Spinach: how much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinach: how much is too much?

I've always heard it's possible to eat too much spinach due to the high amount of vitamin A. I've never worried about it until I went paleo. Now that I'm eating several big-ass spinach salads a week, I find I have to reconsider it.

How much is too much?

Impossible to eat too much beta carotene. Vegetables don't contain retinol, which is the active form of vitamin A
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
      Impossible to eat too much beta carotene. Vegetables don't contain retinol, which is the active form of vitamin A
      But it's possible to eat too much oxalates and goitrogens. Actually, it's quite easy and for many people spinach is a killer or at least a spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by anna5 View Post
        But it's possible to eat too much oxalates and goitrogens. Actually, it's quite easy and for many people spinach is a killer or at least a spoiler.
        Yes, I too would be concerned about the oxalates and goitrogens. I always remember this article from a while back,

New England Journal of Medicine

Cooked spinach for some of the time would be a better option than having loads of it raw.
        Last edited by Slinkykitty; 08-06-2013, 02:37 AM. Reason: fix link

Comment

Originally posted by Slinkykitty View Post
          Yes, I too would be concerned about the oxalates and goitrogens. I always remember this article from a while back,

New England Journal of Medicine

Cooked spinach for some of the time would be a better option than having loads of it raw.
          Let's be real here. That woman was eating 1.0 to 1.5 kg of bok choy per day. A few salads a week is a completely different kettle of fish
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
            Let's be real here. That woman was eating 1.0 to 1.5 kg of bok choy per day. A few salads a week is a completely different kettle of fish
            Well, SEVERAL big-ass spinach salads a week aren't a small "kettle." And it depends on ... what else is eaten. Nasty, pesky oxalates tend to be everywhere.
            Last edited by anna5; 08-06-2013, 04:35 AM.

Comment

200g uncooked looks completely different to cooked 200g.

I could easily do 800g raw into steamed/ cooked .

From London England UK

Comment

I usually prefer some mesclun, or just tossed vegetables with no leaves. Rotating plant foods is often wise but if you don't experience symptoms from the spinach I wouldn't sweat it.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

yea, worry free if its working. I just like to rotate my greens and I'm constantly chowing on spinach, arugula, kale, and broccoli. Mix in some cauliflower and whatever and I keep my palate happy.
                  Living the dream - One life at a time!

Comment

I can easily down 2 pounds of spinach, and when I do, I feel perfectly fine. Oh and there is loads of vitamin A in butternut squash and I literally ate 2 HUGE ONES last night, and I am just fine!

Comment

Don't fall out of sync with nature by eating the same thing several times a week all year round, that's not primal eating... it's based on the idea we need "staple" foods that we eat daily, or regularly.

Comment

I've been known to buy frozen spinach in a 3# block. I hardly eat it all in one sitting though.

Comment

Working...
                        X