X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver--Superfood?

From here: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...ch/#more-11908

Talk of a rat experiment -
    Group 1 ate a basic rat diet, fortified with 11 vitamins.
    Group 2 ate the same rat diet as group 1, with the addition of supplemental vitamin B complex.
    Group 3 ate the the same rat diet as the first two groups but instead of vitamins or B complex, they received 10% of their ration as powdered liver.

Then they put the rats in a barrel of water and said 'swim or die!'

Groups 1 and 2 swam for about 13 minutes and died. Group 3 (liver fed) swam for up to 2 hours and were allowed to live.

If its good enough to keep a rat from drowning in my toilet then its good enough for me...

Comment

Clearly liver is a major contributor to swimming ability. Grant please?

Comment

I wonder what PETA might have to say about this experiment.

Comment

People who do experiments like that, causing animals to die in desperation and terror for spurious gains, should be thrown down wells, there's no merit in it.

That's not "PETA" or "byunny hugging" - it;s basic human decency.

As for "superfood" - shitty term that comes from the same mindset that saw hydrogenated veg fat replace butter and lard, and then saccharin et al. replace sugar and honey, and now has people scarfing pounds of goji berries and coconut oil per week.

Eat normal food and stop looking for wonderfoods, ffs.

/rant.

Comment

Yeah, it's creepy that they let the non-liver rats die that way. I've known grad students that had to make animals sick for their research, but they always made the end as painless and quick as possible, even though it costs extra money to euthanize the animal.

That said, I think liver is one of the meat gods. A minimum of a half pound a week, and if I'm not in the mood to put it over rice, a whole pound. Some fat and onions to go with. Yum.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

seriously, there was no other way? a tube they could have just plopped to the bottom of when exhausted from holding on the sides?
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

I feel high after eating rare liver. For days. I haven't gone on any marathon-like tirades to find out whether or not I'll drop dead or get a cramp. The fear of a cramp is more than enough to generally keep me away from fitness for life. But, yes. Liver is pretty darn magical.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I can't get that exact paper right now, although I have read about it several times. The authors have another paper that shows a low fat diet extends cold water swimming time as well. They considered a mouse done when the head was under water for 30 seconds. I wonder if they plucked them out then or if that is enough to drown them. It is horrible to think they would use that as an endpoint though. That would never happen now.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Oh - they did let them drown. What a pointless endpoint.

"period of 15 seconds.
                    The selmtion of the end point was based on
                    preliminary studmies in which it was observed
                    that rats almost never remained submerged
                    below the surface of the water for more than
                    5 seconds and almost never for more than 10
                    seconds of their own accord. As the end point
                    of a swim was approached, the rat would submerge
                    for periods of 5 !to 10 seconds with increasing
                    frequency and could reach the surface
                    only with obvious difficulty. Of 30 rats
                    tested only 2 rose to the surface after remaining
                    submerged for a period of 15 seconds:
                    and these swam for less than 50 seconds before
                    submerging again, at which time they
                    drowned. Rats remaining below the surface
                    for more than 15 seconds almost invariably
                    drowned."
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Hmmm....also looks like the liver animals were getting more protein than the controls as they put liver powder in place of sucrose in the control diet....

"Procedure. The basal ration employed in
                      the present experiment consisted of sucrose,
                      1. Ershoff. B. H.. Physiol. Rev., 1948, v28, 107.
                      I. Ershoff. B. H., Nutrition Fronts in Public
                      Health. 1951. The National Vitamin Foundation,
                      views or indorsement of the Department of the Army. Inc.. New York.
                      Downloaded from ebm.sagepub.com at Stanford University Libraries on August 1, 2013
                      LIVERA ND SWIMMINGC APACITY 489
                      61%; casein,+ 24%; salt mixture,$ 5%;
                      cottonseed oil (Wesson), lo%, and the following
                      synthetic vitamins per kg of diet:
                      thiamine hydrochloride, 2.0 mg ; riboflavin,
                      20 mg; pyridoxine hydrochloride, 20 mg; calcium
                      pantothenate, 60 mg; nicotinic acid, 60
                      mg; ascorbic acid, 200 mg; 2-methyl-naphthoquinone,
                      10 mg; and choline chloride, 2 g. To
                      each kg of dliet were also added 8000 U.S.P.
                      units of vit. AO and 800 U.S.P. units of vit.
                      D.li The vitamins were added in place of an
                      equal amount of sucrose. Each rat also received
                      once weekly a supplement of 4.5 mg
                      alphatocopherol acetate. In addition to the
                      basal ration the following diets were also employed:
                      (1) basal ration plus the following
                      additional vitamin supplements per kg of
                      diet: thiamine hydrochloride, 20 mg; riboflavin,
                      20 mg; pyridoxine hydrochloride, 20
                      mg; calcium pantothenate, 60 mg; nicotinic
                      acid, 60 mg; biotlin, 5 mg; folic acid, 10 mg;
                      p-aminobenzoic acid, 400 mg; inositol, 800
                      mg ; and vit. BIZ, 150 pg; and (2) basal ration
                      plus 10% whole liver powder.7 The vitamin
                      supplements and the whole liver powder were
                      added in place of an equal amount of sucrose."

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                        That would never happen now.
                        Sadly, it absolutely happens now, it's called a "forced swim test" - there's an article about its use in developing anti-depressants here - Behavioural despair test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Bear in mind most of the stuff won't be classified as safe, so this isn't rat welfare vs. human welfare, most of this is all part of the mindset that says eat crap food, live with stress, and then take a pill to make it all go away...

The sickest test along these lines, that most people don't even know about, and that's run for entirely spurious reasons, is the way botox is tested, each and every batch, by injecting it into mice and then when enough die, not anesthetised or anything, from paralysis that means they suffocate, it's deemed the right strength to be injected into someone's face to, y'know, wipe out a few wrinkles. Botox is occasionally used medically but the increase in uptake has meant more tests, due to its high popularity as a cosmetic intervention.

The worst thing is there are alternative methods now to test it, iirc $60m was spent to develop them, but it's simpler just to use mice.

And the ones that survive the terror of it the first time round get re-used, until they die.

"... the toxicity test is carried out on mice and is based on the standard LD50 test and classed even by the UK Government, which tends to play down suffering, as being of “substantial severity”.

The LD50 test aims to determine the dose that kills exactly half of the animals used - it is called the LD50 because the lethal dose will kill 50% of the animals. Manufacturers use the LD50 figure to grade the 'strength' of their products. It is an archaic test and one of the cruellest and most controversial animal experiments
                        ."
                        ECEAE | The Truth About Botox Animal Testing

Spurious crap like that, or the suffocation tests they did on mice so they could make medical claims for Pom (pomegranate juice) for example, are all about fashion, and to create some bullshit new wonder-supplement so Joe Schmoe can keep eating his McNuggets but then feel like he's doing great because he pops a capsule or drinks a "superfood" smoothie with some berry or whatever in it.

None of this is remotely primal in mindset, it belongs to the agricultural age of owning animals and treating them like objects, instead of living beings - something no hunter-gatherer could afford to do - and the modern "pills fix everything" mindset that says eat garbage then take a supplement or meds to fix you up.

Comment

Poor rats but anyways this article made me think I really need to suck it up and try liver!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                            Poor rats but anyways this article made me think I really need to suck it up and try liver!
                            It's delish... goes nice with onions, just plain lightly fried in better, and a tomato/basil sauce if you can find one wihout vegetable oil in!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady D View Post
                              Sadly, it absolutely happens now, it's called a "forced swim test" - there's an article about its use in developing anti-depressants here - Behavioural despair test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Bear in mind most of the stuff won't be classified as safe, so this isn't rat welfare vs. human welfare, most of this is all part of the mindset that says eat crap food, live with stress, and then take a pill to make it all go away...

The sickest test along these lines, that most people don't even know about, and that's run for entirely spurious reasons, is the way botox is tested, each and every batch, by injecting it into mice and then when enough die, not anesthetised or anything, from paralysis that means they suffocate, it's deemed the right strength to be injected into someone's face to, y'know, wipe out a few wrinkles. Botox is occasionally used medically but the increase in uptake has meant more tests, due to its high popularity as a cosmetic intervention.

The worst thing is there are alternative methods now to test it, iirc $60m was spent to develop them, but it's simpler just to use mice.

And the ones that survive the terror of it the first time round get re-used, until they die.

"... the toxicity test is carried out on mice and is based on the standard LD50 test and classed even by the UK Government, which tends to play down suffering, as being of “substantial severity”.

The LD50 test aims to determine the dose that kills exactly half of the animals used - it is called the LD50 because the lethal dose will kill 50% of the animals. Manufacturers use the LD50 figure to grade the 'strength' of their products. It is an archaic test and one of the cruellest and most controversial animal experiments
                              ."
                              ECEAE | The Truth About Botox Animal Testing

Spurious crap like that, or the suffocation tests they did on mice so they could make medical claims for Pom (pomegranate juice) for example, are all about fashion, and to create some bullshit new wonder-supplement so Joe Schmoe can keep eating his McNuggets but then feel like he's doing great because he pops a capsule or drinks a "superfood" smoothie with some berry or whatever in it.

None of this is remotely primal in mindset, it belongs to the agricultural age of owning animals and treating them like objects, instead of living beings - something no hunter-gatherer could afford to do - and the modern "pills fix everything" mindset that says eat garbage then take a supplement or meds to fix you up.
                              Forced swim test is still done, but animals are pulled from the water before drowning. As far as the botox testing goes, pretty awful if that is really done without any sedation. I'm shocked that it would be legal.

Comment

Working...
                              X