Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got any tips to help constipation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got any tips to help constipation?

I have been primal for about 5 months and am feeling the best I ever have. My husband however is having problems with constipation and I wondered if anyone has any tips on what I can give him. He eats lots of vegetables and I make coconut butter which he loves. He is missing his oatmeal for breakfast which kept him very regular in the past. Any help would be appreciated.
    EvelynMary

Decrease the veggie amount. He may ingest too much fibers. You can on the other hand add more starches, especially the resistant type found in potatoes. I experimented myself with unmodified raw potato starch (you know, the powder you can buy for cheap - not potato flour though, potato STARCH), something like 30g / day for a while (it must be unheated or you destroy it - you can add it in smoothies or plain water, tastes bland and not very appealing). It really works ...

Comment

Fermented foods, miso, kimchi, sauerkraut. Probiotics (Greek yogurt). Magnesium supplements.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Aloe vera juice before bedtime!

Oh, and he needs more carbs.
        Last edited by YogaBare; 07-31-2013, 04:42 AM.
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Enough fat in the diet?

Comment

I sprinkle ground flax seed onto veggies or salad or put it in a smoothie. It works great. Don't use the seeds whole or they will go right through you without doing anything. Either grind the seeds in your blender or buy them already ground. Sometimes they are called flax meal.

Comment

I suggest increasing fat intake (healthy fats, of course, such as coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil, etc). Also, magnesium citrate can really help get things going in the morning. Hope that helps.

Comment

another vote for magnesium -- we are almost all deficient. and more activity.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

an apple a day does it for me!

Comment

Lower fat, higher carbs. Potatoes and rice are your friend.
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

High fat, coconut oil, and magnesium for the win. That would be my recommended starting point anyhow.

Comment

Magnesium Citrate during the day, Magnesium Glycinate at night has worked well for me.......higher healthy fats.....check out Ron Swanson's posts on here, he has constipation protocols for lots of different scenarios.....http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88054.html
                        The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                        SW - 192
                        CW - 180
                        GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

So the advice given so far seems to boil down into more carbs, more fat or more magnesium.

Add me to the magnesium camp.
                          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Another vote for magnesium also high dose of vitamin c.
                            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                              Fermented foods, miso, kimchi, sauerkraut. Probiotics (Greek yogurt). Magnesium supplements.
                              This is good. I feel like an expert in constipation. Had it for 8 years. Did everything the docs said and nothing helped.

Here is what worked for me; it took about 4 months but the result is perfection on the poop scale.

Eat 60-65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. The carbs should include a lot of leafy greens to provide soluble fiber and lots of the cabbage family, both cooked in CO or boiled. No starches such as potatoes.

Magnesium daily, Probiotic capsules before every meal, plus those mentioned by Damiana.

Never let constipation build up. If you're constipated (no poop) one day, take Milk of Magnesia that night. Every time. It's safe and harmless and works wonderfully well. You will not become reliant on it.
                              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Working...
                              X