No announcement yet.

What do you pay for pastured eggs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get them from my own chickens now, and usually bring them to work for people for free I can never eat the number just my own 10 hens produce.

That said, I haven't had a white egg in months. Mine come out yellow, blue, and pink.
    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
      I get them from my own chickens now, and usually bring them to work for people for free I can never eat the number just my own 10 hens produce.

That said, I haven't had a white egg in months. Mine come out yellow, blue, and pink.
      10 hens huh? I was thinking about 6 would be good for my family of four to live on the eggs... Still haven't pulled the trigger on building the hen house and getting the hens though.

Its kinda hard to when I can get the exact eggs I'm looking for for just $2.

It was more an idea of making sure my kids experience the raising and collecting of their own food in a non-slaughterhouse manner . We already got the fruit, berries, and veggies.

Comment

6 would be more than enough for a family of 4, given they are of good laying age. I got mine as a clean up crew/tick sweeper team to patrol the other pens. I plan on slaughtering 4-5 before winter hits. They are old, had good lives, and will cost a lot to feed all winter. Plus 2 of mine are broody at present, so we will have a BIG surplus if we don't eat a few.

I wouldn't do it for money though. Just feed is about $20 a month, no matter your source. Just eggs isn't a good enough reason...your other one though, for an experience for the children, is a great one though. No mini-me's yet for me. I can't imagine trying to show this all to them.
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          10 hens huh? I was thinking about 6 would be good for my family of four to live on the eggs... Still haven't pulled the trigger on building the hen house and getting the hens though.

It was more an idea of making sure my kids experience the raising and collecting of their own food in a non-slaughterhouse manner . We already got the fruit, berries, and veggies.
          We started with 10 hens and we were soon calling our eight y/o 'The Chicken Whisperer'. The kids treat them some-what as pets. They have names so apparently we will NOT be butchering any of them.
          We have 4 or 5 varieties but the Red Stars are little machines. Our Brahmas lay huge extra-large eggs and made us think a goose was sneaking into hen house.
          Any money from the egg sales goes into the 'egg-kity' and then it's divided between the boys cuz they do the chicken chores.
          It's been a good experience for them. The 8 y/o wants to exhibit some in 4-H.
          Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

I can get them for around 5 bucks a dozen in Illinois.

Comment

In Montreal I get them at a local farmers market, $15 cdn for 60 eggs. free range organic.
              Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                We started with 10 hens and we were soon calling our eight y/o 'The Chicken Whisperer'. The kids treat them some-what as pets. They have names so apparently we will NOT be butchering any of them.
                We have 4 or 5 varieties but the Red Stars are little machines. Our Brahmas lay huge extra-large eggs and made us think a goose was sneaking into hen house.
                Any money from the egg sales goes into the 'egg-kity' and then it's divided between the boys cuz they do the chicken chores.
                It's been a good experience for them. The 8 y/o wants to exhibit some in 4-H.
                Lol.... Yeah I kinda brought this up with my six year old. I'm a little straight forward about it, but I really wanted to gauge his reaction. We go to a farm to get chicken eggs so he sees the chickens.
                Me - "Hey you wanna get some of those for the house?"
                Kid - "Would we have to eat them? Cause I wouldn't want to have to eat my chicken though." (we've already had the discussion of where our meat comes from)
                Me- "No, but we would collect and eat their eggs"
                Kid - "Oh yeah yeah... can we get this one?"

So yeah, like I said a non-slaughter house sort of deal . Not to mention kids raised around a variety of animals tend to be more healthy than ones that are not. Probably something to do with "old friends" theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

If you can get eggs for $2 a dozen it wouldn't be financially worth it to raise them yourself, chicken food is expensive especially if you want to go organic. Most chicken farmers can't afford to give their flock organic feed but they can easily let them free range. Our hens are all winding down and we are considering butchering them; if they are too old to eat we can always make them into broth.

On the other had kids love raising hens. But prepared if the kids get attached to them you can end up having a retirement home for hens.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

To get truly pastured, organic and soy free eggs here in Sonoma County you will probably end up paying between $6 and $10.
                    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                      To get truly pastured, organic and soy free eggs here in Sonoma County you will probably end up paying between $6 and $10.
                      Yup I just picked up 6 dozen for 7$ in Valley Ford today

Comment

Our local Costco sells USDA organic for about 7.69$ per two dozen.
                        We found a neighborhood source for eggs, a lady has 21 chickens in her backyard with a secure pen and coop.
                        She sells us two dozen for 6$
                        Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                        Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                        "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                        "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                        "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

We pay $.29NZ per egg.

Comment

Originally posted by paint94979 View Post
                            I'm in Marin county so FYI there are much better options
                            Which farms do you buy them from? Marin Sun farms sells eggs at the Ferry Buiding in SF and its normally above $10/dozen the last few times I bought them.
                            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

1/2 dozen = £1.60 = $2.48

From London England UK

Comment

$2.50/dozen at my local farmer's market.
                                “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                                X