This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
    RE: Fat loss. Keep fat low, biggest mistake when trying a "Ray Peat diet" is going full fat and full sugar. Keep protein moderately high. Keep sugar high, starch low and calories in check. Pretty simple.

In regards to this Peat Vs Sisson, its pretty funny because they are actually really similar in their recommendations, replace veg with fruit, fatty meat with low fat milk and skip the IF. Everyone who hasnt read any of Peats work or even bothered to really look into the diet that others have put together based on Peats articles and interviews just think its a ice cream and coke free for all but Peat is pretty strict when it comes to junk food, excess calories and grains. Also for the record, i have read quite a bit from Peat and his disciples and never once saw a reference to the progest e that he produces. Actually didnt know it until Yoga said something in her journal.

P.S. Others interested in this way of eating should check out Phil at pranarupa | Life, Yoga, and Ray Peat and Andrew Kim at Andrew Kim Blog. Both are really interesting and share similar philosophies. Danny Roddy is usually kinda stale but his recent series has been pretty interesting as well.
    good info, as usual

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
      It's because women here in the west are engorged in the idea that they are princesses at birth, women are taught that they are valuable creatures who deserve more than they have. This corrosive mindset creates wicked and self entitled pigs who ride off of anyone they can to get by, and have no real sense of dignity or common sense instilled in them. When you create a few echo chambers for them, and give them some leeway in politics and social events, they then become delusional feminists .....
      Geez Derp. If it weren't for, This isn't meant to be offensive, btw, so sorry if it comes off crass. I really love women, I just hate these types of people., I'd be sending a gift of tranquilizers to your house. The entirety of that was so sweeping, it leaves me thinking you've had a few bad encounters and now ascribe those characteristics to all. I'd like to be as gentle about it as yogabare but cripes man, that was out there.

Its hateful that the word feminism has been hijacked by those who want to dismantle it and so attack & belittle it. If your penis was under orders of government on how to care for, whether to circumcise or not and if you didn't comply, you'd be at risk of assault, ridicule or even death, YEP, you'd start referring to the all holy penis as something to protect and glorify.

(I realize, historically that is not why the vagina is glorified but you get what I'm saying.)

If you've got a woman on your hands who says sex is = to rape, you've got a woman who hates men or sex. That doesn't mean she's a neo-fem. My personal feeling is that a feminist is at heart an equalist*, a humanist.
      Last edited by spk; 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Per week-8 days? How?
        Nope, add I cardio after lifting. Like 5 min rest, then summon the inner cardio queen, get mantra in the head, and go, go, go. Maybe some people suffer from chronic cardio, I gain fat if I don't do it.
        Last edited by Leida; 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by spk View Post
          Geez Derp. If it weren't for, This isn't meant to be offensive, btw, so sorry if it comes off crass. I really love women, I just hate these types of people., I'd be sending a gift of tranquilizers to your house. The entirety of that was so sweeping, it leaves me thinking you've had a few bad encounters and now ascribe those characteristics to all. I'd like to be as gentle about it as yogabare but cripes man, that was out there.

Its hateful that the word feminism has been hijacked by those who want to dismantle it and so attack & belittle it. If your penis was under orders of government on how to care for, whether to circumcise or not and if you didn't comply, you'd be at risk of assault, ridicule or even death, YEP, you'd start referring to the all holy penis as something to protect and glorify.

(I realize, historically that is not why the vagina is glorified but you get what I'm saying.)

If you've got a woman on your hands who says sex is = to rape, you've got a woman who hates men or sex. That doesn't mean she's a neo-fem. My personal feeling is that a feminist is at heart an equalist*, a humanist.
          I would have no reason to attack the word feminism if it weren't hijacked by insane man-hating women who have faced no real oppression and simply want more privilege. Everyone deals with some form of stereotyping, people just need to get the fuck over it and realize these stereotypes exist for a reason.

Times have changed, and for all intents and purposes, the original cause of feminism has already been won. Some men are fucked up, but this is the case with both genders. They want equality, yet, their actions are largely contradictory and just by using this label are doing nothing but segregating and pushing it further away from the original purpose.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by lea View Post
            Not to get too sidetracked but just about everybody on this website believes in something considered radical and challenging the status quo. That doesn't mean the status quo is wrong in all instances. Paul says a lot I agree with and a lot I really, really don't. It's not right just because its different.
            That is a sig worthy quote.

Comment

I would have no reason to attack the word feminism if it weren't hijacked by insane man-hating women who have faced no real oppression ......

...Times have changed, and for all intents and purposes, the original cause of feminism has already been won.
              Yes, the word has been hijacked. But you don't have to have faced personal oppression to speak out against oppression.

Here's my litmus test: As long as someone makes a racially charged comment and we all gasp, turn horrified and chastised the person BUT when someone makes a gender derogatory comment and everyone snickers, giggles and says "its just a joke, grow a pair", then no, we have not met the original cause of feminism.

Comment

Yes, the word has been hijacked. But you don't have to have faced personal oppression to speak out against oppression.

Here's my litmus test: As long as someone makes a racially charged comment and we all gasp, turn horrified and chastised the person BUT when someone makes a gender derogatory comment and everyone snickers, giggles and says "its just a joke, grow a pair", then no, we have not met the original cause of feminism.
                Is it OK to snicker and giggle at everything? I'm an equal opportunity sort of guy.

Comment

Times have changed, and for all intents and purposes, the original cause of feminism has already been won.
                  As the father of a daughter, I completely and categorically reject that notion.

There is a LONG way to go.

Comment

• Re. feminism: FWIW, in IMO it stems from the way children are brought up these days. I came (born and raised an 'enlightened' society in an European country) to the US as a teen and was really shocked to see how differently children from the two genders are treated in a typical American family. Usually, the boys are given many household chores, including work in the kitchen, while girls are treated as more 'special'. There is certainly discrimination from what I have observed. My field of work has to do with home improvement and I visit homes of families with children of all ages fairly often.

Comment

• I dunno, I grew up not even knowing a woman can stay at home and not work until my teens, and that was exception (like husband who had a job abroad); my grandma was a professor of economics, my mom - a geophysicist, and yet males were raised to treat females as fragile, and as soon as the jam hit the fan, it was women's job is secitution and cleaning....

Then, again, I went to a conference on a fancy resort, and was lifting because the resort is fancy enough to have a squatting rack of sorts in the gym) and a normal North American man asked me if I was a foreigner (the usual way they put it, the, you know, so where you're from? shit. I thought he deduced I had an accent from a grunt or two, but he explained jovially that women here do not lift (I guess I see men with boobs in the gyms).

I dunno, I am confused as to what I am supposed to strive for, but I know for sure that most of women in the world have the short end of the stick, and it's bloody good here. Despite an odd question. I feel more uncomfortable about accent and weight than I do about not having a penis.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by lea View Post
                        No politician or dietary person is god and they are all wrong about something.
                        Originally posted by lea View Post
                        just about everybody on this website believes in something considered radical and challenging the status quo. That doesn't mean the status quo is wrong in all instances.
                        I like you

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        Uhm, again, an aside here, purely diet.

Tried gelatin in coffee, and I do prefer it in jellos and broth. Glucomannan >>> gelatin as a hunger suppressant (so I better order more glucomannan soon). I think that's because I never really go low on protein, but I think I need more fibre than an average person to feel full, and simply not eating as much vegetables as I used to. I find that, yeah, am more likely to have digestive distress with vegetables after the VLC sting still.

In good news, still enjoying clear skin - a few days now of normal pale rather than red splotchy face. NICE! Did not yet tried straight milk (lol, scary shit).

Energy and recovery are VERY good, considering I am putting in 3-4 serious cardio sessions between 4 lifting sessions. Carbs are probably the same happy 100-200 range.

No weight loss, but I am creating a new 135 lbs identity.
                        That's cool you're liking it so far Leida! Just been a couple of days, right? Is the skin a new development since you started?
                        I think I said, it took two - three weeks before anything happened for me weight wise. But, I took some progress pics today, and I am one happy lady! I'm finally back at the weight I was last November. Still a bit to go before I get back to where I was at the start of my VLC fiasco, but actually feeling positive.

One downside to the woe is that it's made me so lazy about cooking that I'm probably not eating enough meat. *Whatever Peat says about iron* - I know I need more, because I stop menstruating if I don't have it. My cycle was way too short this month, and I'm pretty sure that's why. Need to tweak.

Also, the gelatine doesn't just suppress my appetite - it suppresses my desire to eat meat...
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• My current views are inherited entirely from my grandmother, a foreigner to the US, who was a feminist activist. She was entirely vocally against modern feminism, saying it has turned into an entirely different cause. I want equality. Is this a bad thing?

A joke is something entirely different than a direct oppression. This is the problem with leftist liberals, feminists, and other like kin, there is no direct action against your rights in civilized first world countries, it's all about muh feelings. So, yes, in this case, grow a pair. It's not like I have not been insulted for being pansexual, bisexual, whatever, or just being myself. I don't blame all people for those that insulted me, and I know my rights are not being trampled on simply because of a joke. Look at your position you're in now, compare it to when women legitimately had no rights, then look around the internet to see where these lobbyists have taken feminism and try to tell me it's going in a good direction.

Someone mentioned something enlightening to me just now: when did equal rights turn into the idea that they're being oppressed for every feminine choice they make, and the complete emasculation of men and to put them under the heel?
                          Last edited by Derpamix; 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Any chance your grandmothers opinion was that it "eroded the family unit"?

The joke analogy was my simplified way to explain, w/o a lengthy diatribe, about what those 'jokes' communicate. They are a constant undercurrent, it's a devaluation, it's a perpetual message that you are less than if you can't roll w/ punches and the punches are about something you can't change; your gender. Male or female. It sounds like you've been on the receiving end of that––so maybe we can agree that generalizations are a waste.

So either you are p.o.'d at lobbyists or neo-feminists...I'm not sure. As the earlier commenter said, we've got it a fair bit better here than other countries. I don't think we've got to, as a species, give up on raising the bar and expectations for all of us, do you? And I'm not going to buy into that "be happy w/ your seat on the bus, just be glad you get one now" nonsense.

As for muh feelings; I'm pretty sure you and I would have a raging good time ripping into all the ways the world has turned equal rights into emasculation of men via the media....it's a cheap angle that will only %^$&##@$ our world up. Having worked in digital media, I know it's pervasive.

But don't convince yourself that every radical feminist is representative of the whole. You'd be surprised how much non-radicals have advanced the various things you enjoy day to day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Is it OK to snicker and giggle at everything? I'm an equal opportunity sort of guy.
                              can you imagine?! I think that'd be hilarious. Tho' I know you're yanking my chain, it's a good one.

Comment

Any chance your grandmothers opinion was that it "eroded the family unit"?

The joke analogy was my simplified way to explain, w/o a lengthy diatribe, about what those 'jokes' communicate. They are a constant undercurrent, it's a devaluation, it's a perpetual message that you are less than if you can't roll w/ punches and the punches are about something you can't change; your gender. Male or female. It sounds like you've been on the receiving end of that––so maybe we can agree that generalizations are a waste.

So either you are p.o.'d at lobbyists or neo-feminists...I'm not sure. As the earlier commenter said, we've got it a fair bit better here than other countries. I don't think we've got to, as a species, give up on raising the bar and expectations for all of us, do you? And I'm not going to buy into that "be happy w/ your seat on the bus, just be glad you get one now" nonsense.

As for muh feelings; I'm pretty sure you and I would have a raging good time ripping into all the ways the world has turned equal rights into emasculation of men via the media....it's a cheap angle that will only %^$&##@$ our world up. Having worked in digital media, I know it's pervasive.

But don't convince yourself that every radical feminist is representative of the whole. You'd be surprised how much non-radicals have advanced the various things you enjoy day to day.
                                Some of it, yes. She didn't like much of the American adaptation of it. She was criticized for wanting to raise a family, and take the role of a house wife, because it was considering empowering men, and pandering to their role and holding women back. She saw it as her choice, and if she were truly equal, then both men and women should have the right to choose whether or not they wanted to be a stay at home mother or father. On the other hand, they would criticize men who did not want to go to work for being lazy and not bringing home money for the woman, and thus, holding them back again. Then she would receive more contradictory opinions for feeling that her husband doesn't need to give her money, or make more than her, to be considered her equal. Does this sound confusing enough yet? It doesn't seem to be about equality anymore.

The problems with society stem a lot further than these, I don't think as long as we remain as slaves controlled by propaganda and our "masters", that these issues will ever improve. These feminists buy into whatever they absorbed in their glassy eyed zombified state in front of the TV and never know true oppression or anything about reality in general.

I don't deny it, my grandmother was one.
                                Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                                X