Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to claculate protein?

I don't know my body fat %.
    Looking at pictures of body fat % on the internet, I figure 25% maybe?
    I'm a 5'3'' female, 108-110 lbs, 38 yo.
    Moderatly active.

I see these formulas to calculate how much protein I should eat and some of them are very different, I don't know wich one to use.

I'm paleo, no grains/no milk products.
    Currently low carbs since doing low FODMAP elemination phase.
    Not afraid of eating fat.

Can someone help me figure out how much gr of protein I should approximatly eat in a day?

Thanks!
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

I believe it's 0.7grams per pound of lean body mass, so minus your fat % from your total weight and you can work it out. I did mine last night for the first time, and will be tweaking a bit.
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Comment

I did a lot of experimenting because of the wide range of variation I found from what seemed to be reliable sources. I ended up somewhere in the middle. I am currently 5'4" and about 142 pounds, moderately active. My current target is about 80g a day. I have found if I don't get enough protein over a period of time I will crave protein and binge on it. If that happens, I go with it and increase my intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterlily View Post
        I don't know my body fat %.
        Looking at pictures of body fat % on the internet, I figure 25% maybe?
        I'm a 5'3'' female, 108-110 lbs, 38 yo.
        Moderatly active.

I see these formulas to calculate how much protein I should eat and some of them are very different, I don't know wich one to use.

I'm paleo, no grains/no milk products.
        Currently low carbs since doing low FODMAP elemination phase.
        Not afraid of eating fat.

Can someone help me figure out how much gr of protein I should approximatly eat in a day?

Thanks!
        I'm not really counting these days but for me i would guess I eat probably at 1 g per pound of lean body mass.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

10-30% of energy expenditure is the guideline I use. It's the main regulator of appetite so meat will tend to appeal or not based on our need.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
              10-30% of energy expenditure is the guideline I use. It's the main regulator of appetite so meat will tend to appeal or not based on our need.
              I had to google 'energy expenditure' to know what you're talking about.
              Have no idea what mine is.
              I know I've always had comments about my eating a lot for such a small person. I think I need lots just to get by an average day.
              Like this: Meat will tend to appeal or not based on your need.

Comment

About 80g should be fine. Adjust according to feedback from your body. If you feel cold, losing hair or not losing weight then try increasing it a bit
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                  About 80g should be fine. Adjust according to feedback from your body. If you feel cold, losing hair or not losing weight then try increasing it a bit
                  I did a quick calcul and it looks like I'm eating close to 80g a day.
                  Today for example, I had this:
                  3 eggs (18 g of protein)
                  black cofee
                  herbal tea
                  2 bison patties (65 g of protein)
                  zucchinis
                  carrots
                  3 pieces of dark chocolate (6g of carbs only!)
                  3 tbs of coconut oil and some more for cooking

I don't know about calories, don't like to count, so complicated but hope it's enough!
                  Oh! and I feel warm for the first time in my life!
                  Especially since I've been using coconut oil in my cofee, I can feel the warmth not long after.
                  Last edited by Waterlily; 08-04-2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Yup I agree that around 80g looks good.

Comment

65g of protein from two patties sounds like a lot. Quite doable, but big patties. You might want to check that.

Bison has 21.6g of protein per hundred grams, as compared to 19.6 for beef.
                      Anyway, 65g of protein from Bison = 300g of bison meat - or about two thirds of a pound.

Comment

Everybody is different with goals & measurements:

I believe it's 0.8-1.2 per gram per pound.

I aim for about 180g protein .

Basically looks like 300g / .75 pounds lunch & 400g / pound dinner.

But sometimes go over especially if I cook a big joint or something as I don't like leftovers

From London England UK

Comment

Originally posted by Bifcus View Post
                          65g of protein from two patties sounds like a lot. Quite doable, but big patties. You might want to check that.

Anyway, 65g of protein from Bison = 300g of bison meat - or about two thirds of a pound.
                          Checked it again, just to make sure. I did a quick calcul, nothing to rigourous. The info I have is 28g of protein for 100g of cooked meat. I cooked 4 patties (big but not huge), 0.499 kg raw and ate two. It might be closer to 55g of protein than 65? It looks like I can add a little more protein to my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bifcus View Post

Wait.... people make patties less than 1/3lb?!?!?!!?

What in the world for? To feed baby chicks?

Comment

Yeah! Bison patties are so good, i could eat all 4 but I have to feed my baby chicks...!

Today was easy to figure ou since it was food with labels (frozen or canned):
                              Chocolate 3g
                              Salmon 39g
                              eggs 18g
                              Pangasius 42g
                              Total 102g and it was easy to attain.

Comment

Working...
                              X