How can I be low on B12?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bifcus View Post
    If not straight out problems with intrinsic factor, you could be low on some of the co-factors.

This is lengthy, so maybe skip to the later bits where they talk about the co-factors.
    Active B12 therapy and methylation FAQ
    Oh wow - that is a lot to take in. Do you have experience with trying to fix this? Any success?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
      Another vote for absorption issue, which I have as well. I take a sublingual supp...my first experience with a B12 injection was not so pleasant, not something I'll do again.
      I was fine with B12 injections at first, but developed an allergy to the shots. I take Jarrow B-right with all the methylated B vitamins. With that, I can keep my B12 level around 500.

Do you know what caused your absorption issue? How to you manage it?
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

I have to ask the most obvious medical question.....do you drink often?

It is a dead-on link between b12 deficiency. It can give a lot of neuropathic issues....
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          I was fine with B12 injections at first, but developed an allergy to the shots. I take Jarrow B-right with all the methylated B vitamins. With that, I can keep my B12 level around 500.

Do you know what caused your absorption issue? How to you manage it?
          Within half an hour of the shot, I got a huge, hot rush feeling, like a crazy adrenaline rush or something. I couldn't concentrate to drive (had to pull over) and was on edge like a crackhead for a good 20 mins until it subsided. My energy was crap for the rest of the month after that, so I went back to my morning supp.

I had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago...no real stomach (so not much stomach acid) and a bypassed first foot of small intestine means I don't absorb many things very well. Right now I'm managing it by taking 2500mcg/day sublingual cyanocobalamin, but my ND's asked me to drop that to 1000mcg/day for a bit. I can't say what my levels are like right now, I haven't had them tested in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
            I have to ask the most obvious medical question.....do you drink often?

It is a dead-on link between b12 deficiency. It can give a lot of neuropathic issues....
            I do drink, but pretty rarely. I would say I average one drink per week. On vacation I might have a couple of drinks a day for 2-3 days of the trip. But nothing regular.

That shouldn't be enough to cause issue, or am I wrong?

Comment

Aw man, hope everything is ok. That is just really annoying - I feel like you've gone through every odd ailment imaginable
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
              X