• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post lifting snacks?

I cannot get into protein shakes.
    What do you eat?

Dinner. Or protein shakes in the form of raw egg

Comment

I typically lift right before dinner, so dinner.
      My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Are you looking to gain weight or lose weight? That makes a difference.

If you mean literal snacks (like portable food that easy to snack on), try beef jerky, fruit, rice cakes, coconut water. And if you're looking to gain weight, try macadamia nuts, dark chocolate, dates, and other really calorie dense foods and put those babies down the hatch.

Comment

I eat my meals at the usual time no matter what time I work out.

Comment

Shake fat loss no carbs , size gains carbs (banana or 2) if not I wait till dinner .

London UK

Comment

I eat a meal. I don't do snacks or protein drinks/bars.
              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I've been eating dinner, but sometimes it's a few hrs after I workout. I read that you should eat after, but haven't and thought maybe that's why I'm kinda tired. I'm looking to lose weight.

Comment

Originally posted by umm7 View Post
                  I've been eating dinner, but sometimes it's a few hrs after I workout. I read that you should eat after, but haven't and thought maybe that's why I'm kinda tired. I'm looking to lose weight.
                  Muscle protein synthesis is elevated for quite a while post-workout (assuming you lift weights). The recommendations to eat within an hour after lifting are unsubstantiated/based on those training completely fasted. If you're not training fasted, post workout nutrition is not that important, assuming you're hitting your calorie and macronutrient totals for the day.

Comment

Thanks that helps with my understanding. Yes, barbell weight training, not sure with the macros that whole deal is hard to figure out, never fasting before training.

Comment

Thanks that helps with my understanding. Yes, barbell weight training, not sure with the macros that whole deal is hard to figure out, never fasting before training.
                      If you're looking to build muscle, just be sure that you're in a slight caloric surplus and consuming adequate protein (0.8 - 1 gram per pound of bodyweight). Everything else is pretty much personal preference, but don't skimp on carbs as they will fuel exercise performance.

Comment

What would be adequate carbs? I am doing this with a calorie deficit as to drop weight. I have read conflicting ideas about that.

Comment

What would be adequate carbs? I am doing this with a calorie deficit as to drop weight. I have read conflicting ideas about that.
                          Oh ok. Carb intake is going to vary drastically between individuals.

How lean are you right now? How active are you? I usually prefer a good balance. Not too low in fat so that you can maintain hormonal function and satiety, and not too low on carbs to the point where exercise performance suffers and you start to feel like crap.

What I do is set protein, set fat to a moderate level, and then fill the rest of my calories with carbs.

Comment

Jakejoh, is post workout nutrition after training fasted but on a Bulletproof coffee still as important as after training completely fasted?

Comment

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                              Jakejoh, is post workout nutrition after training fasted but on a Bulletproof coffee still as important as after training completely fasted?
                              The issue is not having any circulating amino acids, and BPC doesn't solve this problem. However, as long as you're taking in a sufficient amount of nutrients (specifically protein) over the course of the day, I'm not convinced that post-workout nutrition is all that big of a deal.

So, it would probably be a good idea to eat soon after training if you don't have any circulating amino acids from a preworkout meal, but if you can't for some reason, I don't see a reason to stress about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X