This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graycat View Post
    Re. feminism: FWIW, in IMO it stems from the way children are brought up these days. I came (born and raised an 'enlightened' society in an European country) to the US as a teen and was really shocked to see how differently children from the two genders are treated in a typical American family. Usually, the boys are given many household chores, including work in the kitchen, while girls are treated as more 'special'. There is certainly discrimination from what I have observed. My field of work has to do with home improvement and I visit homes of families with children of all ages fairly often.
    What I have observed is diametrically opposite of what you have.

I see boys being treated in a hands-off manner, given space to do whatever they wish. Parents have a "boys will be boys attitude", convinced that when their young sons reach a certain age they will start getting responsible after having had enough fun.

Girls, on the other hand, are given constant guidance and encouragement to do their homework, study, and do well in school.

The net effect is that at the point where girls are starting to excel and make college plans, the parents of fun-loving sons are starting to realize that their boys are far behind and may not get into any college at all unless they start working very hard.

Comment

• Well, that's complete BS. Clearly you are living in your head which is largely full of feminist propaganda. Where is your evidence? Demographics clearly don't support it. Nor does any of the rampant degeneracy on the part of both sexes that has swept over western society like a plague.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        Haha. Well, maybe they are mostly opinionated jabs? But seriously, I think people grossly misunderstand Peat's writing and make gigantic assumptions about things they have never even personally read. He doesn't really encourage anything more than a high-carb Primal diet, in essence.
        That is probably true. And perhaps people become alienated before they actually read his stuff because the loudest proponents of him here are usually little boys who smoke and do drugs and then suggest everyone eat a bag of oranges and a gallon of milk to feel better.

I think a lot of pro-Peat people here are so insulting that even the most open-minded of people don't want to follow their links or listen to what they have to say. Not all, but a lot.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          That is probably true. And perhaps people become alienated before they actually read his stuff because the loudest proponents of him here are usually little boys who smoke and do drugs and then suggest everyone eat a bag of oranges and a gallon of milk to feel better.

I think a lot of pro-Peat people here are so insulting that even the most open-minded of people don't want to follow their links or listen to what they have to say. Not all, but a lot.
          This is the internet. And while everything is not as it seems, sometimes it is.

Trolls who seem to be working to give a bad name to something probably are.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Comment

• Hi all,

I read in a post many many pages back that Peat advocates diet to help boost progesterone but I didn't see any further mention of it...(though I have skipped over most posts because I couldn't give a toss about the pointless arguing..)

Would a Peatatarian be kind enough to let me know what he recommends diet wise to boost progesterone, or point me at any articles that might have that information please?

Cheers muchly
            I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
              Hi all,

I read in a post many many pages back that Peat advocates diet to help boost progesterone but I didn't see any further mention of it...(though I have skipped over most posts because I couldn't give a toss about the pointless arguing..)

Would a Peatatarian be kind enough to let me know what he recommends diet wise to boost progesterone, or point me at any articles that might have that information please?

Cheers muchly
              Thats something I would like to know too. I must admit I've really got a bit lost in this thread with all the politics, I'm not sure how the thread went that way LOL.

Comment

Hi all,

Cheers muchly
                You must make sure Protein is sufficient.

Ray Peat says;

With a diet high in protein (e.g., at least 70-100 grams per day, including eggs) and vitamin A (not carotene), I have found that the dose of progesterone can be reduced each month. Using thyroid will usually reduce the amount of progesterone needed. Occasionally, a woman won't feel any effect even from 100 mg. of progesterone; I think this indicates that they need to use thyroid and diet, to normalize their estrogen, prolactin, and cortisol.

A Peatarians's response to a women asking how to raise very low progest levels

Sorry to hear you are still sick. Am afraid it cannot be summed up neatly, but this is an attempt:

- Started with diet only first.
                - Eat 5-6 times a day or more. Some carbs, protein, fats to every meal, even if small snack.
                - Using temperature and heartrate to monitor and adjust food ratios/frequencies etc.
                - Liver once per week, oyster once per week, seafood, home made OJ, home made gelatinous broth, tropical fruits, caffe latte 3x per day with meals - the works. Not afraid of sugar (mostly).
                - Took six weeks completely off exercise when I was at the low point.
                - Started with desiccated thyroid after not too long. Started with a quarter grain, built up to 1,5 - 2 (had low T3 before starting).
                - Started 40 mg pregnenolone after 7 months on Peat diet - did wonders for mood etc.
                - No other supplements. Believe in keeping it to a minimum. Tried Vitamin A drops for a few weeks, but did not notice any difference, so stopped.
                - Lifestyle and attitude stuff: go to bed by 22 most nights, go dancing once per month, stay late for dinner with friends from time to time. Try to be in the moment. Try to be more creative (drawing plus, plus). Try to allow myself to be playful, be open to other people, take more time off work, rethink job & objectives etc.
                A forum member wrote this

Most women who told me that progest-e didn't work for them or made their symptoms worse, thought of it as they would of a drug: Everything in their lives stays the same but they use this drug and things magically get better.
                Of course that will not work. It's not a drug. If you don't eat enough high quality food, especially protein, progesterone cannot work. If you eat PUFA and lots of starch, goitrogens, not enough salt and sugar, you don't get enough vitamin E and A and B vitamins, enough calcium and magnesium -- you will not only suppress your thyroid gland but also shift your hormone balance toward the stress hormones like estrogen, cortisol, prolactin, melatonin, histamines ...

Progesterone is one piece of a puzzle, not a dea ex machina.
                If you start to learn how your organism works and understand the role of progesterone within the organism it will become clearer that as much as possible about our lives and our environment has to be optimized in order to be healthy.
                Progesterone is only a step on the way and usually not the first step.
                I would always start with aspirin, salt, sugar and eliminating PUFA. And reading every article by Ray Peat.
                Restoring progesterone production may be accomplished by focusing on dietary factors that support respiration: consuming adequate protein, sugar (fruit), saturated fats, salt, b-vitamins, vitamin A (retinol, not beta carotene), vitamin D, vitamin k, calcium, copper, zinc, and magnesium.
                A Ray Peat article

Progesterone Summaries - Progesterone Deceptions - Progesterone Supplementation - Dosage of Progesterone

It can't really be summed up neatly, but someone else might give you a more concise answer.
                Last edited by Rocco Hill; 08-03-2013, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Rocco Hill you are legendary, thank you very much
                  I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Comment

• Just been on the Peat forums out of curiosity. Gee, I sure hope I don't have to resort to his philosophy given the problems people seem to encounter with weight gain while following his guidelines.
                    Ones who try my curry are not ones to leave in a hurry

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

+1000
                      Starting Weight: 197.5
                      Current Weight: 123
                      Far healthier!

Comment

Hi all,

Cheers muchly
                        Hey Leilani,

I have oestrogen dominance with low progesterone. I started a protocol three months ago.

First, if you take a progesterone supp, you've got to make sure you're taking enough. The first month I was on a drug called Duphaston, and it made no difference to my symptoms. Then I read Peat saying how important dosage is: if you don't take enough progesterone your body will actually just pump out more oestrogen. So, for the second month I took the Duphaston, plus Vitex twice a day. The difference in my mood, energy etc. was like night and day! When I finished my supply of Duphaston, I move onto Ray Peats progesterone oil and kept taking the Vitex. The effect was the exact same - I felt amazing. I didn't hear about Vitex from Peat, but then I read into it and discovered he supports it, and also believes it to lower TSH.

Re. diet: When I started the Vitex, my desire for what to eat completely changed. I'd been reading Ray Peat for ages, so I knew his food suggestions, and kind of instinctually I just began eating like that. Mostly fruit and dairy. It's working out well. Interestingly, I also go for acupuncture (for fertility, as my low prog has rendered me infertile age 31) and one day me and the Chinese doc got talking about diet. Guess what she told me I should be eating for fertility? Dairy, and fruit

Peat also recommends carrot salad to remove excess oestrogen from the body, but my digestion is too weak for it.

Raspberry tea is strongly recommended as well (not by Peat): I drink it with gelatine mixed in

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by pabs View Post
                        Just been on the Peat forums out of curiosity. Gee, I sure hope I don't have to resort to his philosophy given the problems people seem to encounter with weight gain while following his guidelines.
                        Funny that. I've lost weight...
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Thanks YogaBare.

Gee I love that synchronicity of your instincts about what to eat and your chinese doc confirming it

I've increased the amount of protein I'm eating and will also add some tropical fruits and raw milk. I love that we can make changes to the way we eat, and then listen to the yay or nay from our bodies.

I believe that the billions of cells that make up our bodies are intelligent, and will always lean towards wellbeing if we give them what they need then get out of their way I mean think about it, if we cut our finger we don't have to get involved in directing the platelets to go there, or the skin cells to form new skin.. it all happens without our conscious involvement. Our cells and bodies know what to do, we just have to feed them the nutrition they need and they'll do what they know how to do best ;D

Sorry, it's just everytime I think about how amazing our bodies are I get awe struck

Cheers for you help

Comment

• I like hearing about Peat, and the experiences of those who tried his diet. I know some healthy individuals on high carb diets (not processed food) who maintain their weight easily. These people never been on fad diets so must have healthy metabolism.

I am not surprised about the weight gain, but maybe some people do need to gain weight if already thin.

I am wondering how those who follow Peat avoid eating every few hours? If I eat a lot of fruit and feel full at that moment, I still get hungry much faster than if I had a high fat meal.

Does it matter whether the dairy is grass-fed or not?

Can bone broth be used instead of gelatin?

Comment

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                              I like hearing about Peat, and the experiences of those who tried his diet. I know some healthy individuals on high carb diets (not processed food) who maintain their weight easily. These people never been on fad diets so must have healthy metabolism.

I am not surprised about the weight gain, but maybe some people do need to gain weight if already thin.

I am wondering how those who follow Peat avoid eating every few hours? If I eat a lot of fruit and feel full at that moment, I still get hungry much faster than if I had a high fat meal.

Does it matter whether the dairy is grass-fed or not?

Can bone broth be used instead of gelatin?

Whats wrong with eating every few hours? Its popular right now to IF for half the day or more and only eat one or two big meals but for a lot of people, that doesnt work and is probably not a great idea in the first place. I eat when im hungry and some days its only 2-3 meals or just snacks and some days im eating all day long.

Raw grass fed is best, then grass fed, then organic. And yes, bone broth works, gelatin is just easy. Also a lot of people including myself have felt much better with higher doses of gelatin then you could get with bone broth so supplemental gelatin can be helpful.

Btw, i have also lost fat on a Peat inspired diet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                                Whats wrong with eating every few hours? Its popular right now to IF for half the day or more and only eat one or two big meals but for a lot of people, that doesnt work and is probably not a great idea in the first place. I eat when im hungry and some days its only 2-3 meals or just snacks and some days im eating all day long.

Raw grass fed is best, then grass fed, then organic. And yes, bone broth works, gelatin is just easy. Also a lot of people including myself have felt much better with higher doses of gelatin then you could get with bone broth so supplemental gelatin can be helpful.

Btw, i have also lost fat on a Peat inspired diet.
                                I assumed it's better not to eat every few hours so the body isn't digesting food all day long. For me if I don't think too much into it, some days I do only eat a few times, other days graze all day.

Where I am, there's no access to grass-fed dairy. At best is dairy products that say on the label that the product is made from cows that didn't receive antibiotics or growth hormones.

Good to hear that you lost fat! But it seems that you are young, male, and very active. I'm not very active, just nursing a 2 year old. Just want to be healthier and less stressed, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X