Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by j3nn View Post
    This is sort of off topic, but maybe someone knows something that can help. My kitty, China, is hyperthyroid and on medication for it. He's almost 12 and has an insatiable appetite these days due to it. They eat mostly carnivorous with a few crunchy treats and grain-free dry food in small amounts. Any good resources for what to do for him beyond his RX? The vet they go to is a racket; the CW of the pet world.
    sorry to hear that j3nn. anything healthwise to do w/ our pooksies is tough! I've heard:

    -oddly, they too can have too high or too low iodine in diet. not sure how to test but maybe worth researching online
    -BPA in cans can contribute to condition but smaller cans of wet food contain less of this **whatever your stance on BPA**
    -and PBDEs (fire retardants) can be in a high-fish diet. these apparently can contribute.

    oddly, my own feline has some of these symptoms but my vet says his tests show high liver enzyme problems. damn tricky to diagnose but you are doing the best thing possible by keeping China high protein. been shown recently to have sizable benefit for longevity of felines, beyond what was even previously understood.
    Last edited by spk; 10-12-2013, 03:25 PM.

    “you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

    Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      That post and all these threads are the funniest thing ever.

      Comment


      • Just drank a glass of cold milk with gelatin added...it all sank to the bottom. :P Does it mix in better if the milk is warmed in?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by sabrina90 View Post
          Just drank a glass of cold milk with gelatin added...it all sank to the bottom. :P Does it mix in better if the milk is warmed in?
          Yea, liquids need to be warm.

          Comment


          • Lesson learned.

            Comment


            • Woke up at 4am this morning and starving despite eating 2 lbs of soursop, dates, milk w/ maple syrup last night. Even though it feels like I'm eating more, the calories are still around 1800-2000 only. Daily carbs over 300g, almost 200 of that from fruits and sugar. My temps are still lowish between 36.1 and 36.6C. Eat more? Supplement?

              Comment


              • Does anyone know Peat's stance on raisins and other dried fruit, like banana chips?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                  Woke up at 4am this morning and starving despite eating 2 lbs of soursop, dates, milk w/ maple syrup last night. Even though it feels like I'm eating more, the calories are still around 1800-2000 only. Daily carbs over 300g, almost 200 of that from fruits and sugar. My temps are still lowish between 36.1 and 36.6C. Eat more? Supplement?
                  Use more salt, maybe supplement coconut oil and get more protein.

                  Originally posted by sabrina90 View Post
                  Does anyone know Peat's stance on raisins and other dried fruit, like banana chips?
                  Dried fruits are good.

                  Comment


                  • ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1381627896.626147.jpg
                    Eclectic Peat dinner is eclectic.
                    "Wow, another smoothie"-my roommate 😁
                    Bowl: cottage cheese with mango chunks and drizzle maple syrup
                    Cup: smoothie with frozen banana, blueberries, honey, Hershey's special dark choc powder, ricotta, low fat milk

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by spk View Post
                      sorry to hear that j3nn. anything healthwise to do w/ our pooksies is tough! I've heard:

                      -oddly, they too can have too high or too low iodine in diet. not sure how to test but maybe worth researching online
                      -BPA in cans can contribute to condition but smaller cans of wet food contain less of this **whatever your stance on BPA**
                      -and PBDEs (fire retardants) can be in a high-fish diet. these apparently can contribute.

                      oddly, my own feline has some of these symptoms but my vet says his tests show high liver enzyme problems. damn tricky to diagnose but you are doing the best thing possible by keeping China high protein. been shown recently to have sizable benefit for longevity of felines, beyond what was even previously understood.
                      Thanks. He's the only one who will eat raw meat. I am going to give him more bits of liver for a treat. I feel bad that he's always so hungry, and he never sleeps! Cats are supposed to sleep 22 hours a day; he sleeps like 22 minutes, lol.
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

                      “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sabrina90 View Post
                        [ATTACH]13758[/ATTACH]
                        Eclectic Peat dinner is eclectic.
                        "Wow, another smoothie"-my roommate ��
                        Bowl: cottage cheese with mango chunks and drizzle maple syrup
                        Cup: smoothie with frozen banana, blueberries, honey, Hershey's special dark choc powder, ricotta, low fat milk
                        Looks more like a dessert than a dinner.
                        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

                        Comment


                        • Let me just pop in here real quick with a question (can add details if interested): how does treating IBS and/or leaky gut fit into a Peat-inspired or Peat-recommended diet? For example, someone who appears to be lactose intolerant and gets severe bloating/constipation from starches.

                          WWRPE (What would Ray Peat eat)?
                          Depression Lies

                          Comment


                          • I have IBS as well. Considering Peat doesn't have a specific protocol, there are alternatives. Choco posted an excerpt in another thread which touches on dairy-intolerance:

                            Based on all these factors a moderate plan for weight loss would be a diet of mostly low fat milk/dairy products free of allergens(such as vitamins, enzymes, cultures, vegetable/microbial rennet and gums), ripe fruits such as fresh squeezed strained OJ, grapes, cherries, melons, tropical fruits and nutrient dense foods such as liver, shellfish, eggs, cocoa. If you have no sources of clean dairy or do not tolerate it you could use bony cuts or muscle meat+gelatin from ruminant animals and potatoes. Egg shell or oyster shell can be used as a supplement to get the needed calcium. Sodium can also replace calcium to a certain degree and a high sodium diet will help keep stress hormones low and metabolism high. Unripe fruits such as bananas, apples, peaches etc. can be cooked to be made more tolerable, other wise they should be avoided.
                            I don't tolerate dairy anymore either. It saddens me, but I would just eat what you can and focus on nutrient-density. So that means apply what you like of Peat, emphasis on the gelatin, bone broth, liver, bivalves, eggs, fruit juices, and other healing foods that you like. Don't distress your digestion even more by following things that others find success with. I can't do coconut oil in more than a lick at a time; I can't do dairy. I'm good with starches, but fat and fruit bombs are out for me. So what am I left with for a Peatly diet? Lots, actually. I'm sure Peat would suggest eating what you can, not what you don't tolerate. Check the chart on the main page and skip the dairy and starches. Make your own fresh juices to avoid fiber; use only fruits you tolerate. Eat leafy greens that are cooked to death or better yet, cook them to death and strain the leaves out and eat the broth with meat.

                            Peat isn't anti-meat at all, he's just pro-calcium, hence the dairy.
                            Last edited by j3nn; 10-14-2013, 06:33 AM.
                            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

                            “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

                            Comment


                            • So basically fruit, fruit, fruit, liver, shellfish (y u so expensive?), fruit juice, eggs, gelatin. Not sure about cocoa since I know chocolate in the form of candy/bars goes right through me. Will have to see.

                              Nice to know about cooked fruits, since I am planning on making applesauce soon. I think I might do a Peat trial soon and see what happens. Currently, I eat whatever meat, saturated & mono-unsaturated fats, cooked squash, bananas, eggs, and goat milk. That's about it, aside from the carrots, onions, and celery in my chicken soup. I am not sure if my gut tolerates onions or celery, however. I haven't given them an adequate trial.

                              Are collagen hydrosylate and gelatin interchangeable in terms of health benefits? I have the former, currently, and have been adding it to tea or goat milk (which I tolerate fine) daily. My nails are much stronger and grow faster now .

                              Another thing I struggle with is what would generally be called candida overgrowth (but for me presents in vaginal yeast infections). Wheat & refined sugar seem to exacerbate the effects. I have taken a lot of antifungals just to keep the symptoms at bay. Probiotics don't seem to help, but I guess Peat isn't really into that? One slip up and I'm back where I started.

                              TBH, I'm less interested in the "science" behind things and more interested in how it works for me, so I'm willing to experiment.

                              I may hang around to get a sense of what people eat daily & pick out the dairy-heavy meals. I have a hard time conceptualizing meals until I see them.
                              Depression Lies

                              Comment


                              • I don't eat dairy either and do fine. Eggs, sardines, meats, bone broth, gelatin etc. the thought of drinking tons of milk every day makes me feel ill, actually.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X