Kerrygold Butter No Longer 100% Grass Fed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerrygold Butter No Longer 100% Grass Fed

Saw this blog, thought some here might care. I will probably continue to use it, since it is still better than most alternatives. Still, it's a bummer.

Apparently Organic Valley ALSO supplements their grass fed cows with grain feed, including Non GMO Soy, Corn, and other.

Why I Stopped Buying Kerrygold Butter « hopecentric

Do with this knowledge what you desire, if anything. ^^
    yay!

I'm pretty sure it was never exactly 100% grass-fed (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

I was thinking the same thing JJ...
      Ditto for Organic Valley... like, how were they going to be grass fed year round in New York, etc.? I was never under the mistaken impression that anything other than their summer pasture fed butter was pasture fed.
      “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
      Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

no, it never was. they don't have the weather over winter for them to be pasture fed and never have. only new zealand does really
        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

That is unfortunate we go through roughly 1 pound a month of Organic Valley Pastured butter. There are farms all around me that have the OV logo under their own... Maybe I could stop by and talk to them and get the real story behind the soy and grain? Like what is the allowable % of grain in their diets. I can say this though that the pastures the OV cows are on are nice and green and not over populated

Comment

Often grass fed milking cows are offered a some grain or hay to get them to the milking shed.

It also seems to distract them and keep them calm whilst milking.

I assumed this was the case with case with most grass fed dairy.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
              no, it never was. they don't have the weather over winter for them to be pasture fed and never have. only new zealand does really
              Good point - I wondered how they would go over their winter.

I buy NZ grass fed butter and cheese - its just across the pond for me.

Comment

Hay is dried grass. This is what grass fed cows eat over the winter. Also, my brother has to feed each (beef) cow a literal handful of grain (each day I think) in order to keep them from breaking out and traveling to greener pastures. That and a couple of occasional alfalfa cubes seem to keep them content.

Comment

Originally posted by sqidmark View Post
                  Hay is dried grass. This is what grass fed cows eat over the winter. Also, my brother has to feed each (beef) cow a literal handful of grain (each day I think) in order to keep them from breaking out and traveling to greener pastures. That and a couple of occasional alfalfa cubes seem to keep them content.
                  That is adorable. And that is the sort of thing that makes me not get my knickers very knotted over grass fed vs. free fed. We have local free fed cows and they do what makes them happy. They aren't in a feed lot somewhere. (Gosh, I drove past one in California on Hwy 5 a couple of weeks ago? It was like Guantanamo for cows; the place looked like hell.)

Comment

Doesn't Organic Valley now offer a butter that is 100% pasture fed? Or grass fed? I can't remember exactly how it's labeled. It is more expensive than their regular organic butter that is pasture raised (again, I can't remember the exact label!).

Comment

As I live in the desert and cows around here are more likely to eat scorpions than grass, I will stick with Kerry Gold. 90% sounds decent enough to me. Even the author of the article admits that her 'extremely corn and soy sensitive daughter has been eating Kerrygold without visible issue.' As I am neither, I'll happily not let the perfect get in the way of the good.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysara View Post
                        Doesn't Organic Valley now offer a butter that is 100% pasture fed? Or grass fed? I can't remember exactly how it's labeled. It is more expensive than their regular organic butter that is pasture raised (again, I can't remember the exact label!).
                        Pasture fed. It is only available for a few months each summer. I, um, cough, about live on it. I might go into depression when it runs out. I've considered stockpiling...

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                          I'm pretty sure it was never exactly 100% grass-fed (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
                          I started using KG butter a few months ago. I read everything there was to be had on the KG and KG-USA websites. They were proud of the fact that the cows were in pasture for ten months of the year and during the other two, ate hay and silage cut from their fields.

So, yes, it was 100% grass fed.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                            I started using KG butter a few months ago. I read everything there was to be had on the KG and KG-USA websites. They were proud of the fact that the cows were in pasture for ten months of the year and during the other two, ate hay and silage cut from their fields.

So, yes, it was 100% grass fed.
                            I'll remain skeptical.
                            My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Hay is dried grass
                              Yes. Not natural/fresh green grass though.

If a cow only ate hay all year round in a confined lot then saying it grass fed is technically correct too. For me grass fed is pastured on green grass - some hay supplementation may be required at times.

This is what grass fed cows eat over the winter.
                              Yes hay is often used over the winter but some places in less colder climates can have grass.

Comment

Working...
                              X