Feeling Cold While Fasting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Cold While Fasting?

Does this happen to anyone else? I didn't have time for breakfast today so I skipped it. I had coffee with cream, but nothing else. Right now, my hands and feet are freezing.

Is this a sign of a thyroid issue? Or is it just a normal reaction to fasting? I've noticed this a lot lately, and my hands and feet always warm up once I eat.

I've fasted today and not noticed being cold. I thought the blood usually diverted to help digestion would get pumped around quicker\easier..

Comment

I always get cold when I fast, so does dh. I think that's normal.

Comment

I think it's perfectly normal. One morning during my fast, a friend of mine commented on how my fingers and toes "were freezing!" I may be wrong, but I have to imagine this is partly due to the fact that a calorie is a measurement of heat, so with a lack of calories comes a lack of warmth. Just my thinking.

Comment

I guess it's not just me then! It's weird, but whatever. I usually don't notice until my hands are so cold that I sit on them at work... it's my body's way of telling me to eat, I guess.

Comment

Could very well be a thyroid issue. Are you female? I don't believe fasting is healthy for most, if not all women.
            A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I noticed during long fasts 24+ hours that my body temp would fall a degree below normal. I think it's the bodies normal response, downregulating activity and metabolism to conserve energy.

After a day or two of normal eating, it returned to normal levels.
              Height: 5' 10"
              Starting Weight: 292
              Starting Primal Weight: 275
              Current weight: 224
              Goal weight: 172
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                Could very well be a thyroid issue. Are you female? I don't believe fasting is healthy for most, if not all women.
                Yes, I'm female and I have thought I had a thyroid issue all my life (TSH is between 2 and 3 usually). Every doctor I've seen says that my lab results are "within range" and blows me off though, and I have seen several doctors about it, all CW but, regardless. So, yes, thyroid is what I'm worried about. I don't want to slow my metabolism anymore than it is slowed already!

I don't even know why I'm fasting... it certainly hasn't helped with weight loss and that's really all I care about. I'm thinking maybe I should just go back to eating breakfast.

Comment

I've noticed this for the past few weeks as well when I'm fasting. I was freezing in my office all morning and it actually felt perfect out in the 90 degree heat when I went outside. It has to be a side effect of the fast because I was always the guy that was hot and miserable going to turn up the A/C.... until I started IF. I have to say though, the changes by incorporating IF have been very noticeable (got me over a hump I've been stuck at for almost a year now even following a strict paleo diet) and are well worth the looks your co-workers give you when you are wearing a sweater in August.

Comment

Being cold and having cold extremities is a sign of a lowered metabolism usually from lack of thyroid and of course calories. Not something to strive for.

Comment

Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
                      I noticed during long fasts 24+ hours that my body temp would fall a degree below normal. I think it's the bodies normal response, downregulating activity and metabolism to conserve energy.

After a day or two of normal eating, it returned to normal levels.
                      this in my experience..... but it takes me longer than 24hr of heavy caloric restriction to notice it in myself

Comment

Yeah I think you're right. But I had already weeks of reduced calories for weight loss going into the fast, so perhaps that made a difference?
                        Height: 5' 10"
                        Starting Weight: 292
                        Starting Primal Weight: 275
                        Current weight: 224
                        Goal weight: 172
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

TSH range is around 1, and under 2. A good Dr will also judge by how you feel, with the labs, neither one alone. Dh and I get cold because we fast for extended periods of time, sometimes up of 17 hrs.

Comment

Your thyroid will down regulate if you restrict calories for prolonged periods of time. This will make you cold and depressed.

It might be wise to skip the IF and eat at maintenance for a while before proceeding further with a calorie restricted diet and IF.
                            Ones who try my curry are not ones to leave in a hurry

Comment

Originally posted by nikitakolata View Post
                              Yes, I'm female and I have thought I had a thyroid issue all my life (TSH is between 2 and 3 usually). Every doctor I've seen says that my lab results are "within range" and blows me off though, and I have seen several doctors about it, all CW but, regardless. So, yes, thyroid is what I'm worried about. I don't want to slow my metabolism anymore than it is slowed already!

I don't even know why I'm fasting... it certainly hasn't helped with weight loss and that's really all I care about. I'm thinking maybe I should just go back to eating breakfast.
                              EAT! Don't go low carb. We women need 'em for thyroid health.
                              A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Working...
                              X