Fruit + Fat is a good idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit + Fat is a good idea?

I've been trying to avoid mixing fruits with foods rich in fats and/or protein to make sure that there was no insulin spike of any sort. But as most fruits theoretically have low GI (50 is low right?) then is there a problem with eating a delicious dish with lots of meat and olive oil and then eating a couple of apricots?

This is not something you should be worrying about.

You can eat fruit by itself if you want. Thinking about insulin spikes is ridiculous, unless you have a tendency to go hypoglycemic.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

eat the delicious foods, it's okay
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
        is there a problem with eating a delicious dish with lots of meat and olive oil and then eating a couple of apricots?
        Not at all, the total glucose content in a piece of fruit is pretty low. If you ate enough fruit for the glucose to become a problem then you've already taken in a much more worrying quantity of fructose. But a couple of apricots is neither.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
          Not at all, the total glucose content in a piece of fruit is pretty low. If you ate enough fruit for the glucose to become a problem then you've already taken in a much more worrying quantity of fructose. But a couple of apricots is neither.
          Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
          This is not something you should be worrying about.

You can eat fruit by itself if you want. Thinking about insulin spikes is ridiculous, unless you have a tendency to go hypoglycemic.
          I just want to stay out of ketosis and eat strictly one-meal-a-day and no more, so if the idea was to eat around 8 apricots (or equivalent) and lots of meat and olive oil and vegetables in the same meal... Are you sure that I shouldn't worry about insulin spikes? What amount of fruit is enough to spike insulin up to the point of absorbing fats and protein?

Comment

There's no reason to worry about insulin spikes. They are a normal physiological function.

I think you're quite confused. I would read this series of articles on insulin and understand that insulin does not automatically equal fat gain:

Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation Weightology Weekly
            Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 2 Weightology Weekly
            Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

Also, protein spikes insulin as well, not just sugar. There's no reason to fear insulin.
            My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Are you aiming to lose weight?

One way to test is to eat the fruit and meat and see whether you are still getting the results you want - one thing for sure is that its going to be better than eating flour and sugar.
              Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                There's no reason to worry about insulin spikes. They are a normal physiological function.

I think you're quite confused. I would read this series of articles on insulin and understand that insulin does not automatically equal fat gain:

Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation Weightology Weekly
                Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 2 Weightology Weekly
                Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

Also, protein spikes insulin as well, not just sugar. There's no reason to fear insulin.
                OK, thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Owen View Post
                Are you aiming to lose weight?

One way to test is to eat the fruit and meat and see whether you are still getting the results you want - one thing for sure is that its going to be better than eating flour and sugar.
                Losing weight? I'm really thin now, I just want to stay the way I am and to be guarantee that any weight I gain is muscle. And as I don't see any sort of results I don't think I can do the experiment

Comment

Miguel if I recall correctly you are fairly young, why are you eating one meal a day? Are you not hungry? If you are hungry then eat, eat primal foods. Run around, use your body, learn to listen to it and trust it, don't try and control it too much.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

There is absolutely no issue with you eating one meal per day and including a pile of fruit in that meal so long as you are getting adequate nutrition, including energy. Enjoy
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I think Mark just did a post on the absurdity of "food combining".

Ahh. Here it is Food Combining: Fact or Fiction? | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                        Miguel if I recall correctly you are fairly young, why are you eating one meal a day? Are you not hungry? If you are hungry then eat, eat primal foods. Run around, use your body, learn to listen to it and trust it, don't try and control it too much.
                        I feel really good eating just one meal a day, I'm not hungry at all, the only problem I find is that fruit makes me feel slightly bad, but that's not because I eat only once, that's for sure

Originally posted by peril View Post
                        There is absolutely no issue with you eating one meal per day and including a pile of fruit in that meal so long as you are getting adequate nutrition, including energy. Enjoy
                        Interesting... Thanks

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        I think Mark just did a post on the absurdity of "food combining".

Ahh. Here it is Food Combining: Fact or Fiction? | Mark's Daily Apple
                        Very interesting article! I think that solved all my doubts, I'll just mix everything in the same meal. Thank you very much

Comment

everything you eat causes an insulin response. that's normal bodily function.

can you explain why or how eating fruit "makes you feel bad"?

are you really sure you're consuming enough cals in one sitting to grow, thrive and build muscle? are you really eating a 2500+ calorie meal?
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

you're sure this isn't to save the 120 seconds you might waste eating them later?

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
                            I just want to stay out of ketosis and eat strictly one-meal-a-day and no more
                            intermittent fasting is an excellent way to provoke ketosis.

Miguel, lately you seem to have got very faddy and are doing things with your eating that are odd and grounded in poor science;you want to stay out of ketosis but are Pretty LC, you're also using IF but i doubt your calorie load is high enough to gain muscle. you're 16 and have an active lifestyle and are still developing. please reread about what you are doing
                            Please don't go developing an eating disorder on us- i like you and i want to watch you get awesome not wrecked
                            When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                            27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                            new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                              everything you eat causes an insulin response. that's normal bodily function.

can you explain why or how eating fruit "makes you feel bad"?

are you really sure you're consuming enough cals in one sitting to grow, thrive and build muscle? are you really eating a 2500+ calorie meal?
                              The sugar of the fruit triggers my IBS, I'm extremely sensitive to anything sugary.

And I eat around 0.8g of protein per pound, lots of nutrient-rich vegetables and fruits and around 30g of sugars from fruit (plus a little more from other things I guess). However I've made some calculations and I only eat around 1600 calories every day, but I'm not hungry, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X