Grapefruit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefruit

I've recently cut down on my fruit consumption, and increased my vegetables. Lately, I've been enjoying a grapefruit everyday. Who else makes grapefruit a regular item? I can get organic grapefruits at Trader Joe's for about the same prices as organic oranges (I love the taste of both). Are grapefruits nutritionally superior to oranges?

I believe grapefruits to be the better choice over orange. Lower overall GI and still full of vit. C and it naturally promotes fat metabolism, however, I gave fruit up. I too used to eat a daily grapefruit. I have one looking me in the face right now b/c my girlfriend juices. But due to my goals it was recommended by other MDA friends to omit the fruit and I have seen better results. Ask yourself what you're goals are and then make the decision. I don't mind so much, just had to get used to it. But it does help curb cravings and energy dips. I really want to lean out so that's what fueled my decision. If any fruit, right now I would choose strawberries, etc. and after my berry options next would most definitely be a delicious grapefruit. The reunion will be joyess. Best wishes!

Comment

I love grapefruit!
      Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

I'm sure grapefruit is "better for you" and all... but I just can't get past the taste. To quote a web comic I saw a while back, "Grapefruit is what happens when trees throw up."

Comment

Grapefruit is probably my favorite fruit. I still eat them occasionally... maybe 3-4 a month? And it's always a whole one, I can't just eat half and leave the other half in the fridge taunting me. =P So I only do it on days that I'm otherwise really low-carb.

I think I actually like them more now, since really sweet fruit is getting less and less appealing as I'm eating less sweet things in general. I never really liked oranges much anyway so I don't think of grapefruit as a substitute for them, but I would guess it's a somewhat better choice!
          "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I still eat a grapefruit on occasion, but my goal isn't weight-related. Just looking for optimum health and nutrition and grapefruit can definitely play a part in that.
            Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I eat it when I feel the need for something sweet. I used to think grapefruit was way too sour until I went primal and now it tastes sweet to me.

Comment

Grapefruit is yummy! I used to thing it was wretched and sour, until I quit eating so much sweet junk. Now it has a lovely, subtle sweetness. Rather enjoyable.

Comment

I have them often when they're sweet and cheap.

Comment

This is my fruity treat with breakfast on a Sunday but I would like to add 1 or 2 more during the week. Since cutting out the crap sugar they have become very sweet for me!

Comment

We eat grapefruit! Maybe 1-2 per week each? I always used to eat grapefruit with a spoon, but my husband got me to peel it (which, stupidly, I had never thought of. My mom always ate it with a spoon when I was little). I love them and for me, eating a little grapefruit works. Plus it helps to clear out any excess salt in my system.

Comment

I thought they didn't peel that easily? Ok I have to try this!

My mom is on some kind of BP medication where she can not eat grapefruit. How sad is that to cut out something so good for you because of a pill?

Comment

I make a small cut in the skin with a knife first and then go to town. For some reason, I find peeling it to be really satisfying. I kind of like working to get the fruit.

My mom was just raving to me about that grapefruit in a jar and how good it is. When I went to her house, I looked at the package and saw all the sugar. Ugh. But it was mentioned in Prevention magazine, so my CW-entrenched mom swears by it.

Comment

Tim Ferris uses grapefruit juice and coffee among other things when bingeing - "In basic terms our goal is simple: to have as much of the crap ingested either go into muscle tissue or out of the body unabsorbed". p104
                            Combining the naringin in grapefruit juice with coffee, extents the effects of caffeine. So this step minimizes the release of insulin.
                            He has other steps he takes to minimize the effects of the weekly binge.

Comment

Originally posted by AthenaKTM View Post
                              We eat grapefruit! Maybe 1-2 per week each? I always used to eat grapefruit with a spoon, but my husband got me to peel it (which, stupidly, I had never thought of. My mom always ate it with a spoon when I was little). I love them and for me, eating a little grapefruit works. Plus it helps to clear out any excess salt in my system.
                              I have NEVER thought of peeling a graptefruit... I actually enjoyed one today and may have to go a few days without one since there are only 3 left for 4 people and we all love grapefruit. Next time I enjoy one I will have to "peel" it. So weird I never thought about this!

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                              Tim Ferris uses grapefruit juice and coffee among other things when bingeing - "In basic terms our goal is simple: to have as much of the crap ingested either go into muscle tissue or out of the body unabsorbed". p104
                              Combining the naringin in grapefruit juice with coffee, extents the effects of caffeine. So this step minimizes the release of insulin.
                              He has other steps he takes to minimize the effects of the weekly binge.
                              I love Tim Ferris... is this quote from the 4 hour body?
                              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X