Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ninani View Post
    When is usually your last meal?

Today I ate cca 2600 kcal, 60 percent from carbs and 50 g of fats. Carbs were mostly from oats we shall see if anything happens....
    Anyway I am off to bed now and I ate one hour ago (10 pm). Curd with some honey. Probably it is "stupid" but I feel guilty eating so late
    Lower the fat and the grains. Otherwise it's a fattening combo...

My last meal is around 7-9pm these days. Used to be 6-7pm. Thank you summer...
    JOURNAL..
    @BabesWithBBQ.
    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
    Professional Style Website.
    #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by ninani View Post
      When is usually your last meal?
      I usually eat between 7pm and 8pm, and go to bed around 10.30pm. If you sleep well and feel good, I wouldn't worry too much!

This is what I eat in a normal day. I don't know if it fits Peat, but I eat a ton of fruit every day!

Breakfast: An entire honeydew melon blended with lime juice and water, then coffee with coconut milk.
      Lunch: A huge bowl of cherries and blueberries at my desk. Then two avocado sushi rolls at a lunch meeting.
      Afternoon snack: Most of a watermelon and a bowl of cottage cheese. (Probably bad food combining, but it doesn't bother my stomach.)
      I'll go for a long run when I get off work, then make a bowl of banana 'ice cream' for dinner with 6 or 7 frozen bananas, a big handful of frozen cherries, and a splash of vanilla extract.

I do eat meat, eggs, and cheese when I feel like it, but they just aren't appealing to me right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by mantra View Post
        I usually eat between 7pm and 8pm, and go to bed around 10.30pm. If you sleep well and feel good, I wouldn't worry too much!

This is what I eat in a normal day. I don't know if it fits Peat, but I eat a ton of fruit every day!

Breakfast: An entire honeydew melon blended with lime juice and water, then coffee with coconut milk.
        Lunch: A huge bowl of cherries and blueberries at my desk. Then two avocado sushi rolls at a lunch meeting.
        Afternoon snack: Most of a watermelon and a bowl of cottage cheese. (Probably bad food combining, but it doesn't bother my stomach.)
        I'll go for a long run when I get off work, then make a bowl of banana 'ice cream' for dinner with 6 or 7 frozen bananas, a big handful of frozen cherries, and a splash of vanilla extract.

I do eat meat, eggs, and cheese when I feel like it, but they just aren't appealing to me right now.
        That sounds delicious!!!
        JOURNAL..
        @BabesWithBBQ.
        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I think today was great.

breakfast:
          1/2 of honeydew melon + rooibos tea with splash of milk and with 1bs gelatin

snack:
          1c of cherries
          4 apricots

lunch:
          2 hardboiled eggs
          1 tomato
          1 cucumber

snack:
          2 nectarines - 300 g (without pits)

dinner:
          250 g of light curd
          2 medium carrots
          1 medium zucchini

I admit I am a little hungry at the moment but I will go to bed soon and rather eat in the morning.
          Today is a little less food but I was good yesterday.

EDIT: ok, I checked my macros... only 1200 kcal

Q:
          Fruit right before sleeping - yes or no?
          Last edited by ninani; 07-07-2015, 01:20 PM.
          @goodiesforme

Comment

• ^^^
            Sounds delicious but I am not surprised you were hungry!

I see no problem with fruit before sleep. I take a spoonful of honey before sleep because it is half fructose and half glucose and this seems to be the perfect balance to give me a really peaceful nights sleep. So a fruit with a similar composition might also be helpful.

Comment

• Good, thanks

Good night
              @goodiesforme

Comment

• Banana is 50:50 fructose:glucose. Also high in potassium and magnesium so super good for sleep!!
                JOURNAL..
                @BabesWithBBQ.
                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Do you watch out about eating fruit and brushing teeth?
                  Today*after fruity breakfast I remembered advice from my dentist that I should be careful when brushing teeth after meal especially fruits.
                  How do you guys solve this?
                  @goodiesforme

Comment

• Most dentists will tell you that when you eat sugars, bacteria in your mouth produce organic acids. This increase in acidity causes your tooth enamel to dissolve and may lead to cavities and tooth decay. However, not all sugars are created equal. The same dentist will tell you that consumption of fresh fruit (the process required to dry fruits apparently releases free sugars), vegetables, milk and starchy foods doesn't have the same impact as "free sugars" do. Even citrus fruits shouldn't cause tooth decay, though they may cause dental erosion. Brushing your teeth immediately after eating an acidic food or drink will accelerate removal of the softened enamel.

Others say that low stress, adequate intake of vitamin K and other vitamins and minerals, a healthy thyroid and low/adequate levels of estrogen will decrease instances of tooth decay. This article gives an interesting commentary on research made in that direction.

Personally, in addition to doing my best to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I wait at least half an hour after a meal before brushing my teeth with a soft round-tip toothbrush.

Comment

• I wouldn't say it's the sugar that's an issue, it's the acidity. I wouldn't brush my teeth immediately after consuming acidic fruits. In fact in general I swish my mouth out after eating and hold off brushing for at least 20 minutes.

Comment

• When dentists tell you to take care about brushing your teeth after eating, you're right, they are concerned about the acidity of your food softening the enamel which could then be eroded off by subsequent brushing. That's dental erosion.

I addressed tooth decay as well because I thought ninani might also be concerned about fruit = sugar = CARIES

Comment

• Thank you both. I had acidicity in my mind
                          In general i dont eat citruses but i am still concerned.
                          @goodiesforme

Comment

• Yes sorry Valentia I realised I was somewhat repeating you too late...

Incidentally my dentist told me one of the biggest problem she sees among women these days is people who drink a lot of herbal tea. I was surprised by this and said that I drank a lot and could think of no reason it would be a problem. She then clarified that she meant fruit teas, which over the last few years have been quite popular alternatives to tea especially for people on diets. Even if just mildly acidic, that constant exposure of the teeth to them if someone drinks them all day can be rather problematic. Luckily I hate all the fruity herbal teas!

Comment

• I read all 222 pages but still - carobs?
                              Anything special about them?
                              I really like the taste of carobs

Today my macros were 60 % carbs, 26 % proteins, 14 % from fat (less than 30 g).
                              I'm proud
                              And a photo... 4 nectarines with cinnamon and hot cocoa drink with gelatin.
                              @goodiesforme

Comment

• Does anybody know if it's ok to mix hydrolyzed gelatin into scrambled eggs before cooking them? Does it add any off flavors or damage the gelatin in any way?
                                __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                                Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                                End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Working...
                                X