Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Coconut milk/cream ? How to keep it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just cut it open and leave it open, in the tetra pack in the refrigerator. I have had no problems (it does harden...). I have left it for upwards of two weeks and no off taste
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

Aroy-D coconut milk (no extra ingredients) can last up to a week in the fridge in a glass bottle. I take the bottle out and pour out what I need in a second, seal and return. Don't leave the unused portion out. I usually use it up before a week though. Annoys me to plan a menu using the coconut milk and finding that it has spoiled..

Comment

For the coconut cream, we had quite the experiment occur. Knifegill bought the "Let's Do Organic" coconut cream (Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) at our local co-op. That was at least a month, if not more ago. He heated it up enough to remove it from it's bag, and then realized he really couldn't use it like he uses coconut milk. So, he put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It sat there for a few weeks, and then he took it out of the fridge to make space for our bone broth, and left the coconut cream on the counter, in it's container. It sat there, unopened, for another week or two (I'm pregnant and nauseous, so there's no way I'm going to investigate and clean old food containers!). Yesterday, I asked him to finally clean the coconut cream container. He opened it up, smelled it, and discerned that it still--oddly--seemed to be good. So, he put some in his eggs and scrambled it and then ate it.

It's been 24 hours and he hasn't died yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
          Knifegill bought the "Let's Do Organic" coconut cream (Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) at our local co-op.
          My daily staple--I snip a corner and squeeze it onto fruit or chocolate. Never seen it spoil, I'm pretty sure it's made from dessicated flesh so there's no water content.
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
            For the coconut cream, we had quite the experiment occur. Knifegill bought the "Let's Do Organic" coconut cream (Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) at our local co-op. That was at least a month, if not more ago. He heated it up enough to remove it from it's bag, and then realized he really couldn't use it like he uses coconut milk. So, he put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It sat there for a few weeks, and then he took it out of the fridge to make space for our bone broth, and left the coconut cream on the counter, in it's container. It sat there, unopened, for another week or two (I'm pregnant and nauseous, so there's no way I'm going to investigate and clean old food containers!). Yesterday, I asked him to finally clean the coconut cream container. He opened it up, smelled it, and discerned that it still--oddly--seemed to be good. So, he put some in his eggs and scrambled it and then ate it.

It's been 24 hours and he hasn't died yet...
            Atrue testament of it's anti-bacterial and anti-microbial abilities!
            Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
              Atrue testament of it's anti-bacterial and anti-microbial abilities!
              Exactly!

Comment

Excellent suggestions and advice! Much thanks to everyone in the thread.

Comment

Working...
                X