Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing fancy... Store bought, semi-skimmed - less than 2% fat. When I have hot milk I sometimes dilute it with water.

But cheese definitely bloats me too
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Is coconut water a good option to drink? I'm not drinking much OJ because lately the bulk oranges have been poor quality. I'm still drinking around 1L of goat milk and though about buying raw but it's almost 4x the price, which isn't very appealing.

Great deal on a lot of Vitacoco on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vita-Natural...=coconut+water

EDIT: Turns out that Raw goat milk and current promo on coconut water are the same price. Roughly £24 for 8 litres. (£12 of that is shippings costs for the milk )
      Last edited by Nstocks; 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        What's the texture like? I always imagined it's like squid!
        It's rubbery like squid, but softer (squid is like gum to me). It has to be cooked a long time so it's soft. Tripe does have a distinct organ taste though.. I don't mind because I eat all organs, but my husband wouldn't touch it.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          Just another note on aspirin: I read that if you take it with coffee it's like taking T3!

Also, does anyone (ie. Derp and Zach) know how to improvement tolerance to dairy? Danny Roddy suggests just eating it as much as possible but I've been eating it for three months now and it's still bloating me. Have been doing the milk with sugar too...
          Have you experimented with different brands of milk? I thought I was lactose intolerant for the longest time because I used to get gassy and stomach pain after drinking milk. But I found brands without added vitamins are just fine, now I can drink a quart a day without problems.

I'm still trying different brands of cheese though. Some give me gas and some don't. Daisy's cottage cheese do
          Last edited by girlhk; 09-12-2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• I have made a few basic changes to my life and diet in the last 2 weeks and have seen some positive results. Figured I may as well share.

Summary of changes made:

-I am having orange juice with a tablespoon of potato starch every morning
            -I allow myself to drink orange juice whenever I want to
            -I have been eating more cheese
            -I have been eating oysters on occasion
            -I have been using a Squatty Potty
            -I have a glass of milk with a tablespoon of gelatine every night before bed
            -I've been going to sleep before 10pm (often before 9:30)
            -I've been waking up at 5:30 every day
            -I've been exfoliating my face with baking soda every 3 days
            -I've been using diluted apple cider vinegar as a skin toner

Results:

-No more digestive problems. I am having daily BMs with no pain and no feelings of blockages in my intestines.
            -I have more energy. Not the kind of boundless energy that I would like, but I am not dragging myself at the end of my work day either.
            -I am sleeping well and waking up easily.
            -My skin looks younger and tighter
            -I think my lips look more pink (not sure if I'm imagining this one)

Moving forward:

-I am most happy with the digestive improvements. That alone is enough to keep me going with my new habits.
            -I have about 20 pounds to lose so time will tell if anything changes in that regard
            -I would like to increase my daily gelatine, but think that it makes me sleeping if I take it earlier in the day. More experimentation is needed.

Love this thread!

Comment

• I'm giving up dairy again - and I think this time for good. Can't say I didn't try - every possible form in every manner. The last gallon of milk I drank was local, organic, grass fed, no vits added, 2% fat. And with each cup I felt a bit more.... off? I can't even describe it objectively. It's just this innate feeling that dairy is not good for me. Also this may just be in my head, but I always feel like I'm losing weight, go back to eating dairy, and it comes back and/or stalls. There are a ton of other factors and I could just be imagining it, but either way I'm done. I will probably buy some pure calcium carbonate to supplement with. Thought about using molasses for calcium but I really can't stomach it - and I will eat anything. I think it's the iron I'm tasting in it that makes me recoil; it tastes like when you bite the inside of your lip and bleed into your mouth...
              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
                I'm giving up dairy again - and I think this time for good. Can't say I didn't try - every possible form in every manner. The last gallon of milk I drank was local, organic, grass fed, no vits added, 2% fat. And with each cup I felt a bit more.... off? I can't even describe it objectively. It's just this innate feeling that dairy is not good for me. Also this may just be in my head, but I always feel like I'm losing weight, go back to eating dairy, and it comes back and/or stalls. There are a ton of other factors and I could just be imagining it, but either way I'm done. I will probably buy some pure calcium carbonate to supplement with. Thought about using molasses for calcium but I really can't stomach it - and I will eat anything. I think it's the iron I'm tasting in it that makes me recoil; it tastes like when you bite the inside of your lip and bleed into your mouth...
                You are not the only one here. I always feel great, then decide to have that Tbsp of organic cream with my coffee and/or have several oz of goat/sheep cheese per week, and my weight loss stalls. I think for some people it's just not a food their body likes. Which is fine. Unless you love the taste of dairy, in which case that really sucks for you.
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Some people report better tolerance to dairy after taking aspirin, but, some people really can't tolerate lactose. Genetics plays a pretty large role here. Could get tested for that, it showed up in my results. Of course, I don't have any dairy allergies.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

• Pretty sure lactose and casein are not compatible with me. I love all forms of dairy, but just can't swing it anymore. I've been taking oyster shell calcium supplements lately; they seem to be better tolerated. I take them with magnesium glycinate to absorb the magnesium.

I've also been using Epsom salts to wash my face with. They're a wonderful exfoliant and have been making my skin softer; I moisturize with vitamin e oil directly afterward. Going to implement aspirin facial masks 1x/week. The cute Asian girl video convinced me.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• I would test for a genuine allergy as opposed to digestion problems. A lot of white people I know were lactose intolerant only because they have messed up stomachs from PUFA, salmonella, etc;
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

• What is the best allergy test for dairy allergies? When I was a newborn, the hospital said I was intolerant to dairy formula. Sometime in childhood (I think) I did ok with it, ice cream stand and all. But then in my 20s everything changed for the worst.
                        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                          What is the best allergy test for dairy allergies? When I was a newborn, the hospital said I was intolerant to dairy formula. Sometime in childhood (I think) I did ok with it, ice cream stand and all. But then in my 20s everything changed for the worst.
                          demonstration of IgE against milk protein in the blood, or skin testing. It's to set apart an actual allergy from lactose intolerance, or to give you a better idea of where you stand on dairy.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• It depends on the dairy for me - I seem to be ok with the raw milk cheddars but I added skim cottage cheese back into my diet over the last week and my stomach hates me. I've never liked drinking milk and think I'm going to just give up on dairy. A lot of stuff Peat says makes sense, but adult humans drinking baby food isn't one of them, at least to me. So it's back to eggs, gelatin and seafood for most of my protein, which was working well enough before.

I've been feeling like doing a fast lately - anyone done one and for what length of time? I just feel like my body needs a break from food.

Comment

• Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Originally posted by Zanna View Post

I've been feeling like doing a fast lately - anyone done one and for what length of time? I just feel like my body needs a break from food.
                              I love to fast*. What a relief it is. Most recently I did a 5 day master cleanse, would have gone longer but i was thrown off by a death in the family. I've done longer fasts on fresh juice or master cleanse with short water fasts mixed in. I've been toying with the idea of doing a peat inspired liquid fast- oj, milk, coffee, gelatin, sugar, maybe even ice cream. I need a reset button after the 3 rd death in 6 weeks, I've been stress eating.

*on liquids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

• Is the master cleanse the kind where it dredges all sorts of crazy stuff out your body or more like a liquid fast? I've seen pics of where people get the horrific black slimy things expelling from the body and that seemed kind of shady. I was thinking of doing a water/ACV/salt drink and maybe some bone broth.

Comment

Working...
                                X