So what's the deal with almond milk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the deal with almond milk?

They just started carrying it in the dairy case at my grocer. I picked up the vanilla flavored. The ingredients list was so tiny, I couldn't read it. Assuming it's not sugar-laden, is there a limit to how much I should consume if I'm trying to stay paleo & lose weight?

I think you'll probably need to read the nutrition information and ingredients list to help you make that decision.

Comment

Flavoured almond milk...
      I would guess its got quite a few ingredients .

You wouldn't be drinking almonds in the wild sonwouldnonly use now and then or a splash in coffee .

From London England UK

Comment

Almond and coconut milk in cartons often have nasty stuff in them. Some are worse than others. I'd check those ingredients.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

If you want almond milk, its better to make your own, easy to do and none of the crap you get with the grocery stuff
          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

It depends on the type of almond milk.More often than not, almond milk sold in cartons by Blue Diamond, Almond Breeze (not sure of the actual name brand), etc, aren't really almond milk. They're full of crap and fillers. Almond milk that you make yourself is fine. The stuff on shelves is crap.
            Last edited by Damiana; 08-05-2013, 04:08 AM.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Often there's veg oil, sunflower oil added ( not good) to supermarket stuff.

Comment

I use the unsweetened Blue diamond. I find its fine. I make a breakfast 'cereal' with Chia seeds and almond milk, delicious.

Comment

Define "fine"?
                  I'd probably consume more accidental traces of almonds in packaged foods than what's in that stuff.

Comment

Used to drink the stuff all the time (all.the.time.). At first it tastes great, but if you compare the flavor of real almonds and that stuff, the cartons fall flat. There's this awful chalky aftertaste you don't quite notice at first.

As above, making your own is not hard. Just need a good blender and a pot of boiling water!

M.

Comment

I don't think it's really that bad, as far as processed food goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                        Define "fine"?
                        I'd probably consume more accidental traces of almonds in packaged foods than what's in that stuff.
                        Agree. Almond milk I make looks and feels like milk. Commercial almond milk, in comparison, tastes like milk that's been diluted by large amounts of dishwater.

Almond milk

2 oz blanched almonds
                        2 cups water
                        dash of salt

Soak almonds overnight in the blender jar. In the morning, blend until smooth. Put through a fine filter (like a cloth bag) or pour through a juicer to remove sediment. Add salt.

Almond cream

Use 2 ounces or more of almonds per cup of water.

Cashew milk

Cashew milk is made with raw cashews the same as almond milk, but when you blend it there is no residue to fliter out. Very easy.

Because you are not adding stabilizers, thickeners, and emulsifiers, shake before using.

Comment

This is unsweetened Almond Breeze (Blue Diamond):

INGREDIENTS: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).
                          Looks pretty benign.

Comment

Cashew milk sounds nice !
                            Thicken it to make cashew cream / custard or something would be nice !!!

Any one fancy experiment?

From London England UK

Comment

My primary beef with almond milk (and soy milk and coconut milk) is that they add carragheenan into it for a thickener. I liked almond milk when it was it's normal thin, watery consistency. Plus, carragheenan isn't good for you. And I haven't been able to find any of the milk substitutes any more that don't have carragheenan, even the organic versions. Disappointing.
                              High Weight: 225
                              Weight at start of Primal: 189
                              Current Weight: 174
                              Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X