What have been your best health tweaks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    When you say that eating meat got rid of your cheese cravings, was it red meat or just more of any kind of protein like chicken or fish? I probably could eat a little less cheese also. Thanks.
    Funny, my cheese consumption has gone throught he floor as well. I think that it's just that chees is usually eaten on a bread substrate, so they types of dishes where cheese is good have a dramatically lower rotation in our household.

How do you eat cheese? Our kids have 'cheese and apple sandwiches' where they slice up and apple and use the apple wafers as the 'bread'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by ulnauy View Post
      - Started sprinting occasionally instead of jogging all the time.
      - Started doing pullups.
      - Stopped watching TV.
      - Threw out/gave away about 80% of my material possessions.

- Started dating older women.
      - Started eating lots of eggs.
      - Cut out sugar and caffeine.
      - Stopped caring what other people thought.
      - Stopped judging other people.
      All of those are awesome, but I'd really like two..... Family life does make it a bit difficult though as my wife and kids wouldn't agree with it so it becomes compromise. So far the compromise is to cut back from DirectTV with every channel to just basic cable, and we are cleaning up the clutter little bits at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        All of those are awesome, but I'd really like two..... Family life does make it a bit difficult though as my wife and kids wouldn't agree with it so it becomes compromise. So far the compromise is to cut back from DirectTV with every channel to just basic cable, and we are cleaning up the clutter little bits at a time.
        no TV for us, though my kid gets more time on the ipad than we'd like. With a 4 yr old (only one) I seem to have lost the battle on clutter. I swear I don't add to the clutte, as long as you don't count tools in the shop or food processing items (meat slicer, sausage grinder, slow cooker, DIY sous vide contraption, smoker, etc., etc.)

Comment

I would say the single biggest factor in improving my own health was starting a ruthlessly honest food and exercise log.

In second place would be a commitment to real, consistent exercise. At least twice a week for each of sprinting, cycling, swimming laps, bodyweight exercises and free weights.

Stripping sugars and wheat out of my daily diet would be third. I don't know (or care, really) if that helps because it is a very practical way of eliminating most snacks, or for "biomechanical" reasons, either way, it helps.
          Last edited by DeeDub; 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Hi

For me it has been:

No grain - that cleared up all my digestion pains, skin and thin hair
            No sugar, honey -
            No processed food - everything is now home cooked
            Long walks 6 k at a time

The ensuing weight loss means that I am now off all my drugs. About to get full bloods done should be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ulnauy View Post
              - Started sprinting occasionally instead of jogging all the time.
              - Started doing pullups.
              - Stopped watching TV.
              - Threw out/gave away about 80% of my material possessions.
              - Started dating older women.
              - Started eating lots of eggs.
              - Cut out sugar and caffeine.
              - Stopped caring what other people thought.
              - Stopped judging other people.
              bravo.
              Few but ripe.

Comment

Nice compendium, you've started here YB. Here's mine.

1. Arguing with chocotaco on the forums. The absolute best way to solidify scattered diet & health musings.

2. buying a weeks worth of food at once on the same day every week (Tuesday).
                Wed - fri, blissful overindulgence on primal treats. Sun - mon agonising fasts and specific food shortages.

3. Throwing out the plan, exercise plans that is. Knowing enough about recovery and adaptation to not need a plan. Opportunistic exercising is king.

I'll leave it at that. Might pipe in with some more if this thread goes nuts later on.

Sent from my iPhone
                Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 08-02-2013, 06:42 AM.
                A little primal gem - My Success Story
                Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Comment

Comment

June 16, I stopped the cheating that had been creeping upwards since Feb. Ice cream 2x week, and gluten free cookies onsey-twosey...stopped. Was a bit glum about it but resigned myself and went again through the withdrawal phase of about 10 days.

Comment

Working...
                      X