Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little wine here, a little vodka there...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little wine here, a little vodka there...

I have a beach wedding to go to in about two months and I am sitting at around 25% body fat right now (female, 29), give or take. I definitely have the side abs and top two starting to show, and that has been with some pretty consistent Crossfit training and other moderately active lifestyle type of stuff. My diet hasn't been dialed down the past few months with a lot of weekend binges and eating at summer cookouts and whatnot. Anyway, I'm dialed in now dietwise with the exception of alcohol. I LOVE beer and have cut that out completely, basically cut out wine as well, but I'm not going to lie, I enjoy having a drink at night, or a couple of drinks on the weekend. I'm not REALLY wanting to give that up, but still wanting to be pretty lean by the end of September. So I've been having a vodka soda when I want something to drink. Has anyone on here been trying to "finish" leaning out while still consuming alcohol? Just curious of personal anecdotes.

TL;DR: Trying to lose a few more %'s bodyfat with diet dialed in, except having a drink or two fairly consistently. (I'm 29, trying to enjoy life to the fullest after all...)
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Hard liquor is fine to drink for me. I used to have a shot of gin/tequila nightly and it didn't affect my weight on the least. Go for it if you enjoy drinking.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I would suppose to avoid grain alcohol, but these days it's very filtered so it might not matter.

I too used to be a beerman (and Absinthe man...) but I gave it all up about a year ago now. Unfortunately, my experience with liqour is fairly limited.

You could try mead, that's pretty awesome.

M.

Comment

I think the final few pounds is where calories come in to play more than any other time. Also what you associate with that drink.

Clear 80 proof spirits have 65 cal per liquid oz. So, how stiff you make that drink is what's going to matter. However, if you associate that drink with a two oz serving of cashews, your one drink may make a difference between okay weight and rockin' weight.

OTOH, almost all the homeless drunks I see look like skeletons wrapped in skin, so it may be an individual thing.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I've found drinking at all makes it hard to lose weight. It's either excess calories, or it displaces more nourishing food in a calorie restricted menu. And then it gives me the munchies.

Yum, cashews! I love super colossal raw cashews. I could eat a few ounces of them while drinking vodka. Like 4 ounces.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
            I have a beach wedding to go to in about two months and I am sitting at around 25% body fat right now (female, 29), give or take. I definitely have the side abs and top two starting to show, and that has been with some pretty consistent Crossfit training and other moderately active lifestyle type of stuff. My diet hasn't been dialed down the past few months with a lot of weekend binges and eating at summer cookouts and whatnot. Anyway, I'm dialed in now dietwise with the exception of alcohol. I LOVE beer and have cut that out completely, basically cut out wine as well, but I'm not going to lie, I enjoy having a drink at night, or a couple of drinks on the weekend. I'm not REALLY wanting to give that up, but still wanting to be pretty lean by the end of September. So I've been having a vodka soda when I want something to drink. Has anyone on here been trying to "finish" leaning out while still consuming alcohol? Just curious of personal anecdotes.

TL;DR: Trying to lose a few more %'s bodyfat with diet dialed in, except having a drink or two fairly consistently. (I'm 29, trying to enjoy life to the fullest after all...)
            I have no idea on the "finish" leaning out part since I'm not there yet, but I have managed to keep going down in weight while having alcohol a few days a week. Sometimes on the weekends, way more than I should I noticed right away I couldn't lose if it was beer I drank. If I stick to vodka or whiskey mixed with club soda or water I have no problems.

Comment

what about losing weight and 1-2 glasses of red wine per day?

Comment

Don't know about weight as I don't weigh, but I have been effortlessly dropping dress-sizes whilst drinking wine (sometimes more than I ought!) 4-5 times a week. Feeling tonnes better too. I am peobably heading into vanity LBs territory now so we'll see how it continues from here!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
                  . Has anyone on here been trying to "finish" leaning out while still consuming alcohol? Just curious of personal anecdotes.
                  Yes, having a few drinks at night is nice and makes dieting much more fun! On a diet I use to drink around one bottle of hard liquor every week, Whiskey or Rum... And when not dieting I drink the same but then comes beer and wine in addition! I have no problems of leaning out on Whiskey/Rum, but I drink it on the rocks or stick to Coke Zero and lime juice if making cocktails...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I know a body builder who is always lean and he drinks vodka and clubsoda. If he drinks beer, he bitches about getting fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I usually have a few glasses of dry red wine on the weekends, and sometimes vodka with sparkling mineral water/lime/strawberry slices (or strawberry kumbucha!). It does tend to make me retain a bit of water, what with the temporarily elevated liver enzymes, but I usually lose it by Monday or Tuesday, then I'm back to losing - maybe just try not to overdo it *too* often.

Comment

Alcohol is processed differently than any other calorie you take in. Your body sees it as a toxin and so it is therefore bumped to the head of the line for processing by your liver. The trouble is that while your liver is busy processing that booze, the other food you ingest is being shunted into storage (because your liver is busy). Storage=fat.

So, it is not just about the extra calories or carbs in booze, it is about how they are processed. Some people are more sensitive than others to this metabolic effect of booze.
                        Personally, I have found that one night of very moderate imbibing (2-3 glasses of wine) can undo a whole week's worth of efforts with clean eating.

So perhaps a Whole30 approach? Give it a complete rest for a month and then re-evaluate.

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses guys! I think I'm going to try a couple weeks with vodka soda see how it goes, and if I'm still having a hard time, then try more of a "Whole 30" approach, although that being said there are things I won't be eliminating diet wise because I'm burning a lot of calories during the day. I definitely see where it can be a calories in calories out thing as well because realistically I'm at the point where I'm just not losing weight anymore, but still leaning out and toning up. I don't even get on the scale at this point (thanks Crossfit...). I'll be sure to check back in with you all in a couple of weeks and report my findings. :-)
                          ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Comment

I was able to make decent body composition progress with really clean eating over a period of several months despite regularly drinking beer, wine, and NorCal margaritas. I tried to stay away from any drinks that are too sugary. Through a little experimentation I found that I made faster progress as well as felt and looked better when drinking primarily NorCal margaritas rather than wine or beer. One month that involved a lot of travel and visitors in town, I drank a lot of beer and felt I made some strides backwards. Right now I am experimenting with completely avoiding all booze for 30 days. At about 2 weeks in, I feel I am making good progress but it hasn't made the amazing difference I expected it to, at least yet. The jury is still out on whether the booze is worth it, but when I go back I will almost certainly be sticking primarily to NorCal margaritas.

Comment

Working...
                            X