Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis confusion.

Hello all,

Can anyone enlighten me as to why I can go 14 hours without food, followeed by a bulletproof coffee with about 2 tsp of butter and 1 tbsp of MCT oil, yet 3 hours later not be in ketosis?
    The more the day goes on - still without food for another 7 hours but the odd coffee with cream, I will then be heavily into ketosis.
    Why the delay? My body has fat to use up (I'm about 1/1/2 stone over weight) and NO carbs will have passed my lips during that initial 14 hours!

Im confused as to why ketosis does not show up on the urine sticks, nor on blood readings.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Does it matter at all ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Rattybag;1253583]
      I would think most people go overnight without eating (say 12 hours) and would wake up not in the specified ketosis range - even though they were probably burning fat half the night ( of coarse at a very low work rate - sleeping).

So from whay youre saying, you get up, walk around and do stuff, burn fat at a higher rate, take MCT that goes to the liver makes ketones that's released in to the blood, finally deplete your body's 'carb' stores so more fat burned at a higher rate and you're in 'ketosis'.

Perhaps you have some carbs for dinner ( or plenty of protein), ketosis stops, you go to bed, same cycle starts again...

How long would you expect it to take?
      Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 07-18-2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I'm under the impression that, if you're not doing heavy glucose demanding exercise, it'll take some days.

M.

Comment

the urine sticks are unreliable but the blood reading being negative is odd, what are you eating outside of the fasting? when you say heavily into ketosis what blood results do you get?
          When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
          27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
          new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

There are glycogen stores in your liver and muscles that need to be depleted before you enter ketosis. Unless you eat VLC all the time it will take more than 14 hours to deplete those stores.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

My journal

Comment

Try a ten mile run in the morning in a fasted state...you'll come back in ketosis. it takes time to run your glycogen down to zero.
              Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
              www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
                Does it matter at all ?
                Yes.

Comment

[QUOTE=EatMoveSleep;1253623]
                  Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
                  I would think most people go overnight without eating (say 12 hours) and would wake up not in the specified ketosis range - even though they were probably burning fat half the night ( of coarse at a very low work rate - sleeping).

Perhaps you have some carbs for dinner ( or plenty of protein), ketosis stops,
                  Im on a ketogenic Paleo diet to control seizures so I eat less than 20g of carbs a day. I do eat high protein but I wasnt aware that reduces ketones?

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                    I'm under the impression that, if you're not doing heavy glucose demanding exercise, it'll take some days. M.
                    Ive been eating ketogenically for about a year or so now, but always found zero ketones in the urine and blood for most of that time first thing in the morning. Seems illogical to me!

Comment

Yes, some folks need to reduce their protein to stay in ketosis.

These articles may be helpful:

Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                        the urine sticks are unreliable but the blood reading being negative is odd, what are you eating outside of the fasting? when you say heavily into ketosis what blood results do you get?
                        When the urine sticks show deep purple, I dont blood test, but first thing in the morning (when Ive been medically advised to test) it normally says 0.2 to 0.4.

Comment

first thing in the morning (when Ive been medically advised to test) it normally says 0.2 to 0.4.
                          It's normal for blood ketones to be lowest in the morning. I've also heard that if your body is efficient at utilizing the ketone bodies for fuel, you may test lower for blood ketones, but still be in ketosis - I believe Mark spoke about it on a Dr. Mercola interview possibly?

Definitely check your protein though, if your protein is too high it'll keep you out of ketosis. I aim for 5%c 15%p 80%f. Fat usually ends up being between 80-85%, protein just under 15%, and carbs under 3%, and this works well for me. You may try blood testing (those urine strips are useless) on a couple evenings just to see what kind of ketone concentration disparity you're seeing between morning/evening as well - if you have good ketone readings in the evenings, it may just be that the morning number is low because your body's been using the ketones overnight for repair/energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stina1115 View Post

Definitely check your protein though, if your protein is too high it'll keep you out of ketosis. I aim for 5%c 15%p 80%f. Fat usually ends up being between 80-85%, protein just under 15%, and carbs under 3%, and this works well for me.
                            Well it might well be too much protein then, as I do tend to eat quite a bit of that. I'll cut that back and see if there is any change.
                            Thank you for commenting.

Comment

When the urine sticks show deep purple, I dont blood test, but first thing in the morning (when Ive been medically advised to test) it normally says 0.2 to 0.4.
                              if you are VLC then it probably is the protein- I didn't realise that at the beginning either and it kept kicking me out too. check your figures and that should sort it out. extra calories need to be from fat rather than protein for example leave the skin on chicken rather than eating an extra piece (excess protein is dealt with by the body as a carb its just a slower process)
                              Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM.
                              When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                              27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                              new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Working...
                              X