No announcement yet.

Owen's wild food adventures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, just started a meetup group, wish me luck: Worcestershire Foraging and Wild Edibles (Worcester, England) - Meetup
    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Time to resurrect the wild food adventures blog. Two weeks ago I found the first green shoots of bedstraw in the Wyre Forest, approx three weeks early due to the mild weather we've had. I ate them and woke up the next morning full (literally) of the joys of spring. This wild food thing is not to be underestimated.

I started the spring off on Saturday with 3 hours in the company of Chris Hope, a Bristol based wild plant expert who took me and a group of people on a walk through a normal urban park where he identified an unbelievable amount of wild edibles, only a few of which I was already familiar. Suffice to say this is the inspiration I need for another year's foraging, and have already started with bedstraw and juniper buds in the Wyre Forest. My aim this year, having obtained a smattering of knowledge during last year, is to supplement my diet with wild foods at least once a week, if not more, between now and November, allowing for the fact that in the coldest months, wild edibles are a bonus but hard to come by. Wish me luck.

Comment

Glad to hear you're still foraging. This winter has been odd in my area, we typically get a lot of mushrooms but at first it was too dry and now it's constantly raining. I did find some chanterelles last week but they were too water logged. Perhaps when it finally stops raining we may find some black trumpets, keeping my fingers crossed.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I still haven't explored the mushrooms side of foraging but intend to get some lessons this year. Its the one area for obvious reasons I want to be with a teacher instead of relying on a book only. Sounds like you have some experience in this area. I was advised as an initial safety measure - if the gills are white, just don't touch it.

Comment

It's a good idea to start with a teacher. One of our friends is a mycologist and I took his field class. Still I only stick to the mushrooms I can confidently identify and have no harmful look-alikes.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              It's a good idea to start with a teacher. One of our friends is a mycologist and I took his field class. Still I only stick to the mushrooms I can confidently identify and have no harmful look-alikes.
              Do you have any experience of the hallucinogenic ones? Are they particularly common?

Comment

My newly formed Foraging and Wild edibles group had it's first meeting today. Morning coffee and walk on Malvern Hills - Worcestershire Foraging and Wild Edibles (Worcester, England) - Meetup

It was a success!

Comment

Owen, sorry I missed your previous post. I do have experience with hallucinogenic mushrooms but not ones that I've foraged myself. My mycologist friend forages for some but I personally would not. My experimental drug use is now a thing of the past. The only hallucinogenic mushroom that I can positively identify is amanita muscaria (big red mushroom with white spots) and it's considered toxic.

Congratulation on your meetup!

Comment

Setting up a mushroom foraging event for my group later this year hopefully. I've decided to get a teacher in for obvious reasons!

Comment

Have you checked for mulberries yet? In my area (Washington DC), mulberries usually ripen in late May. According to this: Growing apple trees and other fruit trees in the UK climate , the UK is a bit warmer than the DC area. If you're warmer and if you've had a mild winter, the first mulberries might be close to ripening.

My area had a late winter, so I'm expecting the mulberries to be a month late here. There is a mulberry tree way in the back yard and it barely has its leaves.
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen View Post
                        The place is now a haven for butterflies, and to my amazement in the UK, hummingbirds. At first I thought they were big bees.
                        Could it have been this

BBC Nature - Hummingbird hawk-moth videos, news and facts

I saw some on the fuchsia bushes and was AMAZED! I also thought they were humming birds, but was told not, they were a form of moth.

Comment

Love this thread! I use jack-by-the-hedge, ramsons, nettle, ground elder (quite a strong taste) and have grown some purslane, which I didn't like but added to soups is OK. Lots of wild fruits. I made rowan jelly a few years ago but it was vile! Very bitter...

Owen, have you seen the you tube series of the hedge chef, Alan Cree? Well worth watching.

Comment

Working...
                          X