This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
    I assumed it's better not to eat every few hours so the body isn't digesting food all day long. For me if I don't think too much into it, some days I do only eat a few times, other days graze all day.

Where I am, there's no access to grass-fed dairy. At best is dairy products that say on the label that the product is made from cows that didn't receive antibiotics or growth hormones.

Good to hear that you lost fat! But it seems that you are young, male, and very active. I'm not very active, just nursing a 2 year old. Just want to be healthier and less stressed, lol.
    Eh, there will always be food in your digestive tract unless your fasting for more then 48 hours. Nighttime is digestion downtime so if you back off the eating a few hours before bed and maybe a bit right after waking up, thats plenty.

Can you get a brand called Organic Valley? Its everywhere around here and it claims to be grassfed at least part of the time.

Yes thats true im relatively young (30), i also didnt have a ton of fat to lose and i exercise quite a bit. This diet makes that possible though where as a LC diet damn near killed me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Eh, there will always be food in your digestive tract unless your fasting for more then 48 hours. Nighttime is digestion downtime so if you back off the eating a few hours before bed and maybe a bit right after waking up, thats plenty.

Can you get a brand called Organic Valley? Its everywhere around here and it claims to be grassfed at least part of the time.

Yes thats true im relatively young (30), i also didnt have a ton of fat to lose and i exercise quite a bit. This diet makes that possible though where as a LC diet damn near killed me.
      Organic Valley sounds familiar, will look for it.

I'm not too old (31), at my ideal weight but around 20% bodyfat. I've been eating 2200-2500 cals/day while nursing my kid. I do notice being sluggish when too LC, whereas if I have fruits and starch, I would have energy to least play and dance with my kid whenever she wants, which is often.

I see a lot of young women in their 20s here eating around 1500-1800 cals only. Seems very little.

Comment

• sorry, double post.

Comment

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
          I like hearing about Peat, and the experiences of those who tried his diet. I know some healthy individuals on high carb diets (not processed food) who maintain their weight easily. These people never been on fad diets so must have healthy metabolism.
          FWIW, I became even leaner when I came off a LCHF diet and started eating ALOT more carbohydrate. It was significant. Carbs=fat is about as dumb as the 'Avoid fat in the 90's' stance.

Originally posted by girlhk
          I am not surprised about the weight gain, but maybe some people do need to gain weight if already thin.

I am wondering how those who follow Peat avoid eating every few hours? If I eat a lot of fruit and feel full at that moment, I still get hungry much faster than if I had a high fat meal.

Does it matter whether the dairy is grass-fed or not?

Can bone broth be used instead of gelatin?
          One of the things I loved about HF eating was that I could fast for so long. I wouldn't eat until 1/2pm some days. 2 meals per day, was never hungry....and yet I was never satiated. Is fasting even that healthy? According to Ayurveda yes, but in reality with our stressful lives I'm not sure.

I am still curious about the fact I could eat once or twice and feel fine, and part of me wishes I could go back to that. It was really simple. However, I was also too skinny and my strength was decreasing by the month. People kept on telling me I looked gaunt and, imo. In order to get enough calories(about 2500+) I had to eat far too much meat/eggs and too much isolated fats - which are not exactly teeming with nutrients. I also now know, in hindsight, that eating too much vegetable is a detriment to my body.

So it's a tradeoff. Though I will state that with Peating I can go hours without eating, and because it's convenient I don't have to think about food as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
            Carbs=fat is about as dumb as the 'Avoid fat in the 90's' stance.
            I lost nearly 100lbs as a vegan eating predominately carbs. I think blanket statements are foolish because physiologies do vary and what works for one may not work for another. Results are also contextual. It's really interesting how my patterns have evolved [at least to me ;-)] over the past 5-ish years. I thought that I loved the fatty meats of Paleo but it turns out that what I actually love are gelatinous meats. I don't follow ANYone's dietary advice to the letter. I read it all and take time to consider the reasoning behind the advice. Be it Sally Fallon, Mark Sisson, Ray Peat or whomever, they each have sound reasoning, at least in part of their, oftentimes overlapping, messages. I think Ray Peat is a really interesting fellow and I respect his voice in the community more than most others in the "Paleosphere".

Comment

• YB, I am glad to hear that the dairy+fruit helps fertility. I am off the BCP, and my natural period is not in a hurry to show up. I've gained again, but I think I was overdoing meat and still had nuts last week.

But I can't believe what I put in this week with still managing to recover: 4 lifting sessions, 1 boxing, 1 elliptical hiit, 1 outdoor run+ swim (30 +15 min) and a hap-ki-do class. This week I am starting 2 aikido classes in addition to hap-ki-do, so energy is vital Obviously not sure how the heck I ended up gaining, but it's all about eating too much for me. Trying not to be depressed.

Down with nuts this week & try to do more fermented dairy - straight milk is no good. Got kefir grains for milk kefir and just about have enough kefir to start making quark now (or drink kefir). Water kefit is just awesome! Gelatin doesn't seem to do anything for me, still mainly depend on glucomannan for hunger suppression.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Dairy and fruit is the first I've heard for fertility. Definitely going to try harder now (trying to get period back with a nursling).

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                  I think people grossly misunderstand Peat's writing and make gigantic assumptions about things they have never even personally read. He doesn't really encourage anything more than a high-carb Primal diet, in essence.
                  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Exactly.

I've read most of the posts on here surrounding Peat, and people seem to fight over nonsense.
                  Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post

But I can't believe what I put in this week with still managing to recover: 4 lifting sessions, 1 boxing, 1 elliptical hiit, 1 outdoor run+ swim (30 +15 min) and a hap-ki-do class. This week I am starting 2 aikido classes in addition to hap-ki-do, so energy is vital Obviously not sure how the heck I ended up gaining, but it's all about eating too much for me. Trying not to be depressed.
                    WOW! This seems massively like over-training to me. (FYI, I'm young 30s male, trained /played sport all my adult life, so this advice is not coming from a sedentary dude!).

Sorry, I haven't seen your other posts, I don't know your context.

What do you do for work? (long hours?)

And do you have family?

What's your sleep pattern and quality like?

When you say "gained", between what time frames, and did you measure in the same state (ie same time of day, same time after eating and exercise), and is this just scale weight or are you talking about body composition?

Scale weight is USELESS. You have to know it in relation to your body measurements and body fat %.

Investing in regular body composition analysis is the only way to understand what's really going on with your body fat / muscle etc.

If you have a friend/family member/training partner, you can buy skin-fold calipers and learn how to measure the important sites yourself.

EDIT --> I had a glance at your old journal, and you seem to say above you have a young child ?? I look forward to reading the context of your training, but I'm already pretty certain you are way way waaaaaaaaaay over-training! (also, what purpose are you training for? An event or just for body re-comp?)
                    Last edited by simonb; 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM.
                    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

• Heya, my kiddo is almost 7, I cook for everyone, I work normal hours in the office but commute, and I am after everyone's wet dream - most muscle with least fat and I really want to see deltoid pop when the arm is not flexed (while my hips and waistline are under control). I do Lyle McDonald's strict UB-LB split lifting protocol atm after years of strength training & trying a bunch of nutritional things, like Aanabolic Diet, CKD, Ultimate Diet 2.0, VLC.... Lyle advises cardio for women to avoid fat gain, so I do whatever forms of cardio that makes me happy as well.

I started hap-ki-do in June, not sure if I will continue in the fall. Seeing how pathetic I am at it, it is not an intense workout. To be honest, I doubt I can reach and maintain puking intensities at anything because of my age and general lack of athletic talent.

Gained = fat gain as per WW scale. It maybe inaccurate, but it's the same baseline I used for many years & for me fat gain on that scale = bigger inches in wrong places. Mirror imo beats all those body comp things, because if you don't like what you see who cares what the BF% is exactly. I carry maybe 25-30% now (scale says ~22-23%), after I could not survive at around 20-25% (scale said 15-20%).

Erm, yeah, that's all over the place, but in a nutshell, I don't think I am over-training (due to lower intensity and being at my athletic ceiling for a while).
                      Last edited by Leida; 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        YB, I am glad to hear that the dairy+fruit helps fertility. I am off the BCP, and my natural period is not in a hurry to show up. I've gained again, but I think I was overdoing meat and still had nuts last week.

Down with nuts this week & try to do more fermented dairy - straight milk is no good. Got kefir grains for milk kefir and just about have enough kefir to start making quark now (or drink kefir). Water kefit is just awesome! Gelatin doesn't seem to do anything for me, still mainly depend on glucomannan for hunger suppression.
                        Hey Leida, that's great on the recovery! I'm feeling the same. Apart from three shit days when I had my TOM, my energy has been boundless. This is really amazing for me.

I've come to the conclusion with weight loss is that the key is to find a woe that you find satiating. I wouldn't have guessed for me it would be high fruit, high dairy, but I'm struggling to eat 2K cals atm, yet still have loads of energy. <==== reading that reminds me of many posts I read on people who start eating HFLC.

I also have zero cravings, which is pretty amazing.

I do feel like I need to pay more attention to what I'm eating though, as I'm getting super lazy with it, and I definitely need some red meat.

Oh, btw - I think mirror is a terrible way of judging yourself. Even when I was stick thin I would look in the mirror and see fat. Body dysmorphia and all that. Also, I doubt your scale is that inaccurate <3
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Yeah, I find that amazingly I don't even want food all that much any longer.

I still crave nuts. I seem to be re-routing the cravings better, in other words if I decide to eat banana with cocoa nibs I don't end up eating nuts afterwards anyway. Funny, before I tried to cut out crabs I never ate nuts or peanuts. It's so funny how we develop tastes and habits depending on the macro restrictions. One thing I am happy about is that I do not have to ever eat avocado again!

Dunno about BF, that's what ppls said, that scale is about 4-5% too low for me based on pics. I just want to get to the day when I am not afraid to look in the mirror, no matter how much body fat I carry, so ultimately I shouldn't care at all about the scale.

Comment

• I actually had the EXACT same thing with nuts when I was HFLC! Craved them and was basically totally addicted to them! When I cut them out of my diet I had no energy at all - that was when I realised that I was craving them for the carbs, not the minerals or the fat...

And yeah, a lot of people on this woe find that when they eat, they are done.

You know, it's funny: right now I still weigh more than I am used to, but I actually feel good about my body! I think it's cos' I was stuck at that higher weight for so long, now I appreciate being a size I was formally discontent with. Funny how your perspective changes. I also think in my case getting truly fit for the first time in my life is helping, as now I can appreciate that my body is a vehicle to give me great physical experiences.

It's weird, I worked for so many years on self-love, and it seems it's only really come together with finding the right diet.
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                              Oh, btw - I think mirror is a terrible way of judging yourself. Even when I was stick thin I would look in the mirror and see fat. Body dysmorphia and all that. Also, I doubt your scale is that inaccurate <3
                              Take photos in same ligthening and at the same time of the day and compare them monthly! Why are there still no computerprogram to trace and recognize leanness and/or muscularity based on photos? - would have been a very useful tool...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Why are there still no computerprogram to trace and recognize leanness and/or muscularity based on photos? - would have been a very useful tool...
                                $$$ Go for it!
                                I did take pictures, but they all looked so much the same despite the amount of work I was putting in, it was disheartening.

You know, it's funny: right now I still weigh more than I am used to, but I actually feel good about my body! I think it's cos' I was stuck at that higher weight for so long, now I appreciate being a size I was formally discontent with. Funny how your perspective changes. I also think in my case getting truly fit for the first time in my life is helping, as now I can appreciate that my body is a vehicle to give me great physical experiences.
                                I too find that embracing the heavier body actually made it more appealing. I was devastated after my first bulk up when I went from 122 to 132 lbs. Now I am heavier than that, and not hysterical. Yet. I think going over 130 lbs and apparently permanently broke my spirit. There is like no hope to get back into 120s, let alone below it... I kindda go between feeling good and bad about how I look a few times during the day. Like when I walk in the street, I would catch my reflection and think it's great. Then I look in the bathroom mirror in the office, and get terrified by how stolid I have become. Literally within half-hour time span. It's crazy.

But, uhm, nothing to do with Peat!

Comment

Working...
                                X