Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious - MCT + Sugar = ketosis and carb use simultaneously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious - MCT + Sugar = ketosis and carb use simultaneously?

Since MCT has to go straight into energy production and can't be stored, what happens if the body is offered carbohydrate (say sugar, since it acts quickly also) and MCT simultaneously? Is the person metabolizing both ketones and sugar?

Can't use the word simultaneous without thinking of Chef...
    Crohn's, doing SCD

The mct oil would be used as energy much faster than glucose. Simultaneously? I'm not sure. I would think so to a certain extent meaning until the energy from the mct oil is burned off.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 07-20-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering this because I smell ketones every day after drinking my coconut milk, even though I'm not actively pursuing ketosis. I had carrots in my chicken soup/broth and a bar of chocolate at dinner, yet two hours later I smell ketones. Clearly exogenous ketones, but they are obviously being metabolized - or I couldn't smell it, right?
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I understand most tissues will "choose" a fuel based on relative concentration in the bloodstream so glucose and ketone utilization will both uptick but glucose perhaps moreso due to various BG regulation machinery.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          Clearly exogenous ketones, but they are obviously being metabolized - or I couldn't smell it, right?
          I would think so.

Comment

A normal metabolism has both going on almost always. It's more that ketosis is when your primary fuel us blood ketones and running off of carbs would be when your primary fuel is carbohydrates.

My thought is whether your body is preferring one to the other would somewhat depend on what percentage of your energy was coming from either source. So if you gave it say 100 grams of mct but 10 grams of sugar you'd still be primarily burning ketones. Reverse that and you're gonna be burning sugar.

You can be so used to utilizing ketones that a brief carb-up might temporarily take you out of ketosis but the moment you resume your low carb, high fat eating habits your body quickly readapts to ketosis. It's not like eating a few carbs has screwed you up and you have to completely readapt to ketosis all over again.
            Last edited by Drumroll; 07-20-2013, 11:48 PM.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts and words.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

On a slightly parallel note, I would like to mention that according to what I read (Phinney and Volek), when you have been in ketosis for a relatively long time, ketones are mostly used by the brain while muscles will use free fatty acids directly. Ketones as muscle fuel is in the beginning of the keto-adapted state but the brain is then reserving them for itself. This explains the "king of the world" feeling that some experience after a few weeks in ketosis.

Comment

What's it called when you feel like the king of the world all the freaking time?!
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

What's it called when you feel like the king of the world all the freaking time?!

Narcissism LOL

Comment

Seriously, though. Almost my entire work shift I'm annoyingly happy. It bugs people. I do get cranky once in awhile, but always with high energy. I often feel like I'm made of awesome lightning, like I'm about to fly, like nothing can touch me. Can a manic high become permanent? Is that what Primal has done, stuck the swing at the top of its arc?
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Seriously, though. Almost my entire work shift I'm annoyingly happy. It bugs people. I do get cranky once in awhile, but always with high energy. I often feel like I'm made of awesome lightning, like I'm about to fly, like nothing can touch me. Can a manic high become permanent? Is that what Primal has done, stuck the swing at the top of its arc?
                        No, this is what it's like to feel NORMAL. Everyone else is still stuck in the mire below. Awesome becomes the new normal.

Comment

Haha I was just messing with you. Ever since I changed my eating habits, I have been in a better mood most of the time. Even when I first wake up. I think its because I am more satisfied after eating quality food instead of processed crap. I'm sure I am also benefiting from the endophins from exercise. I don't get hungry as quickly and when I do I don't get crabby like I used to. Remember we are eating real food now, not food made in a lab with chemicals you can't pronounce. And it tastes better.
                          Last edited by Paleo0731; 07-21-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X