Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got any tips to help constipation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soluable fibre and resistant starch. Taking supplements like magnesium to prevent constipation isn't a smart idea.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 08-01-2013, 01:36 AM.

Comment

This is good. I feel like an expert in constipation. Had it for 8 years. Did everything the docs said and nothing helped.

Here is what worked for me; it took about 4 months but the result is perfection on the poop scale.

Eat 60-65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. The carbs should include a lot of leafy greens to provide soluble fiber and lots of the cabbage family, both cooked in CO or boiled. No starches such as potatoes.

Magnesium daily, Probiotic capsules before every meal, plus those mentioned by Damiana.

Never let constipation build up. If you're constipated (no poop) one day, take Milk of Magnesia that night. Every time. It's safe and harmless and works wonderfully well. You will not become reliant on it.
      Almost exactly my story. I drink or eat kombucha with almost every meal, or sauerkraut, and always take my magnesium - and a big dose if it's been more than two days since I went.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
        another vote for magnesium -- we are almost all deficient. and more activity.
        Originally posted by Damiana View Post
        Fermented foods, miso, kimchi, sauerkraut. Probiotics (Greek yogurt). Magnesium supplements.
        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        High fat, coconut oil, and magnesium for the win. That would be my recommended starting point anyhow.
        good advice
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
          Soluable fibre and resistant starch. Taking supplements like magnesium to prevent constipation isn't a smart idea.
          some of us eat low-carb, so starch isn't always an option. there is no danger in a low dose of magnesium.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

what form of magnesium do you all use? I am using mag citrate caps and mag glycinate tabs, bought at local drug store.....
            The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
            SW - 192
            CW - 180
            GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
              what form of magnesium do you all use? I am using mag citrate caps and mag glycinate tabs, bought at local drug store.....
              Those are both good forms. I spread my dose out throughout the day, 200 mg at each meal (I eat twice a day) and then 400 mg at bedtime. If I add mag glycinate (only taking citrate now) to my supplements, I'll probably try replacing the evening dose with that.
              Depression Lies

Comment

Few tbsp of coconut oil will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                  I use a supplement called ZMA , it has zinc & magnesium . It's great, makes you sleep some much better and deeper also.

London UK.

Any london ppl give me a MSG

Comment

3-4 gm. of vitamin C and drink decaffeinated beverages.

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      some of us eat low-carb, so starch isn't always an option. there is no danger in a low dose of magnesium.
                      There isn't a great deal of research on long term supplementation. If your diet requires supplements to prevent conspitation it's time to rethink the diet or make some adjustments.

Comment

Steak and eggs worked wonders. I was very regular. Just steak and eggs and a little kombucha.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Probiotic Pearls, 1 per day will work wonders.

Amazon.com: Enzymatic Therapy - Pearls IC - 90 caps: Health & Personal Care

Comment

Stick something like coconut oil up your bum if you know you'll soon be pushing out a big, hard dump - saves the tissues getting battered and also means somewhat less straining.

Is my only tip on constipation... thankfully not had it for years now!

Comment

Bulletproof Coffee

Comment

How is his hydration level? Aside from all of the other good advice, keeping everything well hydrated is important to keep things soft and moving along!
                                Height: 5' 10"
                                Starting Weight: 292
                                Starting Primal Weight: 275
                                Current weight: 265
                                Goal weight: 195
                                Body Fat 35.2

Comment

Working...
                                X