No announcement yet.

Desserts - okay to use natural sugars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should add: agave nectar is horrendous. Probably the worst sweetener on the market that isn't "artificial." White sugar and HFCS are both vastly superior. Avoid.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Thank you for all your responses...especially the info about agrave nectar....and how is honey more nutritious than coconut oil?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
        Thank you for all your responses...especially the info about agrave nectar....and how is honey more nutritious than coconut oil?

Because coconut oil is a refined fat with close to zero vitamins and minerals, while honey has a measurable mineral content and something like 100 known antioxidants. Maple syrup is even more nutritious than honey, and it would blow your mind how much magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron blackstrap molasses contains. Molasses is more nutritious than some whole foods, it's pretty astounding stuff. No oil is really all that nutritious. The only two that even register a blip on the radar are grassfed butter/ghee and red palm oil. Molasses and maple syrup handily demolish both.

I'm not saying it is a great idea to start pouring the stuff all over your food. Real food always takes priority. However, if it's okay to fry an egg in a pat of butter, it's fine to add a tablespoon of maple syrup to your sweet potato. I'd say it's a better use of calories than a pat of butter
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
          Personally, I think of food as something that makes me more healthy or less healthy. None of your substitutions are really anything to write home about. When I want the occasional dessert, I just have the real thing if it's special enough to be worth it.
          I agree. A cupcake is a cupcake. There are healthier dessert ideas out there than primalized versions of baked goods. Unless there are extreme allergies or intolerances to work around, just eat the real deal once in a while.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Hmm thanks for the info Choco....where do you get all these facts?

Comment

We don't do much baking at all, but when we do we just stick with sugar (although we usually use 1/2 or 1/3 of what the recipe calls for)
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Hello I love making desserts occasionally. I know using highly refined sugar and flour is not primal at all...so I'm trying some modifications....Please let me know if I'm being primal?

- I am substituting white flour for almond or coconut flour
                - I am substuiting corn starch for arrowroot
                - I am substituting refined sugar for nature sugar such as agave nectar, raw honey, maple syrup, and cane sugar

I would say all of this is fine occasionally. Just stay away from the agave. As someone else already noted, it's worse than table sugar. I would say it's on par with high fructose corn syrup. How it got known as healthy is quite beyond me.
                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

In terms of health, there isn't a massive difference between refined sugar and say maple syrup. I'd be more concerned with how frequently you are eating these deserts, than what difference minor substitutions make.
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I honestly don't see the point of making a healthy dessert if your point is to indulge once in awhile. If you're indulging in it every day, ok, it might make a small difference but then you're doing yourself a disservice by eating junk so often. Primal junk is still junk. If you're having a very occasional indulgence, unless you're a sufferer of celiac or gluten intolerance, gave an actual cookie, cupcake, whatever. Once in awhile is not going to kill you.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Hmm thanks for the info Choco....where do you get all these facts?

Just check out a website that tracks calories like Nutritiondata, Fitday, etc. Compare the foods on a calorie-per-calorie basis. Look at molasses vs coconut oil.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Molasses
                      Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Vegetable oil, coconut

Look at the nutrition profile of an ounce of molasses, which has about 40% less calories than a tablespoon of coconut oil. CO posts a big fat '0' in all columns of measurable nutrition, but molasses is a stunner. Mind you, blackstrap molasses will crush this - they don't have data on blackstrap. Blackstrap is a little harder to find, but that stuff is liquid gold if you don't mind the taste. I can make phenomenal caramel using grassfed butter and blackstrap molasses in place of corn syrup as an invert sugar. Don't get me started!

Again, I'm not advocating the consumption of lots of high calorie sugary syrups. I'm just saying if it's okay to use a tablespoon of oil, it's fine to use some honey, maple syrup, molasses, etc here and there. Just be responsible and use it in moderation. If you're going to make lots of fatty, sugary desserts, you're probably going to gain weight! But you also need to give yourself the occasional treat or you'll possibly deprive yourself into a binge scenario.
                      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        Because coconut oil is a refined fat with close to zero vitamins and minerals, while honey has a measurable mineral content and something like 100 known antioxidants. Maple syrup is even more nutritious than honey, and it would blow your mind how much magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron blackstrap molasses contains. Molasses is more nutritious than some whole foods, it's pretty astounding stuff.
                        Iron's Dangers

Aside from that, how do you personally eat Mollases? It's like tar. I've got a tub of it at home but haven't a clue how to combine it with actual food.

Comment

Actually, I'm licking my pure blackstrap organic molasses right now. Not bad as it goes.

Comment

1 part molasses, 2 parts whiskey
                            -into crockpot with pork loin
                            -poured over the top of meatloaf before it goes in the oven
                            -I'm sure there are more options I have not yet attempted

I don't think of it as a health food in any way shape or form, but it is yummy.
                            In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
                            Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
                              Iron's Dangers

Aside from that, how do you personally eat Mollases? It's like tar. I've got a tub of it at home but haven't a clue how to combine it with actual food.
                              Has anyone seen the iron content of beef lately?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, grass-fed, ground, raw

How about eggs?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, raw, fresh

As we know, Peat is huge on the consumption of beef and eggs.

I'm not worried all that much about the iron content of molasses. I'm not drinking a glass of it a day. One bottle lasts a few months. I don't think anyone in this country is sick due to overzealous consumption of molasses, and since many of us are deficient in magnesium and potassium, we'd probably get some good out of it by swapping out some of that HFCS for a little molasses

I don't "eat" molasses. I use it for homemade BBQ sauces and homemade caramel. Reduce a pint of blueberries or a pound of pitted bing cherries slowly over medium-low heat until thick, stirring to prevent sticking, mix in a small can of tomato paste, add apple cider vinegar and molasses, mix in chili powder and a few drops of liquid smoke. Thin with beef broth if necessary. Thank me later!

Comment

He's also huge on limiting eggs and balancing it with OJ, and drinking coffee with meat to negate the effects of excess iron.

Still, I get your point and agree. And I'll thank you now - that recipe looks pretty darm interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X