Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    It is NYC. I have to pay $2.99/lb. ;(
    Understood - I grew up in LA.

I love living in a small town...
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
      I've had the opposite experience. Since switching over to drinking a good deal of my calories in the form of juice w added sugar (about 800 cals/day for the past 5 wedks) my appetite has significantly decreased and I'm finding it difficult to get myself even to 1600 cals per day.
      Lucky bugger
      My Journal

Comment

• "I eat bananas almost every day. I just make sure they are very ripe (sugary). You can have blueberries, as they have no seeds in them. Apples are recommended peeled and cooked, ideally." Quote from Graycat....what's up with the very ripe bananas, and cooked and peeled apples? I must have missed something, why eat them like this?
        The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
        SW - 192
        CW - 180
        GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

• Blueberries have tiny seeds. O_O
          | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            Blueberries have tiny seeds. O_O
            Blaspheme!!! Peat has spoken, blueberries do not have seeds!

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
              Then they're not a fruit
              My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                Then they're not a fruit
                I think they lay eggs. They are the platypus of the fruit world.

Comment

• I found an interesting study out of Korea for you guys.

"The subjects in the highest quintile of the 'dairy and fruit' pattern showed a decreased risk of osteoporosis of the lumbar spine (53 %) compared with those in the lowest quintile, after adjusting for covariates... In contrast, the 'white rice, kimchi and seaweed' dietary pattern was negatively associated with bone health..."
                  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23578480/

Which is hilarious to anyone whose ever read anything on bone health and diet or anything out of Korea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                    Oh, fearless leader, please do not smite me.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

• I think I should probably be cautious with dried fruits. Bought a pack of dates (600g) on friday night, and it's gone now (sunday noon). They're extremely easy to overeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                        "I eat bananas almost every day. I just make sure they are very ripe (sugary). You can have blueberries, as they have no seeds in them. Apples are recommended peeled and cooked, ideally." Quote from Graycat....what's up with the very ripe bananas, and cooked and peeled apples? I must have missed something, why eat them like this?
                        Well, there is no reason to be that militant in regards to raw apples (I'm not), it's really not a big deal, however I'm just dropping this here:

"I think underripe apples are always dangerous. Any organic apple is
                        likely to be o.k., but usually it's safer to convert them to
                        applesauce (cooked), making them more digestible. Storage or stress
                        can affect the apple's allergenicity, and incomplete ripening leaves a
                        variety of toxins. Malonic acid, even at a very low concentration, can
                        cause severe bowel inflammation.

Most people can eat an occasional random apple without getting
                        symptoms such as constipation, hemorrhoids, headache, sniffles,
                        sneezing, gas, joint pain, restless sleep, etc., so in moderation the
                        toxins don't matter too much. But when there's a symptom, the fruits
                        with ripening problems should be high on the list of suspects.
                        R.P
                        Re. bananas: as they ripe the starch content decreases in favor of sugar. Sugar > starch. Of course, shelf ripened is not prefect, but well, nothing is

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                          Your TSH seems to indicate you may have resistance to thyroid hormone. Do you get enough selenium? You may want to take t3 throughout the day, with a bit of t4 at night, or use cynoplus.
                          Interesting, thanks Derp.

I was taking supplemental selenium for a while, but then read some conflicting things about supplementation vs whole foods. I eat eggs daily (at least 2) and I was doing the brazil nut thing. I haven't gone back to eating more red meat yet, but heading there. Supplement form is better in this case?

I could split up my Armour tablet for now, currently taking the 30mg in one go; but would the thyroid supplements suggested from iHerb suffice, or is this something I have to go through my doctor to get? For Cynoplus, looks to be prescription unless I want to go through that Mexican drugstore site, hah.

Comment

• Originally posted by spk View Post
                            Can folks tell me why you sometimes mention taking Vit E topically? Is there a pro / con to that vs. oral supplement?
                            sigh. Anyone? Its not as sexy as brown spotted bananas but there doesn't appear to be a Moar Peaty Supplements thread...

off to enjoy cottage cheese

you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop. Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by spk View Post
                              sigh. Anyone? Its not as sexy as brown spotted bananas but there doesn't appear to be a Moar Peaty Supplements thread...
                              I think some people use vit E for skin conditions (acne), and see more efficient results using it topically.
                              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Originally posted by spk View Post

off to enjoy cottage cheese
                                Different absorption rates, and more concentrated on the area you apply vs all over vit e (ingested).

I am not speaking from peat's advice though... Just what I know from biotech/pharma background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                                ------
                                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                                X