No announcement yet.

Desserts - okay to use natural sugars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desserts - okay to use natural sugars?

Hello I love making desserts occasionally. I know using highly refined sugar and flour is not primal at all...so I'm trying some modifications....Please let me know if I'm being primal?

- I am substituting white flour for almond or coconut flour
    - I am substuiting corn starch for arrowroot
    - I am substituting refined sugar for nature sugar such as agave nectar, raw honey, maple syrup, and cane sugar

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not to be the grammar police but for the sake of clarity- you mean the exact opposite, yes?

You are using almond or coconut flour, arrowroot, and unrefined sugar, is that correct?

Aside from the flour, I don't consider any of those to be particularly big wins. I think the "occasionally" is the big win.
    Last edited by loafingcactus; 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

I mean the opposite lol...oops

Comment

Using unrefined sugar such as raw honey...using almond flour...and using arrowroot

Last edited by imp; 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
          Using unrefined sugar such as raw honey...using almond flour...and using arrowroot

Comment

Personally, I think of food as something that makes me more healthy or less healthy. None of your substitutions are really anything to write home about. When I want the occasional dessert, I just have the real thing if it's special enough to be worth it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

what is your aim? sugar is sugar as far as the body is concerned and most baked goods require more than a scant serving. the least offensive you offer is honey, but that should still be consumed sparingly.

very few like cooking with nut flours -- the high heat likely causes oxidation.

what's the arrowroot for? to thicken fruit for pies?

people get hung up trying to make imitations of the foods they are giving up, instead of focusing on the foods you can eat. if you have a potluck or party or something, that's one thing, but "faleo" foods are usually calorie/sugar bombs anyway.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

If you miss sweets, just have them, and recreating them is hard, and they don't taste great and they are still so high in calories.

There are some more primal choices that don't require substitutes- chocolate mousse, flourless chocolate cake, fruit and whipped cream.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                  If you miss sweets, just have them, and recreating them is hard, and they don't taste great and they are still so high in calories.
                  I don't know, my wife's gotten pretty good at gluten-free baking, but she uses the commercial gluten-free flour mixes rather than coconut or almond flours.

Comment

Using the substitutes I posted makes decent end products...depending on what you make.

I'm just asking because I found that unrefined sugars has a lower glycemic index thus decreasing the insulin response compared to refined table sugar

Comment

You should check out the books Primal Cravings and Paleo Deserts. PC shows you how to make every comfort food imaginable in a healthier way. The recipes are all primal/paleo friendly, use natural flours/sweeteners and won't hurt you as long as you don't gorge on them. They do have A LOT of calories so if you are worried about weight loss you might not want to do them very often and you don't want to eat so much that you are too filled up to eat healthier foods like meat, fish, vegetables and fats. I usually eat very cleanly during the week and might have some chocolate chip cookies or biscuts on the weekends. I exercise a lot on the weekends and still make sure I get plenty of protein, fats and vegetables so I don't see it being a problem for me. Any time I have mentioned these books or any of the recipes in them, several people have acted like they are the work of the devil; however, Mark endorses Primal Cravings so obviously it isn't that bad. Many people are purists and wouldn't consider eating anything in these books which is great for them but some people prefer more variety and occaissional comfort foods which if done right, is fine too.

Comment

I don't see why it would be a problem, in moderation of course.
                        My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

The only thing I think you shouldn't use is the agave nectar. There is a post on marks blog about it, I remember something about mark telling its not primal.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                            Using the substitutes I posted makes decent end products...depending on what you make.

I'm just asking because I found that unrefined sugars has a lower glycemic index thus decreasing the insulin response compared to refined table sugar
                            the glycemic index is an outmoded way of looking at this, unless you're eating honey or sugar by the spoon, by itself. what you eat alongside affects the gi too. for that matter, commercial honey and maple syrup have basically the same gi as table sugar.
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

If it is okay to cook with cooking fats, it is okay to use natural sweeteners. Honey, maple syrup, molasses, coconut sugar, brown sugar and sucanat are all much more nutritious than coconut oil, olive oil, lard, tallow, etc. They are useful tools and only a problem when they become significantly excess calories, or start displacing nutritious foods for them since oils and sugars are comparatively nutritionless versus whole foods. Enjoy in moderation.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X