. Anti-starch? Pro-starch? Deception? So much for functioning brains. Perhaps more humility and less hyperbole would allow it to function slightly better? I'd also say that anyone who opposes freedom of thought and/or new ideas is certainly still hanging on the coat tails of CW.

That, plus folks like Paleobird making hysterical and libelous claims about people. I don't mind at all if someone disagrees with whatever I'm doing at the time, but flat out making stuff up is not becoming of anyone.
                            Great post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
                              I think you might find it hard to find a lawyer to sue somebody who hurt your feelings by criticizing you on the internet, unless you want to pay up front of course.

Comment

• if lawyers sued for feelings hurting statements made on the internet i'd be screwed and rich all at once
                                beautiful
                                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X