Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoL! You serious?

Comment

• Originally posted by Graycat View Post
      LoL! You serious?
      I thought I was joking, but upon further investigation, it appears "in the butt" is the most accurate. Hahahah.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...perature#page1

Comment

• I use a glass one orally and that seems pretty consistent. The digital ones can vary a lot.
        PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• I didn't know they still made glass thermometers. With the cool mercury in them? I loved breaking them and playing with the merc as a kid...but I digress.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Guys, I just made something savory with gelatin. O_O Had to tell someone about it.
            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• J3nn..spill it. Do you use the hydrolized or the other one?

Comment

• I use both; hydrolysate for adding to cold drinks as it doesn't gel, the regular for cooking and firming texture. I used the regular red container this time. I just have to see if it turns out before I post it. I'm waiting for it to firm up.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Well why do I want to order the yellow can? You are the second person to bring up the red can. I will be waiting with baited breath for your food. As asked of Zach and Knifegill..photo please. Thank you.

Comment

• Nevermind..there is no yellow can. Geeze..

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                      Okay, this is crazy. A solution to troubleshooting!

When I started initially my macros were probably 65:20:15 (C:P:F), and I felt great. Lost weight, slept well, etc etc. But gradually I started to listen to the protein mantra, and thought I need to eat a ton of it to build muscle. I began to notice some hair loss, and thought I needed more iron, so ate more protein. My periods started coming more frequently, so I ate more iron-rich... protein. I started to feel hungrier, so ate more gelatine. Then my weight loss stopped dramatically, so I ate more protein.

Without realising it I moved from a high-carb diet to a higher-protein one, until I was probably eating 50:30:20! All this just compounded the problems, until my sleep began to suffer seriously, and my gums started bleeding. I realised I was doing something wrong.

"Too much protein without carbohydrate could increase cortisol" - Ray Peat. My last blood test showed that my cortisol had increased. I went too high on protein it increased my cortisol, and I bet this is why my sleep, hair, gums suffered. There's even a link between high cortisol and increased menstrual bleeding!

In the last three days I've changed my macros a lot: I've lowered my protein significantly and replaced with carbs. I'm back at 65:20:15 (C:P:F). Almost instantly: I'm sleeping the night through, my hair is less dry and has stopped falling out, my gums stopped bleeding, and I have less appetite! I even think I'm losing weight again, because I took my measurements today and was at a new low.

Just goes to show that with any woe you've got to take responsibility, keep monitoring, and gage your symptoms. Oh, and that carbs are magic!
                      That is spectacular !!! and informative. Been trying my own ways of incorporating the suggestions made by you, Derp & Zach -- but haven't felt like I understood enough of Peat to ask more informed questions yet. Trying to read all I can. I think this ratio you described makes sense.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                        I use both; hydrolysate for adding to cold drinks as it doesn't gel, the regular for cooking and firming texture. I used the regular red container this time. I just have to see if it turns out before I post it. I'm waiting for it to firm up.
                        Are you okay? Cooking stuff is awesomely hard. I like you J3nn. Shocked, but I do.

Comment

• I've got a question (again!)

For the most part I'm really enjoying more Peat/less Paleo. EXCEPT the between meal shakes, dizziness, headache, brain fog of pre-paleo is back. And I hate that. I didn't seem to notice this the first 1-2 weeks of Peat, but the last 2 weeks it has been pretty bad. I'm so happy to finally have bingeing controlled that I don't *want* to go back to paleo - but these between meal blood sugar crashes (I'm assuming...) are really frustrating. Anyone else go through this?

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                            I like you J3nn. Shocked, but I do.
                            Don't be too surprised. I don't have haters, only fans in denial.

Comment

• Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                              I've got a question (again!)

For the most part I'm really enjoying more Peat/less Paleo. EXCEPT the between meal shakes, dizziness, headache, brain fog of pre-paleo is back. And I hate that. I didn't seem to notice this the first 1-2 weeks of Peat, but the last 2 weeks it has been pretty bad. I'm so happy to finally have bingeing controlled that I don't *want* to go back to paleo - but these between meal blood sugar crashes (I'm assuming...) are really frustrating. Anyone else go through this?
                              Tell us what you're doing and we may be able to troubleshoot for you. "More Peat" means different things to different people.
                              My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                                Don't be too surprised. I don't have haters, only fans in denial.
                                Lol..perfect!! I thought you were mean. You aren't really.

Last edited by oceangrl; 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X