Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could not resist, and bought a bag of 2 wild pinks that looked extremely fresh and were quite cheap. I baked one and it tasted great, and I salted up the second. Since nobody else in the family eats salted fish, I will be severely deviating this week in terms of PUFA intake eating salmon daily. I can't summon remorse.

In response to YB's question, I am not feeling scatter-brained, but I am going through a phase of increased mom-mares & fear of violence. I dunno if it is because I am so pathetic in the martial art classes that I was doing through the summer. It is very unpleasant state of mind. This morning I skipped walking to the office through the park because it was dark & I knew I would be having fear jolt at every shadow or bike-commuter. Anyway, not sure if it has anything to do with the WOE.

What does have to do with the WOE is the decrease in fruit/sweets cravings. It's like because I have it every day and don't feel ashamed, I don't eat it as much & do not binge on fruit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
      Just wondering, has anyone noticed a change in cognitive function on this woe? I'm a complete feather brain, and... I hate to say it... I feel like i'm getting worse! I literally can't leave the house without forgetting something, I can't remember what people say to me, can't remember whose serve it is when I'm playing tennis etc.

Ironically, my mind is sharp, and I'm finding it very easy to communicate my thoughts, and have witty banter with people. So I don't know if I'm just noticing my scattiness more because I have more energy and am juggling more things (so there are more things to forget ) or if there's some correlation with the woe.

Has anyone else has noticed anything, or has any suggestions for improving this?
      Yes. That would be me. I'm a little forgetful and I lately say or even do the oddest most unexpected things on an impulse. Last week I was a upset that I couldn't pull myself together for some reason. TBH, I don't believe it to be directly diet related, and I rather attribute those strange for me patterns to the weight loss and the release of toxins in the body from the stored body fat. I can literally see some I've had on for many years melting off.

Originally posted by Leida View Post
      What does have to do with the WOE is the decrease in fruit/sweets cravings. It's like because I have it every day and don't feel ashamed, I don't eat it as much & do not binge on fruit.
      Yes to this for me as well. Sugar (fruit and/or in other forms) is no longer off limits and well, it is not that sought after anymore either. It's just something that I now eat.

Comment

• Exactly, the magic of food being... you know, food. I still can't overcome the emotional barrier to eating grains and legumes. Starting tomorrow, I will try including some into my diet again. It is true that once the habit is formed it is easier to follow it than not. Sometimes to a ridiculous extent!

My major habit forming attempt will again be the 'stop eating after dinner' thing. I am one of the millions that are derailed by the night-time eating. Starting with just eating raw cabbage after supper.

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
          This is how I divide up my diet currently, except I'm avoiding dairy for a sprint to see how that goes. Not everyone does well on high fat and/or high meat diets. I am going to cut down on my muscle meat in favor of more gelatin (bone broths mainly). Using bone broths to cook everything in place of water really minimizes your meat needs.
          Yeah, it's weird to be eating less meat and be feeling so good about it, because I've always been a heavy meat eater, and if I didn't have meat front and center in at least 2 meals a day, I'd have a weird empty feeling after eating, like something was missing. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or a physical thing, but somehow even just cooking with bone broth seems to completely satisfy this need.

The reason I started eating this way (small amount of animal fat/protein with each meal) came from something I read in Nourishing Traditions, about how even a very small portion of animal fat and protein makes a huge difference in how vegetable/grain protein is digested and absorbed, and most traditional cultures around the world have eaten like this (cooking rice and beans with some animal fat, for example). It seems like foods have a magical synergistic effect on each other that can make them more than the sum of their parts. I also read that consuming small amounts of heme iron with non-heme iron helps the body to assimilate the non-heme iron more efficiently.

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
          I'd describe her (and myself) as 80% Primal. Anyone who eats whole foods basically is. Potatoes, fruit, tapioca, honey, maple syrup, and rice are all Primal "approved", so I don't consider them deviations even if they exceed the carb curve recommendations.
          I guess this is true. That god-awful carb curve is what really repels me from considering myself 'primal'. I think his carb curve probably came out of a need to give many people what they think they need: a black and white rigid protocol (eat this all you want, don't eat this other stuff at all) because they have such an unhealthy relationship with food and can't handle the big picture message 'eat real foods, don't overdo it, get outside, have fun and use your body to do physical stuff'.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          Just wondering, has anyone noticed a change in cognitive function on this woe? I'm a complete feather brain, and... I hate to say it... I feel like i'm getting worse! I literally can't leave the house without forgetting something, I can't remember what people say to me, can't remember whose serve it is when I'm playing tennis etc.

Ironically, my mind is sharp, and I'm finding it very easy to communicate my thoughts, and have witty banter with people. So I don't know if I'm just noticing my scattiness more because I have more energy and am juggling more things (so there are more things to forget ) or if there's some correlation with the woe.

Has anyone else has noticed anything, or has any suggestions for improving this?
          I have noticed that in the past few years (when my ferritin has been its lowest) that my short term memory has really suffered and I'm more at a loss for words, and learning has been torturous. Iron is so critical for cognitive function, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you described was related to your iron issues, but this could just be me too focused on iron; you know what they say about having a hammer and everything looking like a nail.

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            Agreed. I will make an updated chart, what do you guys think?
            I don't think a chart of calories works for Peat. I like his quote about not having any stipulated foods but listening to the body of the individual (or something along those lines!).

I think the biggest mistake with Peat is people thinking that just drinking orange juice with salt, milk with sugar, and adding in Gelatin is "peat style eating". For me the biggest takeaway is using body temp and pulse to measure the impact of food and changing according to that.
            Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by simonb View Post
              I don't think a chart of calories works for Peat. I like his quote about not having any stipulated foods but listening to the body of the individual (or something along those lines!).

I think the biggest mistake with Peat is people thinking that just drinking orange juice with salt, milk with sugar, and adding in Gelatin is "peat style eating". For me the biggest takeaway is using body temp and pulse to measure the impact of food and changing according to that.
              I didn't mean a calorie or quantified amount of any food recommendations, I meant just the lists of popular foods with no quantification. I don't like the idea of recommending any amount of specific foods, either. I think recommending a diet of 50% dairy is preposterous; not everyone should do that, but can if they want to. Except for a loose recommendation to get enough protein, which is general, not really Peat-specific.
              Last edited by j3nn; 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM.
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• For me the biggest takeaway is using body temp and pulse to measure the impact of food and changing according to that.
                A link, if you have it? That's new. I can't really measure body temp since I gave up on getting a thermometer that works. But pulse is easy!

Comment

• I'm interested to hear how others on this thread view vegetables.

I used to eat a ton of them, always thought of them as very healthy, blah blah. I think they were a contributing factor toward my IBS, and when I started eating low fiber to relieve my IBS, I felt a million times better.

Now, as a result, I have a hard time thinking of vegetables as being so healthy, and combined with reading Peat's critical view of veggies, I favor fruit over veggies, and look at veggies as constipating anti-thyroid oxalic acid insoluble fiber bombs, and tend to avoid them except in small amounts.

I'm more focused on using fresh herbs from my garden in my food (or simmering carrots and onions in my bone broth), rather than cooking a vegetable dish. (I'm into whole real foods, but I think sugar is healthy and vegetables are not... I sound like a total wacko

Comment

• I also have a new view of vegetables. I still like many of them but I don't think my stomach does, so I've been avoiding them. Peat says the ones with seeds are probably ok (because they're actually fruit; tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc.) I still eat a bit of them but not nearly the amount that I used to. I think there are better ways to obtain the same nutrients, and that's what it all comes down to. But of course, if you like vegetables and do well with them, I think it's nonsensical to avoid them. Eat what you do well with! But surely there's no need to force things you do not even like for the sake of it looking good on paper.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• I have significantly cut back on consuming vegetables, especially raw ones and my digestion is much better now. I no longer get bloated. I don't think much of the nutrients in vegetables, esp. the green ones are bio-available anyway.

Comment

• I love vegetables, always did. Radishes, turnips and carrots are probably my top veggie. The only ones I did not like were kale, Asian squashes, pumpkins, sweet potatoes and salad leaves. Sometimes I can't stand jikama and tomatoes. When I was growing up, most of our salads were root veggie based, mostly cooked, with some herbs, not the green salads like here based on spinahc and lettuce etc. Instead we eat tons of cabbage, nettles and sorrel in soups.

I actually like the fresh cabbage bloat as it induces me to stop eating after supper.

I am eating more fruit, less vegetables now, but I think I am still >>>> the recommended 5-10 servings, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                          I'm interested to hear how others on this thread view vegetables.
                          I wanted to ask people here the exact same thing.

I used to eat high fiber, low carb, low fat veggies all the time, and was pretty much always bloated. Now I've let go of the mentality that veggies are healthy, and finally my tummy doesn't look 6 months pregnant after eating. I also stopped eating cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, green leafies, etc) for a few months, nowadays eating a lot of fruit, and feel good.

I still eat eggplant, pumpkin, carrots, and bitter gourd occasionally for enjoyment. And also because my husband expects vegetable curries.

The difficult part was figuring out what to eat instead of vegetables? I've been preparing veg dishes for so many years.

Since I cut down on fibrous veggies, digestion has been so much better. Helps to avoid hemrrhoids.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                            I have noticed that in the past few years (when my ferritin has been its lowest) that my short term memory has really suffered and I'm more at a loss for words, and learning has been torturous. Iron is so critical for cognitive function, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you described was related to your iron issues, but this could just be me too focused on iron; you know what they say about having a hammer and everything looking like a nail.
                            It's possible... but on one hand my mind is quite sharp, but I'm just getting more forgetful. Does Peat have any views on the theory that alzheimers could be "Type three" diabetes?

Re. veggies: i ate a cucumber a month ago, and I think that was the last veggie I've had..! It's weird, considering I was a vegetarian for so long. I don't miss them at all.

I'm not noticing an improvement in bloating though tbh. It seems like most things bloat me But I think my gut issues must be something else. I have IBS-CD, and for the first few weeks eating Peat my BMs were a mess. But now things are really good in that department! So something's happened. I guess part of it was an adjustment to eating so much fruit.
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

Comment

• Originally posted by simonb View Post
                                For me the biggest takeaway is using body temp and pulse to measure the impact of food and changing according to that.
                                Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                A link, if you have it? That's new.
                                Yeah, can we talk more about this? What are people's views on Peat's views on body temp and pulse?

Also, Simon I'm really interested - do you measure your pulse and temp after eating? Have you noticed a correlation between certain foods, and how does this tie in with how the foods make you feel? Since I stared doing the mono / duo meals I've noticed which foods give me the best energy, but I never thought to take my pulse / temp after them.
                                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X