Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Let me just pop in here real quick with a question (can add details if interested): how does treating IBS and/or leaky gut fit into a Peat-inspired or Peat-recommended diet? For example, someone who appears to be lactose intolerant and gets severe bloating/constipation from starches.

WWRPE (What would Ray Peat eat)?
    The emphasis would be on a low residue diet with a daily carrot salad. This would do a few things. One, give the gut time to heal while removing foods that cause bacterial overgrowth. Two, remove endotoxin. Three, keep bacteria/fungus/whatever else in check with some antibacterial foods (carrot and coconut oil).

Dairy can be avoided at first and then slowly added back in in small amounts paired with sugar to i prove digestion. Or if dairy just plain doesnt work, take a calcium supplement.

This exact plan worked remarkably well with what i know think was some sort of colitis or sever ibs. I would get extreme pain in the lower right abdomen where the small intestine meets large. Havent had a flare up in months and my inflammation is gone.

Comment

• It sounds like you're already basically eating Peat, just add more gelatin and bone broth. Fruit only as much as you can tolerate. When I have too much or combine it, I know I made a mistake right away.

AFAIK, hydrolysate and regular gelatin have the same benefits. I use both but prefer the hydrolysate because it dissolves in water.

I'm also trying to avoid high FODMAPS, but I've been reckless lately. I do well with white rice, potatoes, and lower fat. I just learned recently that it could actually be because I produce too much bile in response. Too little, too much. Ugh. stomach y u no work??

The only thing I know about candida overgrowth is the advice to NOT starve it of sugar or it starves off the good bacteria as well. I really don't know much about it or if I have it or what I have. I have a million symptoms and few answers. I do think experimentation is the best course of action. Knowing is only half the battle; you need to put it in practice.

Oh yeah, the carrot salad. I loved it but my stomach hated it. So there's that. But you mentioned that you tolerate goat dairy (!!) Have that. I don't tolerate any dairy anymore. Maybe ghee in small amounts, but my stomach really rejects casein and lactose these days. I've been taking KAL oyster shell calcium supplements 1-2 pills a day for calcium.
      Last edited by j3nn; 10-14-2013, 06:42 AM.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
        The emphasis would be on a low residue diet with a daily carrot salad. This would do a few things. One, give the gut time to heal while removing foods that cause bacterial overgrowth. Two, remove endotoxin. Three, keep bacteria/fungus/whatever else in check with some antibacterial foods (carrot and coconut oil).

Dairy can be avoided at first and then slowly added back in in small amounts paired with sugar to i prove digestion. Or if dairy just plain doesnt work, take a calcium supplement.

This exact plan worked remarkably well with what i know think was some sort of colitis or sever ibs. I would get extreme pain in the lower right abdomen where the small intestine meets large. Havent had a flare up in months and my inflammation is gone.
        I've seen this thing about the carrot salad before. http://raypeat.wikispaces.com/Carrot+salad Is apple cider vinegar cool, or must it be white vinegar? I have both. Perhaps I will try starting my day off with a carrot salad for a few days. Doesn't sound terribly filling though. I guess that means bringing some fruit to work to eat after?

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        It sounds like you're already basically eating Peat, just add more gelatin and bone broth. Fruit only as much as you can tolerate. When I have too much or combine it, I know I made a mistake right away.

AFAIK, hydrolysate and regular gelatin have the same benefits. I use both but prefer the hydrolysate because it dissolves in water.

I'm also trying to avoid high FODMAPS, but I've been reckless lately. I do well with white rice, potatoes, and lower fat. I just learned recently that it could actually be because I produce too much bile in response. Too little, too much. Ugh. stomach y u no work??

The only thing I know about candida overgrowth is the advice to NOT starve it of sugar or it starves off the good bacteria as well. I really don't know much about it or if I have it or what I have. I have a million symptoms and few answers. I do think experimentation is the best course of action. Knowing is only half the battle; you need to put it in practice.
        Bone broth! Yes, I need to get some more grass-fed beef bones. I made beautifully gelatinous beef broth in my slow-cooker once, so I know I can do it again!

I have heart burn sometimes, haven't yet pin-pointed what's causing it. DGL helps beautifully. I tried Betain HCL w/ pepsin before meals, but it only worked for a few weeks. Then I didn't seem to need it anymore and started getting heartburn no matter the dose.

Yeah, I've been trying to starve the bacterial overgrowth, but I'm really feeling like that is not the right way to go. It's been a couple of years with that, and over a year of chronic constipation. Something has to change.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• The carrot salad is best eaten in the afternoon, not really as a meal but more like a supplement. ACV is most likely OK, i dont even both and either just a carrot or two or add some lemon juice to it.

To best resolve bacterial overgrowth, stick to sugar and remove starch entirely for awhile. This was the single best thing i did for my gut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
            The carrot salad is best eaten in the afternoon, not really as a meal but more like a supplement. ACV is most likely OK, i dont even both and either just a carrot or two or add some lemon juice to it.

To best resolve bacterial overgrowth, stick to sugar and remove starch entirely for awhile. This was the single best thing i did for my gut.
            I always thought the carrot is best eaten first thing. Can one overeat cooked carrots? I remember something about Beta Carotene but not sure if this is with carrot juice, not the whole thing. (Beta carotene is similar to PUFA in that less is better, right?)

I'm really enjoying spiralled carrots fried in butter or coconut oil with herbs. (I also eat one raw a day, not cut up) I might even make a carrot cake, with molasses and coconut oil/powdered sugar frosting. A tonne of nutrition in that.

Comment

• Okay, afternoon would work. I could easily prep it in the morning. Do you use fresh lemon juice or pre-bottled?
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by Nstocks View Post
                I always thought the carrot is best eaten first thing. Can one overeat cooked carrots? I remember something about Beta Carotene but not sure if this is with carrot juice, not the whole thing. (Beta carotene is similar to PUFA in that less is better, right?)

I'm really enjoying spiralled carrots fried in butter or coconut oil with herbs. (I also eat one raw a day, not cut up) I might even make a carrot cake, with molasses and coconut oil/powdered sugar frosting. A tonne of nutrition in that.
                Yea too much beta carotene is not good. Just dont eat so much that you turn orange and you will probably be ok. Carrot salad in the morning kn an empty stomach can effect blood sugar. Best to at least get some oj in first.

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                Okay, afternoon would work. I could easily prep it in the morning. Do you use fresh lemon juice or pre-bottled?
                Yea its pretty easy, you could even bring all the stuff to work and do it there. I use fresh lemons, add some to my juice in the morning as well to help liver function.

Comment

• Hat tip to Otzi for this link:

Melato Cola™ or What? Fructose for Improved Glucose Metabolism and Melatonin to Counter Fructose Overload - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
                  " fructose could actually improve instead of impair your glucose metabolism ...

Restricting your fructose intake to fructose from fruit, only, getting enough sleep and using melatonin timely, i.e. 20 min before bed would thus appear to be a more prudent approach to improve / maintain optimal blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity."

I would add raw fermented honey and tree saps to fruit as another source of fructose for improving glucose metabolism.
                  Originally posted by tatertot
                  Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                  "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• What's the view on agar? I have only used it in lab for growing bacteria. Lol! I know it comes from seaweed so can't be too bad right?

I found these and all it is in the almond one is agar, sugar, gelatin, almond extract. The mango has yellow food coloring. I guess I should investigate how to make my own mix.

I feel like this made with lite coconut milk + some fruits would be amazing for dinners after workouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                    ------
                    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Ray Peat thinks it feeds bacteria(funny, right?)

I ate those once, they're good
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                        Ray Peat thinks it feeds bacteria(funny, right?)

I ate those once, they're good
                        ... But everything feeds bacteria... ;(

I like how it adds so much to regular gelatin in terms of texture...

Okay won't buy anymore -_-; I was excited to see these in Chinatown

------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• it's similar to carageenan in how it's produced

"Agar or agar-agar is a gelatinous substance derived by boiling a polysaccharide in red algae, where it accumulates in the cell walls of agarophyte and serves as the primary structural support for the algae's cell walls"
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            it's similar to carageenan in how it's produced

"Agar or agar-agar is a gelatinous substance derived by boiling a polysaccharide in red algae, where it accumulates in the cell walls of agarophyte and serves as the primary structural support for the algae's cell walls"
                            Ugh. Fine... ;( is it as allergenic as carageenan too?

------

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                              Ugh. Fine... ;( is it as allergenic as carageenan too?

Yeah, it's the same family, so probably. I doubt it'd hurt to eat it once in a while though. I just had some pectin yesterday, egads
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                                Yeah, it's the same family, so probably. I doubt it'd hurt to eat it once in a while though. I just had some pectin yesterday, egads
                                Okay. I will finish these two and go back to making jello treats with tempered egg yolk instead. Flan.

------

Comment

Working...
                                X