Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pulse races after eating mostly fat (eg sour cream only or coconut milk only) or mostly carbs especially very sweet fruits. I always thought it was because body can't handle and a sign to stop eating.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
      I'm coming to think that eating A LOT of meat is actually not natural for humans at all. I've been watching a lot of survival shows lately, and what is striking is no matter what show it is, getting a lot of meat does not happen too often. Usually, there is a lot of gathering of fruits and plants and tubers, with some fish, insects, a small bird or rodent (which yields very little meat and often is shared). Only rarely does a big kill happen, which is followed by a day (or a few) of gorging on meat, and then not so much for quite a while.

Eating big portions of meat on a daily basis is mainly possible with the advent of the supermarket, and while I'm a firm believer that animal protein and fat are critical, I don't think we are designed to be eating a huge portion of them with every meal. Lately, I've reduced my meat intake by a lot (though I still try to have a very small amount with most meals, which can even be something as little as one spoonful of gelatin mixed into some jam or oatmeal, or rice cooked in bone broth, or a few bites of liver) and then having a bigger serving of muscle meat once or twice a week. and my body seems to be really happy with this. I'm not losing muscle, either (In fact, I think I gained some muscle eating this way while doing a lot of outdoor labor).
      hey I think you are definitely looking in the right places, altho i would like to add to this. Our ancestors IMHO would've thought of their diet in years (seasons) rather than days or weeks. So they may have eaten just meat for weeks at a time, or no meat for months. Modern day man finds this very alien and hard to conceptualize. Our bodies aren't sensitive to daily diet, we are sensitive to dietary fluctuations over weeks and months. Our bodies detect good and bad seasons and adjust accordingly (ie lose fat, down reg metabolism etc etc)

^^^^ this is the key to ancestral eating.
      A little primal gem - My Success Story
      Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        Okay, it definitely sounds like hypoglycaemic insomnia then. That's very similar to what I have. Your blood sugar is probably dipping too low at night, and this stimulates the release of hormones that regulate glucose levels (adrenaline, glucagon, cortisol, etc), which give you an energy spike and wake you up.

Try experimenting with a really high dose of honey before bed and see how that works for you. I know it's not great calorie-wise, but one night won't undo anything

Congrads on your weight loss! How's your satiation on this woe?

And thank you I was surprised to see the difference again in my pics - I lost a chunk off my hips. It's just such a relief to finally be getting my body back.
        Last night I had a tablespoon of honey with salt sprinkled on that.
        Woke firstly at 12:00, then every hour thereafter.
        At 3:30 I couldnt get back to sleep at all, took about an hour, then had about 30 mins more sleep and then up for work,
        Everytime I woke, I just wake, don't need to go to the bathroom or anything,

I thought Hypoglcaemic insomnia was when someone wakes up starving. I'm not hungry when I wake, not anxious or anything, just wake up, I wish it would stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slinkykitty View Post
          I thought Hypoglcaemic insomnia was when someone wakes up starving. I'm not hungry when I wake, not anxious or anything, just wake up, I wish it would stop.
          Hello, try to do something really physically demanding once in a while and see if you are exhausted enough to have a straight night sleep. Maybe add some resistant starches in your diet, I read here and there that it may improve things but it is a little hard to reach 30-40g / day ...

EDIT: I will give you an example: I had been a light sleeper even as a kid, unlike my brothers who could sleep through thunder storms! And then, as a young student who needed money, I took a 4 weeks job as a helper in grape harvesting in the Beaujolais area (north of Lyon - France). I worked all day long, sweating and hurting my back and knees, under the "surveillance" of a manager who would not let us rest for very long. We had to harvest every possible good grapes ... by dinner time, I was so exhausted, I could sleep through the merry mess of my fellow harvesters ... until 5am the next day I emerged from this period 5kg lighter, sun-tanned and very good at sleeping through the night, at least for a while ...
          Last edited by FrenchFry; 08-20-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• Just getting started with this thread... thanks for starting it j3nn! Here is what I ate today. I would love to hear any input if anyone is interested. I'm quite new to this coming from primal for 3 years... a lot of it very low carb. Felt great for awhile, but was always strongly drawn back to carbs and overeating. I am hoping for improved energy, hormonal balance, and mood stability. I'm pretty excited about eating this way! I love dairy and I love orange juice!

3 cups of coffee with half and half (just the normal ultra pasteurized-probably not the best, but I like it) and about a tsp of raw turbinado sugar (should I used refined or raw?)
            *don't normally drink 3 in the morning, but I was up at 4am ...lol

Tillamook vintage white cheddar
            Orange juice with gelatin

2% organic (vat pasteurized) lowfat milk
            1 plum

16 oz coconut milk

6 oz steak with butter and parmesan cheese
            Orange juice with gelatin

I ran it through Fitday. I don't count calories and never plan to, but was curious. May have over-estimated portions, not sure.

1925 kcal
            51% fat (111 grams)
            27% carbs (134 grams)
            22% protein (100 grams)

Sat fat 62%
            Mono fat 34%
            Poly fat 4%

Nutrients below the RDA (if that means anything ?)

Vitamin E 22%
            Copper 77%
            Iron 36%
            Manganese 47%
            Vitamin D 89%
            Potassium 75%
            Thiamin 76%
            Magnesium 92%

The rest were above the RDA.

Some other notes: I have not been able to stick to a workout program for more than 3 weeks due to extreme fatigue and exhaustion. Those routines consisted of 20-30 min light cardio or weight training intervals. I worked out about 3-4 days per week in addition to walking my dog daily (but at a pretty slow pace and for only about 30 min). I am hoping this will help me get back to a normal energetic workout routine. I have severe PMS and have for many years despite eating primal. I am loving the gelatin in orange juice - so easy to take it now! Would like to incorporate more coconut oil ...don't use it much, mostly just butter. This is my first official Peat day so looking forward to and hoping to report good results!

Now heading back to somewhere near the start to continue reading! Glad we can be a support to one another-- hoping we all have good ideas and experiences to share!

Comment

• I would say way too much fat. You probably will feel bogged down and have lots of crashes. Not a Peat diet at all, he recommends twice the amount of grams in sugar to combined fat+protein.

Comment

• Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                Some other notes: I have not been able to stick to a workout program for more than 3 weeks due to extreme fatigue and exhaustion. Those routines consisted of 20-30 min light cardio or weight training intervals. I worked out about 3-4 days per week in addition to walking my dog daily (but at a pretty slow pace and for only about 30 min). I am hoping this will help me get back to a normal energetic workout routine. I have severe PMS and have for many years despite eating primal. I am loving the gelatin in orange juice - so easy to take it now! Would like to incorporate more coconut oil ...don't use it much, mostly just butter. This is my first official Peat day so looking forward to and hoping to report good results!
                Have you had sex hormones and thyroid checked? The fatigue you described sounds like what I go through in my workouts from low cortisol. Try adding some salt. That's helping me.... along with other things.

Comment

• I forgot to add that I drank a can of coconut water, also.

Zach... first day so should improve with a little time and reading. I have hardly read anything, but wanted to start into it and continue reading. I think I am really worried about going lowfat. i still feel the need for fat... maybe that will diminish? Eating a high saturated fat diet really helped me get over disorded eating. Again, time and tweaking to figure out what I'm doing. Any tips for keeping fat on the lower end?

Comment

• Originally posted by brooke.S. View Post
                    Have you had sex hormones and thyroid checked? The fatigue you described sounds like what I go through in my workouts from low cortisol. Try adding some salt. That's helping me.... along with other things.
                    Thyroid... yes. Hormones... no. I already use salt... maybe need more?

Comment

I forgot to add that I drank a can of coconut water, also.

Zach... first day so should improve with a little time and reading. I have hardly read anything, but wanted to start into it and continue reading. I think I am really worried about going lowfat. i still feel the need for fat... maybe that will diminish? Eating a high saturated fat diet really helped me get over disorded eating. Again, time and tweaking to figure out what I'm doing. Any tips for keeping fat on the lower end?
                      The coconut milk and half and half are just pure empty calories. Replace the half and half with your 2% and replace the coconut milk with a good portion of fruit.

Comment

Thyroid... yes. Hormones... no. I already use salt... maybe need more?
                        I was just wondering if you had low cortisol. My workouts took a nose dive at the beginning of the year and it was due to low cortisol.

People with thyroid and cortisol issues tend to have electrolyte imbalances. I never thought I'd see the day when I was adding salt to my food because I always had bad water retention. But it helps with so many things.

Maybe try 1/4-1/2 tsp before a workout. That should help your muscles not fatigue as easy, as well as cortisol. (If that's an issue.)

Comment

• Thanks brooke.S, appreciate your input.

Thank you, Zach! Looking forwarded to getting into the swing of this.

Anyone experience a need to eat a lot in the beginning? Maybe due to your body needing extra nutrients? I feel quite hungry tonight, but could be TOM that's doing that as well.

Comment

• Re: sleep, use red light therapy and gelatin before bed. GABA will also help with sleep.

healthy11: increased appetite is normal, try eating more fruit and less fat.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

Anyone experience a need to eat a lot in the beginning? Maybe due to your body needing extra nutrients? I feel quite hungry tonight, but could be TOM that's doing that as well.
                              Hey healthy, welcome to the thread Really glad that the Peat stuff is resonating with you - it's changed my life and my relationship to food.

Initially I was eating the same amount as previously (2-3K cals), but after two weeks my appetite suddenly disappeared. For eg. - yesterday I had breakfast at 10am, then didn't eat again til 8pm. I'm finding myself fasting more because I couldn't be bothered eating...! Considering I used to watch the clock for meal times, this is a pretty significant change.

Maybe every six days I get really hungry, and I'll eat a whopping 2000+ cals. Other than that, I'm probably hitting 1.5K though this is a pretty rough guesstimate. Yesterday I had a lot less. I'm 5'8 and very active, so one would expect I'd need to eat more than that to feel satiated, but I don't!

Cannot describe how amazing it feels not to be a slave to my appetite anymore
                              Last edited by YogaBare; 08-20-2013, 10:56 PM.
                              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Thanks YogaBare! For periods of time doing low carb I felt like I wasn't a slave to my appetite, but eventually that wore off. I'm not very active right now due to fatigue. Would really love to see what everyone is eating in a day! Please share!

Comment

Working...
                                X