Newbie - feeling great but scales not moving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Badgerfaced View Post
    But I am noticing body composition improvements, my belly is flatter, my pants fit better, its just the scales aren't going down!
    so then what does it matter what the scale says????
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

But I am noticing body composition improvements, my belly is flatter, my pants fit better, its just the scales aren't going down!
      I've been stuck at the same weight for six weeks. But, went down a pants size in those six weeks.

Comment

no I know but it cant be consistent right? if I'm feeling slimmer then I must BE slimmer? I just want to be reassured that my numbers will reflect my effort - IF my effort is correct and worthy of results that is. I have advice to increase fat, decrease fat, protein, rah rah rah, its all so conflicting!
        "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
          so then what does it matter what the scale says????
          only because I am a very high weight

Comment

no I know but it cant be consistent right? if I'm feeling slimmer then I must BE slimmer? I just want to be reassured that my numbers will reflect my effort - IF my effort is correct and worthy of results that is. I have advice to increase fat, decrease fat, protein, rah rah rah, its all so conflicting!
            You are getting different advice because different things work for different people. You just need to experiment and find what works for YOU.

If you are getting slimmer, feeling great but not losing weight then that still sounds like you are making progress. Start taking measurements of yourself and track those. The scale isn't the only tool for tracking weight loss and if you are losing inches then you should be feeling pride and a sense of achievement, not questioning yourself.

Comment

If you're getting results, you don't have to change anything. I would advise you to take weekly pictures in the same lighting, using the same pose, so that you can have some consistent feedback.

The reality is that when protein intake is kept stable, the weight loss between a diet high in fat and a diet high in carbs is virtually the same. So, if you're getting results, don't worry about it.
              My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

I get plenty frustrated because the scale moves soooo slow, and sometimes not at all for a long time. I am getting smaller. Go to last post on page 2 where I updated my picture. Hope it helps to see you can shrink in size without the scale moving much.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread80306-2.html

Comment

I seriously doubt I'm gaining muscle doing zero exercise :/
                  If you're coming from a lower protein, high carb/sugar, untrained, no-exercise background you might well be gaining lean mass while dropping fat.

Comment

ok peeps this is what I will do. I'm going to eat a little less meat - I feel it is a little much. I will replace these cals with good fat cals, upping to 60%. I am not going to increase exercise as I have little ability to do that, other than wrestling a small child into shoes. I will try to convince my 18 month old of the benefits, but she will most likely pull my hair and say poo!

I am going to put faith in my genes to express themselves in 3 weeks or else. After this 2 month (total) fat camp I will start a strict elimination regime. My goal in the meantime will be change nothing
                    Last edited by Badgerfaced; 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                      If you're coming from a lower protein, high carb/sugar, untrained, no-exercise background you might well be gaining lean mass while dropping fat.
                      no, my pre - PB diet would have been about 300g carb max, exercise, hiking, kayaking, horse riding, running, no sweet tooth only 2 pce bread a day. BUT I don't know, I think I've always had a big muscle mass .. have been able to lift amounts that jaw drop trainers, and open jars One trainer said - if you were smaller you would look amazing
                      Last edited by Badgerfaced; 07-19-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Feel free to take this advice and put it on the compost pile...but try not to measure your triumphs by what the scale says. Water retention, stress, poor sleep...these are just some of the things that can keep the number on the scale from moving. If your body composition is changing (for the better), then try to use that as your guide, because the scale can lie.
                        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

@oxide

what should I replace the fat calories with? Or are you saying I should be eating 1200 cals a day? I'm 5'4
                          Badgerfaced, I'm sorry I didn't get to reply right away.

Short version: don't replace those calories with ANYTHING. So yes, I do think you should be eating 1200-1400 calories per day. Some of the calorie reduction should be in protein, but most of the reduction should be in fat.

Now I'm going to launch into a very simplified and stylized explanation. Other posters are correct in that metabolism is more complex. But IMO this explanation is good enough for weight loss.

Explanation: Our bodies have the ability to make hormones to burn sugar and to burn fat. CW SADs are so used to sugar that the body makes mostly sugar burn hormones and don't make many fat burning hormones. It's even worse if you're on a low-fat diet. Your body has even less reason to make fat-burning hormones. If you're a sugar burner, when you use up all your sugar, your body doesn't automatically turn to burning fat. Your body doesn't know how to burn fat, in fact your body doesn't know that it's fat. Instead of looking toward the fat, your hungry SAD body just screams out for more sugar. That's the "hunger" you're feeling. So you SAD body fills up on sugar and leaves the fat untouched.

So Step 1 in going Primal/Paleo for weight loss is to get your body to make and use those fat-burner hormones, to re-learn how to burn fat. The way to do this is to eat lots of fat and no sugar/carbs. This forces your body to learn to metabolize fat. Carb flu is part of this transition.

It sounds like you've already completed the transition in Step 1. After a month of strict Primal, you feel great, so your body is likely a fat-burner. Step 2 is to cut your fat intake. This is when Primal starts to LOOK like CICO, but not quite. Instead of calories in minus calories out, think of it as fat grams in minus fat grams out. To reword the old saying, a fat gram IS a fat gram IS a fat gram. As a fat burner, to lose weight you need to eat less fat grams than you burn. And yes it is that simple, but only after your body has ramped up the hormones to burn fat..

How many calories or fat grams do you need in a day so you can produce an energy deficit? I don't know exactly, but general consensus is that 1500-1700 is maintenance for a sedentary Primal woman. Since you have extra fat to burn, you need to take in less. This is why I advocated reducing your calories to 1200-1400 by eating less fat. It doesn't sounds like much food, but remember, those calories are fat and protein now. Once you get used to it, those 1200-1400 calories will be VERY filling.

The problem with SW CICO is that CW doesn't understand that you have to get off of carbs and turn into a fat burner FIRST. After that, THEN it turns into an energy deficit. But instead of counting calories, you count your fat grams. (this is in addition to limiting your carb grams, of course.)
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                            The problem with SW CICO is that CW doesn't understand that you have to get off of carbs and turn into a fat burner FIRST. After that, THEN it turns into an energy deficit. But instead of counting calories, you count your fat grams. (this is in addition to limiting your carb grams, of course.)
                            I don't buy this. An energy deficit is an energy deficit. When protein is kept the same, research continually shows that there is no difference in weight loss between those on a high carb diet vs. those on a high fat diet. It's the caloric intake and protein intake that makes the biggest difference.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                              I don't buy this. An energy deficit is an energy deficit. When protein is kept the same, research continually shows that there is no difference in weight loss between those on a high carb diet vs. those on a high fat diet. It's the caloric intake and protein intake that makes the biggest difference.
                              And resistance training!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                And resistance training!
                                Eh. It's overrated.

Kidding

Comment

Working...
                                X