Fresh spinach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh spinach

I buy a huge container of spinach for salads and juicing (when I'm on the juicing wagon) but sometimes it goes bad before I can use it all. In fact it almost always does. But when I buy it in smaller amounts its never enough. Ugh.
    Can I freeze it? Doesn't seem like it would thaw well for salads though. Anything else I can do with it to ensure I use it up?
    Thanks!

Eat MOAR!

Seriously, this happens to me from time to time as well. I just make it a point to have bigger salads. I switch between kale and spinach, which makes it hard to use all of it before it goes bad.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (Sept 2015): 200
    CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

Saute it with a bit of garlic, olive oil, and finish it with some lemon juice. It's delicious. Plus, a whole big container cooks down to about a tablespoon of food, so you can easily finish it all
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by accidentalpancake View Post
        Eat MOAR!

Seriously, this happens to me from time to time as well. I just make it a point to have bigger salads. I switch between kale and spinach, which makes it hard to use all of it before it goes bad.
        Lol I hear you, I hear you... But sometimes spinach sounds so disgusting. Sometimes salad just isn't appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          Saute it with a bit of garlic, olive oil, and finish it with some lemon juice. It's delicious. Plus, a whole big container cooks down to about a tablespoon of food, so you can easily finish it all
          Ooh, that's a fabulous idea! Could I also sauté it in ... Bacon fat!? Lol I have so much bacon fat in the fridge I worry if I'll ever eat it all lol. Or butter? I just discovered the amazingness of grass fed butter and ghee. Sooooo gooooooood!

Thank you!

Comment

There's a fabulous recipe for creamed spinach that someone posted here on MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread11416.html

It calls for frozen spinach, but I always make it with bagged. Just nuke the spinach in a covered dish for 3-5 minutes to wilt it, then drain the liquid. I also add a little bit of lemon juice and artichoke hearts (not the marineted kind) to it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaPoppy View Post
              There's a fabulous recipe for creamed spinach that someone posted here on MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread11416.html

It calls for frozen spinach, but I always make it with bagged. Just nuke the spinach in a covered dish for 3-5 minutes to wilt it, then drain the liquid. I also add a little bit of lemon juice and artichoke hearts (not the marineted kind) to it.
              Thank you! I've never heard of Boursin cheese... Are there any good substitutions?

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy111 View Post
                Ooh, that's a fabulous idea! Could I also sauté it in ... Bacon fat!? Lol I have so much bacon fat in the fridge I worry if I'll ever eat it all lol. Or butter? I just discovered the amazingness of grass fed butter and ghee. Sooooo gooooooood!

Thank you!
                I think cooking it in bacon fat would take it from delicious to out of this world! I'm going to try that next time
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                  I think cooking it in bacon fat would take it from delicious to out of this world! I'm going to try that next time
                  Lol! Thanks for the inspiration, I refuse to throw out another container of organic spinach again!

Comment

i store my leafy greens in a plastic bin. Before I close up I put a paper towel just under the lid. Then when I store in the fridge, I store the container upside down. The towel captures the extra moisture from condensation and the greens stay fresher longer. if you get a lot of moisture, just replace the paper towel.

works!
                    Julia
                    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                    Started Primal Mid January 2011
                    Current Weight 183
                    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jmday View Post
                      i store my leafy greens in a plastic bin. Before I close up I put a paper towel just under the lid. Then when I store in the fridge, I store the container upside down. The towel captures the extra moisture from condensation and the greens stay fresher longer. if you get a lot of moisture, just replace the paper towel.

works!
                      Great idea, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy111 View Post
                        Thank you! I've never heard of Boursin cheese... Are there any good substitutions?
                        If you are in Northern CA, I would bet they have it in every grocery store and I know they have it at Trader Joe's. I never noticed it either until I actually made it a point to look for it. Boursin is the brand, not the type of cheese. It's one of those spreadable cheeses with herbs and spices in it.

Comment

I buy massive amounts of mix lettuces and spinach at the farmer's market weekly because I have 3 guinea pigs who need it and I need it. I buy weekly but I can store it up to 2 weeks. Get yourself a salad spinner!! Best thing I have EVER purchased. Wash all your lettuce and spinach and then spin, spin, spin to get it as dry as possible, then dab it with some paper towel to get as much moisture out as possible.. I line my crisper drawer with paper towels, making sure its long enough to have some to cover it as well, and then just put the lettuce and spinach in there. The paper towel helps to absorb extra moisture that you might not have gotten out with spinning and it will keep up to two weeks (sometimes a bit longer if you are lucky). Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaPoppy View Post
                            If you are in Northern CA, I would bet they have it in every grocery store and I know they have it at Trader Joe's. I never noticed it either until I actually made it a point to look for it. Boursin is the brand, not the type of cheese. It's one of those spreadable cheeses with herbs and spices in it.
                            Ok thank you! I'll look for it next time I'm at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberly P View Post
                              I buy massive amounts of mix lettuces and spinach at the farmer's market weekly because I have 3 guinea pigs who need it and I need it. I buy weekly but I can store it up to 2 weeks. Get yourself a salad spinner!! Best thing I have EVER purchased. Wash all your lettuce and spinach and then spin, spin, spin to get it as dry as possible, then dab it with some paper towel to get as much moisture out as possible.. I line my crisper drawer with paper towels, making sure its long enough to have some to cover it as well, and then just put the lettuce and spinach in there. The paper towel helps to absorb extra moisture that you might not have gotten out with spinning and it will keep up to two weeks (sometimes a bit longer if you are lucky). Good Luck!!
                              I do have a spinner! I love it when I'm not too lazy to use it lol. I may be able to try that, but my fridge is pretty small and the crispers are usually filled to the brim with stuff! But I'm going to try to move some stuff around and see what I can do. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X