Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What vegetables are part of your daily diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vegetables are part of your daily diet?

Since vegetables are such a significant part of what we need to eat, I'd like to get an idea of what vegetables everyone makes a part of their daily diet, and also, which do you eat as a cheat/guilty pleasure (perhaps due to high starch content, etc.)?

The veggies that show up in my diet most often (though not exactly on a daily basis) are onions, spinach (or other random greens), broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and carrots. Hopefully soon I'll have a big enough supply of Brussels sprouts to make them a regular item.

My only real "treat" is sweet potatoes.

Comment

Daily/ Weekly rotation:
      lettuce
      spinach/ whatever green happened to be on sale (except collard greens. Bleh.)
      bell pepper (sever colors)
      hot peppers
      onion
      grape tomato
      green beans
      asparagus
      carrot
      cuke
      garlic (as much as I consume, it falls into veggies)
      broccoli
      beets
      radishes

Less often:
      Zukes (carb content),

once a month:
      Sweet potato
      red potato
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

None.
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Onions, tomatoes and avocadoes (ok, it's a fruit) are my weekly staples. The rest (not necessarily regularly every week) are cauliflower, red cabbage, baby spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms (a fungus but whatever), and broccoli. Less frequently carrots, eggplant, beets, turnips, and spaghetti squash. Sweet potatoes maybe every 4-5 months.

Comment

Onions, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, spinach (notice they're all cheap? =P).

Others that I eat fairly often are asparagus, raw greens (esp romaine), cooked greens (collard, mustard, kale, chard), bok choy, various hot peppers, and brussels sprouts. I'm not gonna argue whether green beans or snap peas are vegetables or not, I still eat those too.

I haven't really eaten potatoes (white or sweet) since going primal, and I plan on saving them for times where there's no other option.
            "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

A little OT but the last time I had potatoes was over the holidays when I made purple sweet potatoes I found at an Asian grocery store. They were amazing! They are very fragrant and have a roasted chestnut kind of texture. I don't know about the carb count but I figured there were lots of antioxidants in that wonderful pigment! The only downside is that a bulk of that pigment wound up on my hands...

Comment

I'll typically have a salad with my mid-morning meal and a big plate of steamed vegetables with at dinner. The salad will usually have 1-2 greens as the base (spinach, chard, romaine, collards, turnip), and some combination diced vegetables like cucumbers, zucchini, beets, radishes, celery, and okra depending on what I have. Dinner is typically a mix of broccoli, carrots, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and green beans, again depending on what I have. I also eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but I don't consider them a true vegetable. I avoid nightshades for the most part because I feel better when I do so.

Comment

My staples are radishes (including the greens when eating home grown produce), spinach, asparagus, avocado, broccoli, cucumber, cabbage varieties (white, red, tenderheart, Chinese, spring greens, pak choi), bell peppers, courgettes (zucchini), aubergines (eggplant), tomato, green beans and lettuce. Oh, and onions/garlic, and an occasional carrot, raw or in a stew. Rarely squash, Jerusalem artichokes and sweet potato - maybe once each since I started PB (mid January) and always with some other veggies, plus meat/fat.

I am not actually a great lover of veggies, except maybe radishes and asparagus, so I feel rather virtuous eating them every day (I know that some people do not believe plant matter is nutritious to humans, I think that phytonutrients are useful).

Comment

Daily I typically eat a salad with 2-3 kinds of lettuce and cucumbers on it. I may also have a bowl of chicken/veggie soup which contains about a cup of mixed veggies (cauliflower, broccoil, squash, zucchini and carrots). At night we typically grill a meat and I throw a few veggies on the grill too. Usually it's squash or zucchini because those are our favs. Sometimes asparagus.

Comment

Usually: broccoli, spinach, lettuces, garlic, onion, celery, carrots, asian greens
                      Occasionally: watercress, chives, cucumbers, cilantro, different cabbages, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus
                      Rarely: nightshades, sweet potatoes, squashes

I also find that some vegetables are a lot cheaper if you buy them frozen opposed to fresh, and it's more convenient (less waste)
                      I usually buy my spinach and brussel sprouts frozen

Comment

mostly: kale, spinach and broccoli.
                        sometimes: onions, tomatoes, cauliflower, green cabbage, mushrooms (not a veg? whatever) garlic.
                        almost never: salad greens, I leave those for people on diets. Honestly though, I hardly ever eat cold vegetables or salads. I like my dark greens and my meats.

I should note I started PB eating a LOT more vegetables then I realized which I liked a lot, which I didn't care too much for and that's how I eat. I sometimes wonder if I'm neglecting certain important nutrients/vitamins by only eating kale, broccoli and spinach 70% of the time but I don't spend too much time worrying about it.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Usually I just go to the Farmers' Market and see what looks good

Lately that has been: Persian Cucumbers (small and thin-skinned, you don't have to peel them), tomatoes, peppers, avocados, onions, chard and zucchini. Also in heavy rotation, broccoli, cauliflower and fresh herbs like basil and cilantro.

Comment

lettuces of sorts, onions & garlic for flavor...mushrooms esp the exotice ones....thats about it
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Cabbage (red and white), Cauliflower, Broccoli, All leafy greens, all peppers (the hotter the better), lots of onions, Carrots, Cucumbers and Zucchini.
                              It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

Comment

Working...
                              X