Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mamaherrera View Post
    yes that's been the only tough thing for me about Peat, how to get enough protein. i'm shooting for 181 grams and it's tough even with meat. And how much protein would a cup of bone broth have, any ideas?
    181g is a lot.. I think Peat doesn't recommend over 150g.

Bone broth nutrition content would vary a lot. I wouldn't consider it a significant source of protein.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      I forgot to mention milk and coffee with a little sugar. I like Peat's take on coffee, I've heard so many say if your adrenals aren't functioning properly (mine aren't) you shouldn't drink coffee. From what i've read Peat isn't all on board with the concept of adrenal fatigue. I'll give up coffee if I have to but I'd rather not. I usually only have one large mug in the morning, with lots of milk, a little sugar and gelatin.
      Coffee with milk and sugar helps reduce the stressful effects of coffee. Since my energy levels have been more stable since starting Peat, I can limit myself to 2 cups in the morning. Before I used to feel like I really really need caffeine in the afternoon because I'd get tired.

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
        Poll: How strict are you guys with seed-fruit? It just so happens I absolutely LOVE berries and kiwi, especially blueberries. I eat berries second in amount to ripened BANANAS. During the summer I love mangoes, honeydew, and pineapple. Right now berries seem to be on super sale...and blueberries taste amazing stirred into coconut-flavored things like grassfed yogurt.

Which brings me to... how strict are you guys with fermented foods? I've been eating fermented dairy. Derp said the lactic acid shouldn't be of concern in the amount I'm consuming, and low-fat grassfed kefir is SO easy to use as an "on the go" meal when I'm on a photoshoot.

Finally, I probably eat more eggs/meat than peat recommends. D:

(Peaty Confessions)
        I guess I am strict with the fruit. I eat mangoes, tons of oranges - I'm on a delivery program with the Orange Shop in FL so I get a bushel a month. I can easily eat 5-6 oranges a day so it doesn't go to waste. I used to eat a ton of grapefruit too but read that Peat doesn't like grapefruit cause of the estrogenic properties, that made me sad, I used to eat one gigantic grapefruit every day and do still eat it but now feel guilty. I haven't been buying berries cause it's winter, but no one can convince me strawberries are wrong. I also eat a ton of pineapple - I have crushed organic pineapple on auto-delivery from amazon.

I also eat eggs, but they are local, pastured eggs. When my duck egg guy has them, I buy dozens at a time. They keep forever with the thicker shells.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nekron View Post
          Blend frozen bananas and low fat milk. Maybe you could also use some yoghurt for more protein than milk, never tried it though.
          Originally posted by TQP View Post
          Frozen bananas, vanilla whey, gelatin.
          Hm, are there non-dairy and non-banana options? I don't like bananas >_>
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            Hm, are there non-dairy and non-banana options? I don't like bananas >_>
            You can use ANY frozen fruit of choice to make a sorbet-y type thing.

Frozen Mangoes + a splash of coconut milk (+ gelatin if you want it fluffier...but without it ...it is less fluffy and more scoopable sorbet/ice cream).

Frozen Strawberries/berries/beet + honey

Frozen Berries + 1 T raw cacao

Frozen sweet potatoes + maple syrup + cinnamon + 2T applesauce

Frozen pineapples + honey + lime juice

Oh... and frozen watermelon + coconut water is not a sorbet but fucking heavenly.
            Last edited by TQP; 03-23-2014, 11:02 PM.
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Wow, great combinations. Thanks! Is there another way to beef up the protein other than with dairy?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                Wow, great combinations. Thanks! Is there another way to beef up the protein other than with dairy?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                Any protein powder of choice + 1 T gelatin. That's what I do. It doesn't have to be with whey protein powder. Rice/potato/egg white protein work.
                JOURNAL..
                @BabesWithBBQ.
                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I'm loving this chocolate milk thing, with sugar and cocoa, but just to make sure, Hershey's dark cocoa powder is good right?
                  And with these suggestions for blending up fruit and stuff,are they all in addition to yogurt/milk?
                  Like the pineapple/honey/lime and milk?

Comment

• And which protein powder tends to be the cheapest and purest?

Comment

• Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Originally posted by mamaherrera View Post
                      I'm loving this chocolate milk thing, with sugar and cocoa, but just to make sure, Hershey's dark cocoa powder is good right?
                      And with these suggestions for blending up fruit and stuff,are they all in addition to yogurt/milk?
                      Like the pineapple/honey/lime and milk?
                      No. It was for food processor to make sorbet.

See the first recipe on the food blog in my signature for finished food consistency
                      JOURNAL..
                      @BabesWithBBQ.
                      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I was jw, are sweets like japanese mochi and yokan ok ? (in moderation of course).
                        They are high in refined white sugar, which Peat seems to say is ok but he doesn't say how much.
                        It doesn't contain gluten or any "toxins" per say.
                        I know it also contains red bean paste, but if you look on the nutrition facts of any mochi dessert, it has no fat grams & is basically pure carbs/sugar, so I figure the PUFA/bean content is negligible.

J-Simple Recipes | Y?kan

Comment

• Originally posted by mamaherrera View Post
                          And which protein powder tends to be the cheapest and purest?
                          Eggs have something like 96% bioavailability as a protein source naturally.

Add a scoop or two of gelatin? Suddenly this egg is 99% bioavailable.

Cheap, no-filler added, and extremely usable homemade protein powder base for shakes and smoothies of all types.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                            I was jw, are sweets like japanese mochi and yokan ok ? (in moderation of course).
                            They are high in refined white sugar, which Peat seems to say is ok but he doesn't say how much.
                            It doesn't contain gluten or any "toxins" per say.
                            I know it also contains red bean paste, but if you look on the nutrition facts of any mochi dessert, it has no fat grams & is basically pure carbs/sugar, so I figure the PUFA/bean content is negligible.

J-Simple Recipes | Y?kan
                            I think if you make everything from scratch, including the red bean paste, it's fine. Soaking beans make them easier to digest.

Could you substitute agar with gelatin in that recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• [QUOTE=girlhk;1455839]I think if you make everything from scratch, including the red bean paste, it's fine. Soaking beans make them easier to digest.

Could you substitute agar with gelatin in that recipe?

Srry I just gave the link as an example of the ingredients, but I was actually just referring to store-bought:P, and was wondering if the PUFA was negligible?

Sorry, a couple more questions:
                              Does Peat say anywhere for a recommended limit on refined sugar consumption/day?
                              And on a separate note, has anyone noticed their acne worsen from Peat? I've always had a serving of yogurt/day, but for the stint that I tried eating according to Peat and increased my dairy intake of cott cheese, cheese, kefir and yogurt I noticed my acne worsen. I have heard that dairy can cause acne, but Peat doesn't really mention anything about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                                Srry I just gave the link as an example of the ingredients, but I was actually just referring to store-bought:P, and was wondering if the PUFA was negligible?
                                Store-bought items often contain additives, preservatives, coloring, etc and that's why I avoid them.. not because of the PUFA.

Comment

Working...
                                X