This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
    I reeeeally recommend an envelop of gelatine in coffee. Makes the coffee so creamy! And I really think it suppresses the appetite.
    How do you make this work? I bought a bag of gelatine powder, and it has been going mostly unused. When I try to put it in coffee, it mainly coagulates around the spoon and on the bottom of the cup. So I don't really ingest most of it, and it makes it hard to clean the cup and spoon afterwards... Is it a specially prepared gelatine you need?
    Last edited by Ghshl; 08-12-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• This is depressing, maybe it has to do with the type of food, or the length of time is not enough?

Maybe 1) you are overtraining and that's stressful or 2) gaining muscle thus weighing more?
      No to all 4. I have been at it for years, so, yeah, I kindda went through all those 'OMG!' things you have listed.
      Last edited by Leida; 08-13-2013, 06:14 AM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
        How do you make this work? I bought a bag of gelatine powder, and it has been going mostly unused. When I try to put it in coffee, it mainly coagulates around the spoon and on the bottom of the cup. So I don't really ingest most of it, and it makes it hard to clean the cup and spoon afterwards... Is it a specially prepared gelatine you need?
        I am opposed to any drinks that require a blender (ie, bulletproof, egg in coffee, smoothies, etc). Too much work. I don't know if gelatine is like that, but it sounds like it would require work as well.

Leida, it sucks that you are having such a hard time. I don't mind all the different suggestions - I am probably eating more carbs than I would otherwise have done and it doesn't seem to be hurting me - but I don't think Choco is right that the things that work for him (or some of the other young guys) will work for the women. I remember my brother eating mountains of food when he was younger and not gaining weight. Eventually, that stops working.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
          Did it come with instructions? You add the gelatin to room temperature or cool water, let it set for a minute, then add your hot beverage (pour the coffee in after). At least, that's how I've been doing it. Or, you can heat the whole thing over the stove and stir and the gelatin should incorporate.
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            But Choco's not eating corn chips and kegs of beer; he's eating whole, nutritious foods. I don't think that's increases the risk of metabolic ruin at any age. And to wish metabolic demise to anyone is really juvenile and pretty cruel. I hope everyone can have as much success as Choco at any age!
            The point of my post was that Choco is still a young man. He probably COULD maintain a near-six-pack on corn chips and beer. That is, he thinks he look good because of his Primal but carb-heavy diet, but it's got nothing to do with him.

Could we please STOP using the term "I just eat whole and unprocessed"? Primal is NOT the only diet which is "whole" and "unprocessed." Your average healthy eater vegan/vegetarian eats "whole" wheat, "whole" rye, "whole" oats, "whole" corn kernals, and "whole" white potatoes, all of which are as whole and as "unprocessed" as meat and cheese. People can get diabetes on whole and "un"processed.

Am I wishing metabolic ruin on Choco? I dunno. He comes to a Primal forum and tries to pass off his high-carb (more than 200?g/day) diet off on the rest of us as HIS version of "Primal." In my book, that counts as wishing metabolic ruin on ME, and anyone else here who doesn't do well with that level of carb loading. Besides, if/when Choco's metablism slows down when he's older and if/when he gains weight, he won't be "ruined." All he has to do is switch to Primal -- actual by-the-book Primal, mind you, not this constant carb feed version -- and he'll be fine. Maybe even in 21 days.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

• Leida, it sucks that you are having such a hard time. I don't mind all the different suggestions - I am probably eating more carbs than I would otherwise have done and it doesn't seem to be hurting me - but I don't think Choco is right that the things that work for him (or some of the other young guys) will work for the women. I remember my brother eating mountains of food when he was younger and not gaining weight. Eventually, that stops working.
              I don't argue the more carbs if you have heavy workout load idea - it is perfectly fine, but I strongly mind the recommendation to go overweight deliberately and stay there for a while in order to lose weight afterwards. Particularly for women and people who had been overweight already.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxide View Post
                The point of my post was that Choco is still a young man. He probably COULD maintain a near-six-pack on corn chips and beer. That is, he thinks he look good because of his Primal but carb-heavy diet, but it's got nothing to do with him.

Could we please STOP using the term "I just eat whole and unprocessed"? Primal is NOT the only diet which is "whole" and "unprocessed." Your average healthy eater vegan/vegetarian eats "whole" wheat, "whole" rye, "whole" oats, "whole" corn kernals, and "whole" white potatoes, all of which are as whole and as "unprocessed" as meat and cheese. People can get diabetes on whole and "un"processed.

Am I wishing metabolic ruin on Choco? I dunno. He comes to a Primal forum and tries to pass off his high-carb (more than 200?g/day) diet off on the rest of us as HIS version of "Primal." In my book, that counts as wishing metabolic ruin on ME, and anyone else here who doesn't do well with that level of carb loading. Besides, if/when Choco's metablism slows down when he's older and if/when he gains weight, he won't be "ruined." All he has to do is switch to Primal -- actual by-the-book Primal, mind you, not this constant carb feed version -- and he'll be fine. Maybe even in 21 days.
                You're so delusional it's not even funny.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  I don't argue the more carbs if you have heavy workout load idea - it is perfectly fine, but I strongly mind the recommendation to go overweight deliberately and stay there for a while in order to lose weight afterwards. Particularly for women and people who had been overweight already.
                  Eating a ton more than you need is a bad idea, I'm not sure who recommended that, but it doesn't seem like something Choco would say, considering he's adamant about calories manifesto. That seems like a Matt Stone thing.

If what you're after is a lean, trim body, Matt Stone's advice is absolutely not for you. You will never be lean doing a protocol like that.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

• That's exactly what Choco recommends in his multiple posts on pgs 22-23, gaining 20-30 lbs and staying there for a time etc.

Comment

• Oh, didn't see that. Yeah, I disagree there. Women have a lot more difficult time losing weight, because much of it is hormonal, which is why Ray Peat attracts women to his diet so much.
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        That's exactly what Choco recommends in his multiple posts on pgs 22-23, gaining 20-30 lbs and staying there for a time etc.
                        I think the "cut-and-bulk" strategy is a great one for people who...
                        • find it as easy or easier to lose than gain
                        • are trying to gain muscle.

Suggesting it to a woman who already is heavier than she wants and unable to lose any weight was inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                          You're so delusional it's not even funny.
                          +1

Going back to the topic of ray peat:

I've been eating a lot of dairy, sugary fruit, raw honey and other starchy carbs of late. Glad to report that I'm finally back to enjoying my meals and actually looking forward to them. My hands/feet are no longer cold. Libidous as a mafaka. Vastly improved strength and muscularity in just a week.

Most importantly, I have energy to get on my bicycle and go out for a ride everyday! That is something I've missed for the past eight months that I spent on low carb paleo waiting for 'boundless energy' to arrive. Yes, Mark says advocates low carb for people who don't expend much energy, but it seems, paradoxically, to keep me from being active.

Thanks, Peatards! I'm one of you folk now. Though, I have been less strict with gluten and food in general over the past week because I'm recovering from starvation induced by my non existent appetite on low carb.

P.S. inb4 abuse about how I 'didn't do it right'.
                          Ones who try my curry are not ones to leave in a hurry

Comment

• Originally posted by pabs View Post
                            +1

Going back to the topic of ray peat:

I've been eating a lot of dairy, sugary fruit, raw honey and other starchy carbs of late. Glad to report that I'm finally back to enjoying my meals and actually looking forward to them. My hands/feet are no longer cold. Libidous as a mafaka. Vastly improved strength and muscularity in just a week.

Most importantly, I have energy to get on my bicycle and go out for a ride everyday! That is something I've missed for the past eight months that I spent on low carb paleo waiting for 'boundless energy' to arrive. Yes, Mark says advocates low carb for people who don't expend much energy, but it seems, paradoxically, to keep me from being active.

Thanks, Peatards! I'm one of you folk now. Though, I have been less strict with gluten and food in general over the past week because I'm recovering from starvation induced by my non existent appetite on low carb.

P.S. inb4 abuse about how I 'didn't do it right'.
                            One of us! One of us!

It's funny, because your story reminds me of mine. I started waiting for that boundless energy to come, but instead the only thing that came was intense lethargy, hair loss, loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, brain fog, paranoia, insomnia, return of my migraines, freezing in 70 degree weather, etc; I couldn't get on my bike either, in fact, I was way too dizzy to even sit on it.

It was definitely all those unsaturated fats being released in rapid succession.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              I think the "cut-and-bulk" strategy is a great one for people who...
                              • find it as easy or easier to lose than gain
                              • are trying to gain muscle.

Suggesting it to a woman who already is heavier than she wants and unable to lose any weight was inappropriate.
                              Leida sounds like she is suffering from downregulated metabolism from chronic caloric restriction. If this is the case, she is digging a hole for herself by further restricting calories. She said something along the lines of having to skip eating for a day if she doesn't do exercise, just to maintain the same weight. Does that sound normal? How long can she keep that up?

Leida, I was in a similar position as the one you find yourself in. The only way out is to eat your way out. You will put on weight but you will feel much better. You cannot force or will your body into your desired composition. You can only work with it. It might or might not want to look the way you want it to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                                If what you're after is a lean, trim body, Matt Stone's advice is absolutely not for you. You will never be lean doing a protocol like that.
                                I don't see matt stone's advice as a diet plan per se, I see it as being recovery from chronic starvation. My take away from reading his book was that when you've been starved for long periods, losing fat should be the last thing on your mind. Working, instead, on getting metabolism back up to speed should be given more priority. It's possible that the fastest way to do this is by eating highly palatable junk food. It's once you've sufficiently recovered your metabolism that you can go back to eating whole food.

GoKaleo advocates the same priority for recovery from starvation, i.e. focus more on getting sufficient or a surplus of nutrients rather than their quality.

P.S. Derp, I get so excited when it nears bedtime because I CAN NOW SLEEP
                                Last edited by pabs; 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X