Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davidil View Post
    I'm just not getting it.

I work out at the gym, hard. Five times a week.

Mentally - I can go with NO carbs. I can literally not eat carbs AT ALL because I enjoy meat and salads so much, and have my few restaurants that serve carbless dishes that I love.

But when I don't eat any carbs - I get EXHAUSTED and depressed. So I need to force myself to eat carbs.

I'm THIN, if you'd see me you wouldn't understand why I'm even bothering with this thread, but I'm trying FOR ONCE in my life to get a sixpack. I'm 34, it's now or never.

So what exactly am I don't wrong that it doesn't seem like I'm losing enough fat? I lost a ton, but now I'm stuck somehow.

I'm 5.8, about 154 pounds. What's the carbs / protein / fat ratio I should have, considering that I'm working hard at the gym with weights? I don't do cardio, only lifting.
    just to chime in here, there is a genetic component to how your abdominals will look regardless of how lean you get. You are lean already IMO. Do you do any abdominal work at all? Yeah I know most people here will say you don't need to train your abs but in my opinion, abs is just like any muscle in your body. If you do mostly compound exercises then you are covered. I also think that targeting all part of your abdominal should help with its appearance.
    Umm can we see a pic of your abs?

Comment

What's working really well for me right now is to maintain my protein intake at the same level regardless of what calorie target I set, and distributing my energy calories equal as fat and carbs. My carbs are almost exclusively non-starchy vegetables and fruit. The more starches I eat, the smaller the amount of food there is on my plate, as they displace a much larger volume of produce. But no doubt you need some carb intake to keep up with your activity level. Experiment and keep track to find your sweet spot.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I do abs of course. This is from about two weeks ago.

Attached Files
        Last edited by Davidil; 08-04-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I think leangains might work well for you. Rippedbody.jp has tons of good info and while not primal, if a six pack is what you're after you may want to check it out. Up your carbs for sure, make potatoes and rice your friend.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I do abs of course. This is from about two weeks ago.

nice selfie anyway so based on what I can see losing more body fat should not be your goal at this point. Build some mass then cut. You seem to be storing your fat on your stomach this could be due to increased cortisol level. I don't know anything about your lifestyle but it could be stress related, drinking if you do and dieting for long periods without giving your body a break. Seriously, bulk then cut. If you want things to be proportioned too I would up the volume on your leg day

Comment

Why do I need more carbs exactly? I'm not getting it.

Comment

The more exercise you get, the more carbs your body can tolerate or may need for optimum function.

Comment

As you shift from low intensity exercises to higher intensity exercises the fuel needed to produce the required energy to fuel the muscles will shift from fat to glucose. If you supply the body with enough glucose to fuel high intensity exercise you should not experience the symptoms you are currently experiencing. You can create your own glucose out of the amino acid pool in your blood but amino acids are better used to rebuild lean mass. You clearly do not have insulin issues so consuming carbs can only have a positive impact on your health as well as your body composition.

You could consume:

Non workout days:

1-1.5 g of protein per lbm
                  50 - 100 g carbs
                  Balance of cal from fat.
                  500 - 1500 cal below maint. cal

Workout days:

1-1.5 g protein per lbm
                  200 - 300 g carbs
                  Bal of cal from fat.
                  At or slightly above maint. cal

Don't do high intensity work outs more than 3 times a week.

As you can see depending on the day the ratios will vary greatly.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                  Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

The thing is that I lost so much fat not having carbs, I can't wrap my mind around the idea that now I need to have more of them.

Comment

The thing is that I lost so much fat not having carbs, I can't wrap my mind around the idea that now I need to have more of them.
                      You don't have to barrel in there and just do it. Just keep your mind open to the idea, and maybe experiment with it when you feel ready.

Comment

"500 - 1500 cal below maint. cal"

What? Don't I need about 2000 a day? So 1500 below maint. cal is... 500 calories?

Comment

What? Don't I need about 2000 a day? So 1500 below maint. cal is... 500 calories?
                          Think of a weekly maintenance total, not daily ones, if maintenance is your goal.

Comment

Losing fat due to eating no carbs does not mean you're going to put on fat if you start eating carbs. If you're in a caloric deficit and protein is accounted for, macronutrient composition doesn't matter in the slightest.
                            My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

To eveyone screaming eat more carbs.... here lies the rub (IMO)...

If OP has to go super low calorie to drop that last bit then he only has so much to work with. He NEEDS protein. So he needs meat that inherently comes with fat. Probably at least like 100-140 grams of it if my guestimation is right. There is 400-600 calories there. Unless he's living on chicken breast alone (not very primal to not eat the whole animal IMO) then you gotta give him 1000-1200 calories of meat/day. That leaves about 100g of carbs if he really wants em though right? That will take you to 1400-1600 calories. How low did OP say he was.... I forget? Anyway, that would be my Rx to get there OP. A caloric restriction is inherently lower carb for us mere mortals (see 160lb middle agers ).
                              Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-04-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

If you are a male and working out 5 times a week then you need well over 2500 call for maintenance. You could safely go down to 500 cal. per day. Call it IF or whatever just as long as it is infrequent like twice or three max a week.
                                Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Working...
                                X