Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
    So, folks, sorry to bug you, but iw as wondering what you will advise for reducing cortisol level. I tried searching internet, and the advice given was self-contradictory and wtf'ish (reduce fat through eating nuts... duh?) Does this article below make sense or is it a complete BS?

How to Decrease Cortisol Levels | eHow

Please, remember that blood testing on anything but the basic level is not available to me (Canada).
    The better test for cortisol is a 24hr saliva test which, if your doc won't request for you, you can order from an independent lab in the States, you can find websites for them. It'll cost you $125, but you have to decide if it's worth it.
    As for other bloodwork, check off what you want tested on the requisition on your way from the doc to the lab. I do it, and my doc has not once realized things she didn't request were tested. Either the Calgary Lab Services or AB Health website has a listing and explanation of all the tests that are on the requisition form in case you don't know the abbreviation for the test you're looking for.
    For your cortisol question, though...avoiding blue light after dusk (tv, smartphone, computer) is recommended; the orange glasses are good if you just can't get away from blue light sources after dark. Going to bed the first time your energy dips in the evening (ever notice if you stay up really late you get tired, then get a second wind, then tired again?) is good. My ND has me taking a short course of phoaphatidyl serine before bed, as I am also dealing with cortisol issues and have been waking up between 12am-2am for the last month or so and been unable to really get back to sleep after. Sleep in a pitch dark room (easier to sleep with a mask on) and expose yourself to light, especially sun, upon waking (will be impossible to do here soon, I know).
    My ND hasn't recommended anything specific as far as diet, she's happy with how I'm eating.

Comment

• How do you get your doctor to give you the test numbers though? Mine won't call unless something is abnormal, which means never. Is there a way to pay to the Clagary Lab Services to send a copy to the patient?

Thank you for the rest of the tips, I will try it. I go past fatigue in the evenings all the time. Heck, for the past few days I feel like I can fall asleep any hour of the day.

I am wondering if I have to give up aikido. I love the class but from 7 pm to 8:30-9 pm, it just throws my whole schedule crazy....
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Leida, I'm not sure how the Canadian healthcare system works in regards to requesting specific tests or disclosing to you your own patient info, but you might want to be assertive and insist on it.
        You could also purchase at home saliva cortisol test. I know these are available online, and in drugstores too, possibly.
        No offense, but I honestly think you are working out too much.

Comment

• I make a follow up appointment with the doc to go over all the values and write them down as she reads them all off to me. If yours won't, you can always call your doc's office and ask if one of the nurses will give you all the values over the phone, I've done that too. I believe there is a section at the top of the form to put info for where to have the lab send copies of the results but I think it's just for other physicians. Ask next time you're at the lab, it can't hurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graycat View Post
            Leida, I'm not sure how the Canadian healthcare system works in regards to requesting specific tests or disclosing to you your own patient info, but you might want to be assertive and insist on it.

No offense, but I honestly think you are working out too much.
            +1 to both of these.

Comment

• yeah, I think I hit the rock bottom. So, I am taking the afternoon off work, and a week from any gym activity but aikido and hapkido. Something is just not right. I will see what my doc can do in terms of the test results. She is not exactly a star physician, lol.

Comment

• On any pathology form I've seen, there's a spot for who to send copies to. I always handwrite 'patient' there and they send me a copy as well as my doctor.
                My Journal

Comment

yeah, I think I hit the rock bottom. So, I am taking the afternoon off work, and a week from any gym activity but aikido and hapkido. Something is just not right. I will see what my doc can do in terms of the test results. She is not exactly a star physician, lol.
                  Hugs Leida.

If it's any consolation, rock bottom became the solid foundation upon which I built my life.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]stolen from someone wise
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Btw, I recommend going for extensive hormone panel testing. Sex hormones, thyroid hormones (all - not just TSH), cortisol, serotonin. I recommend this to pretty much everyone I speak to in here - probably three people have actually followed my advice and they all found out they had hormonal imbalances.

I got my cortisol tested by blood - I think it's sufficient.
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• A test that's more comprehensive than just the saliva cortisol test is something called the adrenal stress index. You can also order that online. For example, here: Adrenal Stress Index Test It costs $172, and I plan on getting it after I move. (No point in doing it now since I'm sure my stress levels are through the roof because of the impending move.) You can call and see if they'll ship to Canada. They probably will, unless there are government regulations in Canada that prohibit it.

One thing that my acupuncturist told me and that I find impossible to do is to go to bed at the same time everyday, even weekends. It supposedly really messes up your hormones if you go to bed at 10 pm on weekdays and stay up till 1 am on weekends.

Another thing to try is an adaptogen. Rhodiola worked like a miracle for me. I used the NOW brand and took one capsule at bedtime. But you develop tolerance to adaptogens so you have to rotate them. So you would take rhodiola for a month, then stop, take something else for a month, rotate back to rhodiola for another month, and so on. Other adaptogens include ashwagandha, eleuthero root, holy basil, and ginseng. The only other one I've tried is ashwagandha, which didn't do anything for me. I'm going to have to try the other ones. But rhodiola really worked--it was quite unbelievable.

My journal

Comment

• Thank you, YB. I am thinking that I will see if the doc can refer me to an endocrinologist when I see her on the 10th. I think because I have not had tea or coffee for a good 6 weeks or more now, I am actually seeing the fatigue response more clearly.

Comment

Thank you, YB. I am thinking that I will see if the doc can refer me to an endocrinologist when I see her on the 10th. I think because I have not had tea or coffee for a good 6 weeks or more now, I am actually seeing the fatigue response more clearly.
                          <3

That happened to me when I started taking raw thyroid. It lowers stress hormones, and for three days I was completely comatosed. I feel you.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                            That happened to me when I started taking raw thyroid. It lowers stress hormones, and for three days I was completely comatosed. I feel you.
                            Aha, maybe that's why I'm dead tired when I first started (and this week doubled) my Armour dosage...

Comment

Thank you, YB. I am thinking that I will see if the doc can refer me to an endocrinologist when I see her on the 10th. I think because I have not had tea or coffee for a good 6 weeks or more now, I am actually seeing the fatigue response more clearly.
                              Unfortunately, good luck getting that referral. I asked for one too, having my last thyroid panel come back showing my TSH at 3.33 (lab range for 'normal is 0.5-6.0). After a four month wait, the endo's ofc declined to book me for an appt saying a full workup had already been done on me and there were no apparent issues.

I do second the hormonal workup, though...the more you know

Comment

• Originally posted by diene View Post
                                Another thing to try is an adaptogen. Rhodiola worked like a miracle for me. I used the NOW brand and took one capsule at bedtime. But you develop tolerance to adaptogens so you have to rotate them. So you would take rhodiola for a month, then stop, take something else for a month, rotate back to rhodiola for another month, and so on. Other adaptogens include ashwagandha, eleuthero root, holy basil, and ginseng. The only other one I've tried is ashwagandha, which didn't do anything for me. I'm going to have to try the other ones. But rhodiola really worked--it was quite unbelievable.
                                Huh! Interesting. I thought it was supposed to "rev" you up a bit so when I took it (the same NOW brand), made sure it was in the a.m./afternoon.

Did you prefer it at night for any particular reason? I'm just ordering more; been off for a month and didn't cycle anything else in during that time.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Working...
                                X