Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more reason to pay close attention to iron levels and prevent iron overload: UCLA study suggests iron is at core of Alzheimer's disease / UCLA Newsroom

+1 for Ray Peat
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• What really got my attention from Peat's articles about iron is what he said about pregnant women supplementing iron resulting in babies being born w/ jaundice.

My ob/gyn had me taking iron supplements because she said my iron levels were low. I also ate a lot of beef. My daughter was born with jaundice. I asked the pediatrician why this happened, and all she said was almost all babies are born with jaundice.... hmm, almost all pregnant women supplement iron along w/ their prenatal vitamins.
      Last edited by girlhk; 08-31-2013, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        One more reason to pay close attention to iron levels and prevent iron overload: UCLA study suggests iron is at core of Alzheimer's disease / UCLA Newsroom

+1 for Ray Peat
        It's like with the fish oils - I bet the more time passes, the more Peat's idea will be revealed to be in the right direction.
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• So what's the deal with salt?
          Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            One more reason to pay close attention to iron levels and prevent iron overload: UCLA study suggests iron is at core of Alzheimer's disease / UCLA Newsroom

+1 for Ray Peat

So what's the deal with salt?
            In what way?
            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              In what way?
              How much and why

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
                How much and why
                Lowers aldoesterone and adrenals, essential electrolyte, and it depends on how you feel. My body is hot, and my metabolism is high, so I get no more than 4g a day usually in a 3:1 ratio of potassium to sodium.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

• I just spilled a huge box of old supps and medication all over my floor and found an amino balance formula that had been given to me by my naturopath.

Ingredients: A proprietary blend of branch chain aminos (valine, lencine, isoleucine, glutamine, taurine, lysine, glycine, gaba, tyrosine, arginine, tryptophan)

What do you think? I know it has tryptophan but that seems to be the last ingredient. It doesn't say anything else on the label.
                  Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Great Lakes Gelatin - Products

Gelatin supplement, what say you?
                    Anyone using anything worth posting - do post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
                      Great Lakes Gelatin - Products

Gelatin supplement, what say you?
                      Anyone using anything worth posting - do post.
                      Great Lakes is hands down the best brand of gelatin I have come across.

I first used the Knox brand, which was okay for making gelatin-type desserts from fruit juice but I didn't trust the quality as it's a major commercial brand.

Then, I started ordering the NOW brand gelatin. I like NOW brand in general, but their brand of gelatin tends to clump at the bottom if you make jello, and if you try to take it by the spoonful, it sticks to the roof of your mouth/teeth/spoon like crazy, plus it has a terrible taste and smell.

My husband finally ordered Great Lakes, and it is such a pleasure to take! It dissolves quickly, and has a mildly sweet smell. It's worth paying a little extra, plus it comes from grass fed cows, I believe.

Comment

• Peat panel: Any info on oyster shell calcium? I can't do eggshells, my stomach protests and dairy is out ATM.

Derp: Do you have a desiccated thyroid recommendation? What you said about consuming the thyroid makes a lot of sense--all organ matter for that matter--but liver is my squeamish limit.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Oyster shell is the same as egg, in that it's calcium carbonate.

Natural Sources, Raw Thyroid, 90 Capsules - iHerb.com

Seems to be the least offensive, but FDA requires nonprescription thyroid extract manufacturers to remove the t3 That doesn't happen a lot of the times, by "mistake", but when taking it I'd watch for signs of t3 working.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Ooh, that thyroid is cheap. Good deal.

Comment

• Have you tried mixing the liver in hamburger btw?
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• Derp, I notice you mentioned a couple of times on other threads that in years gone by a whole animal would contain traces of thyroid. I'm wondering if that would still be the case for grass fed beef etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X