Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it with nuts/seeds causing rapid weight gain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, surprisingly most chain pizza uses olive oil too, like Little Caesars. The meat and cheese is terrible though, allergens ahoy!

I make pizza with a carrot sauce and fresh fruit with gouda, brie, and parmesan and some lamb, or beef. I go hard on specific spices too, and even like cinnamon on the crust. I don't make it gluten free though, since I barely eat pizza and don't react to gluten so I don't trip on it. Sourdough is nice, too.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
      LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), PEPPERONI (PORK AND BEEF, SALT, SPICES, DEXTROSE, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA, FLAVORINGS, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID),
      That's the bit that kills it for me, gluten aside, it's just frankenfood BS when there are perfectly good cheeses, even lower-fat mozzarellas & pepperoni etc, that don't have that stuff added and would therefore score them brownie points on the CW low-fat scale. It's got to be about saving money by using fillers, masquerading as health.

Before I got a dog I looked into BHA & BHT and they're pretty dubious, not something I'd eat if there's any alternative, I don't even feed them to my dog.

Edit to add: "DEPARTMENT OF Pathology, NAGOYA CITY UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOL, Japan. A recent study was completed to determine the toxicology of BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin and Propyl Gallate. The following is an overview of the findings:

BHA - Causes squamous-cell carcinomas in stomachs of rats and hamsters. (Cancers of this type are among the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals with light colored fur. Many white cats die within months after getting squamous cell black tumor on their skin.)

Enhanced stomach and urinary bladder carcinogenesis

BHT- Promoted urinary bladder carcinogenesis could be a promoter of thyroid carcinogenesis

The study noted that BHA and other such antioxidants, particularly propyl gallate and ethoxyquin, showed additive effects in inducing stomach hyperplasia and cytotoxicity."
      Source

Stuff like that stops meat fat turning rancid, so you can have the same sack of petfood lying open for a few weeks. I don't know why any pizza joint would need to use it except for cheese-paring their costs down.
      Last edited by Lady D; 08-09-2013, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I make pizza with a carrot sauce and fresh fruit with gouda, brie, and parmesan and some lamb, or beef. I go hard on specific spices too, and even like cinnamon on the crust. I don't make it gluten free though, since I barely eat pizza and don't react to gluten so I don't trip on it. Sourdough is nice, too.
        Recipe, please? For the toppings at least, that sounds very unusual & interesting. I don't like bread, but I can see this happening on a bed of rice or something.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
          Recipe, please?
          Seconded!

I'm off on holiday now, blissfully offline for a bit, but thanks in advance if you get time!

Comment

I'm surprised, that DiGiorno pizza isn't as bad as I suspected.

Wheat flour in a pziza isn't a downside, it is to be expected. It's like complaining about flour in a cake...just don't eat cake if you don't want wheat. Those ingredients are typical of pepperoni or any mass-produced sausage. The only sausages I haven't seen with BHA and BHT in them are ones ground in-store. National brands have to use BHA and BHT or else the sausage will turn gray in shipment instead of that nice red and pink color they rely on to sell them. Same goes with pepperoni. You can't blame them to use it because no one would buy gray pepperoni. Same thing goes with nitrates in bacon. Would you buy gray bacon? I'm guessing not.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              But a healthy diet revolves around more than calories. A diet of chicken breast, egg whites, canned tuna and steamed vegetables may be great for fat loss, but at some point I'd blow my brains out from boredom and lack of flavor.
              I would blow my brains out from lack of fat. Although I do tend to eat a monotonous diet of lean meats and fish, steamed vegetables and potatoes with no butter, after a while, if I don't cook something with generous butter or other fat, I do get kinda twitchy.

The other day I ate some food with flour in it. I nearly lost my job the following day for going crazy-emotional insane. Took two days to wear off. I can't believe I used to live my life on the verge of being fired like that.

Everyone must find their own balance and tolerance that is for sure. I do eat nuts and nut butters, but in small quantities. Nuts and cheese are really fattening. That's just the truth. That's why I bring them backpacking.

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Yeah, but who cares? In a caloric surplus gaining weight is healthy. Its when you can't access said stores due to metabolic syndrome OR worse when you no longer can gain weight that you have a real problem. Food quality (paleo) will self regulate quantity in most people. For those who it does not further measures may be required to get that beach bod, but they will still reap possitive metabolic effect from the improved quality of their diet. Inappropriate quantity, caloric overload, and consequently metaboly dysregulation is a symptom of a poor quality diet and motion.

Lots of beach bod skinny folks can get there eating skittles and chugging protein shakes.... but hows their health and logevity? Weight gain and loss are twined with metabolic health, but they are not actually one in the same.
              A beach body is a strange thing. I do not have a beach body. I eat paleo, lift weights, do 2x a week HIIT, watch my portions of body-builder-style food and all that. I have been getting a little leaner. I can see my ribs and have a fairly flat stomach with faint little abs and yet I do not have a sexy lady bikini body. I am just not shaped that way. My body is fine though, fully capable, strong and I think I look like the best version of myself.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                I would blow my brains out from lack of fat. Although I do tend to eat a monotonous diet of lean meats and fish, steamed vegetables and potatoes with no butter, after a while, if I don't cook something with generous butter or other fat, I do get kinda twitchy.

The other day I ate some food with flour in it. I nearly lost my job the following day for going crazy-emotional insane. Took two days to wear off. I can't believe I used to live my life on the verge of being fired like that.

Everyone must find their own balance and tolerance that is for sure. I do eat nuts and nut butters, but in small quantities. Nuts and cheese are really fattening. That's just the truth. That's why I bring them backpacking.
                I only had fat cravings once in my life, and it was about 4 weeks deep into the UD2. That was a low fat diet 6 days a week, although 4 days straight were 1,000 calories each, so maybe it was just an overall calorie craving. I just craved steak, though. I wanted a ribeye.

Carbohydrate cravings are much more pronounced and common, and as you'd imagine they come after a heavy workout. I never really crave added fats, but I don't deprive myself of anything.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Twinkles are horrible you guys over analyze way to much.. The point was , even though she was eating a healthy food you can still get FAT, just like eating garbage you can still lose FAT.. No one said eating twinkles was healthy..

Any to whoever said gaining weight is a good thing ,.. Your right as long as its muscle .. I don't know about u but if I'm gaining weight and my abs disappear it's time to re think my diet.. Now if the scale is going up and I'm looking leaning and feeling stronger then bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    The cravings for things like chocolate mousse and fatty cheese would increasingly drive me crazy until I binged on the stuff.

Comment

I can feel my body crave fats, carbs and proteins.
                      Right now, I'm in an I Want Protein phase and I'm pissed because I did not bring a lunch so I have to go out to lunch which is much easier if I want carbs or fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Thanks for an insight to your eating Choco. Looks fairly Leangain-ish for a workout day; high carb, low fat, medium protein, with lower carbs on rest days. Sounds like it's working well for you, as well as the others that eat similarly.

Comment

I don't carve anything cooked in fat (really dislike the texture, smell, feel, etc), but I do crave nuts and nut butters. I also find it hard to stop eating fatty meats once I started eating it, like ribs or roast chicken, even though I didn't want it in the first place.
                          I find that mushed banana with cocoa nibs works great in place of nuts. Experimenting now with apple butter + cocoa nibs... not as good. Wondering if grated carrot with cocoa nibs will be cool. I have lotsa carrots in the yard!

All and all, I think nuts is a bad food choice because of the unnatural combination of fat and carb. Same with avocados, luckily I hate avocados.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                            I don't carve anything cooked in fat (really dislike the texture, smell, feel, etc), but I do crave nuts and nut butters. I also find it hard to stop eating fatty meats once I started eating it, like ribs or roast chicken, even though I didn't want it in the first place.
                            I find that mushed banana with cocoa nibs works great in place of nuts. Experimenting now with apple butter + cocoa nibs... not as good. Wondering if grated carrot with cocoa nibs will be cool. I have lotsa carrots in the yard!

All and all, I think nuts is a bad food choice because of the unnatural combination of fat and carb. Same with avocados, luckily I hate avocados.
                            Lets not demonize avocados. They are a healthy food. Unnatural combination of fat and carb? Huh?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I feel like nuts give me the least amount of "satisfied" for the calories. 200 calories worth of nuts registers about the same as some steamed asparagus in terms of my hunger and "happiness" goes. I tried for a while to use nuts as a substitute for sugar cravings and in the end, better to eat 150 calories of chocolate or ice cream and be happy than 400 calories of nuts.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Lets not demonize avocados. They are a healthy food. Unnatural combination of fat and carb? Huh?
                                Vast majority of natural foods in the world is either HC/LF, HP/HF, HP/LF. Very few foods are HF/HC like avocados, full-fat milk, and nuts. They share that profile with artificial foods, like baked goods, bread&cheese and sweetened chocolate.

I don't demonize avocados, just don't like them and don't think they are a necessary part of a diet.

EDIT: that's my theory, and I don't expect anyone to believe it or accept it.
                                Last edited by Leida; 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X