No announcement yet.

Any Healthy Ice Cream out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gad, I am read in this thread just for thrills. I embarked on the PBlueprint the first week of last December and then about March 1st, I started to reward myself with Hagen Daz etc. - pint sized and consume one scoop every other night.....but my April it was one pint in one sitting once a week, then twice a week, then three times a week. Otherwise everything on the up and up or so I thought....spiked in with gluten free over treating episodes. Four weeks I called a halt to it....went through the withdrawal which lasted longer than I wanted....well, I am back on the straight and narrow. 196 lbs four weeks ago. 190 today.

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
      Honey is not healthy. There is not enough benefits to make up for that level of sugar. Fruit is healthy, even bananas (23 g of sugar/100g) since it contains vitamins, minerals, soluable fibre and misc beneficial compounds.

A healthy food is one that you should be able to consume in moderate to large quantities (several hundreds of grams plus), regularly without having any negative symptoms, or at least the positive outweighing the negative.

You cannot eat 300g of ice cream or honey a day and it be healthy. You can eat 300g of fruit, meat, shellfish, vegetables, eggs, organ meat etc and be healthy.
      What an amusing rule.

What you are saying is that, because you can't eat large volumes of honey or ice cream, it is unhealthy to eat in moderation, such as a small dessert? I personally believe that if your diet is already balanced and nutritious, you should be 100% fine (and may even benefit) from having things you enjoy included in it, provided they're not harmful to you. I'd rather have a scoop or two of coconut ice cream on bananas drizzled in a bit of honey after eating a full meal of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever than eat another plate of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever. I generally find most people are the same.
      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
      MFP Food Diary:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
        What an amusing rule.

What you are saying is that, because you can't eat large volumes of honey or ice cream, it is unhealthy to eat in moderation, such as a small dessert? I personally believe that if your diet is already balanced and nutritious, you should be 100% fine (and may even benefit) from having things you enjoy included in it, provided they're not harmful to you. I'd rather have a scoop or two of coconut ice cream on bananas drizzled in a bit of honey after eating a full meal of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever than eat another plate of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever. I generally find most people are the same.
        Great post. It's nice to see that someone on these forums can handle food in a way that's not all-or-nothing.

Comment

If you are really lazy, slice up 2 or 3 bananas, freeze them, and blend them together. You might need to add a splash of water to make it blend, but don't add much. You could also use a splash of heavy cream if you have some, but not much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I didn't read it as an all-or-nothing proposal. I read it as a relative comparison between foods as to which is healthier based on how much one can eat of each food.

I also think each person has his/her own line to draw as far as how much of a particular food to eat. Mark encourages a line at 80/20.

I think the point being made was that while one can eat a ton of something like broccoli with melted butter (and be very healthy), the same is not true of ice cream and honey. Therefore caution should be used.

No one was saying that we should eliminate all desserts. But it is likely true that some people will have their line drawn in a more healthy position than others.
            Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
            Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
            "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
            "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
            "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Yes! I found it on Pinterest actually. It's going to sound really weird and you'll wonder how it can taste like I've cream but it does! Get a banana, especially one that is going bad but not too mushy. Cut it into pieces and put it in the freezer. When it's totally frozen, put it in a food processor and pulse until its creamy. Add peanut butter and some cocoa powder. Event a little vanilla. It's sooo yummy you won't believe it! You'll feel like you're cheating. You can so this with berries too!! The link is below!

http://pinterest.com/pin/221661612880032999/

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1374241523.173647.jpg

Comment

I'd rather have a scoop or two of coconut ice cream on bananas drizzled in a bit of honey after eating a full meal of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever than eat another plate of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever. I generally find most people are the same.
                Exactly. I feel like it is healthier to indulge on occasion versus just burning out on healthy foods. I think a lot of people come from a place of being out of control with junk (that would have been me). Now I do enjoy ice cream and treats in moderation. However, there is something to be said about being strict for a certain amount of time that is beneficial.

For me, food enjoyment is critical. Banning sweets for 30 days really helped me find new ways of enjoying the healthy foods which was a useful exercise.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Talenti gelato! Or So Delicious coconut milk ice cream. I mean, the purpose of ice cream isn't to provide physical health benefits, but rather mental ones - AKA if it makes you happy GO FOR IT!

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                    Honey is not healthy. There is not enough benefits to make up for that level of sugar. Fruit is healthy, even bananas (23 g of sugar/100g) since it contains vitamins, minerals, soluable fibre and misc beneficial compounds.

A healthy food is one that you should be able to consume in moderate to large quantities (several hundreds of grams plus), regularly without having any negative symptoms, or at least the positive outweighing the negative.

You cannot eat 300g of ice cream or honey a day and it be healthy. You can eat 300g of fruit, meat, shellfish, vegetables, eggs, organ meat etc and be healthy.
                    Holy facepalm. Your I-don't-get-it is showing. Please stop spewing nonsense on this forum. There are impressionable noobs here

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      Holy facepalm. Your I-don't-get-it is showing. Please stop spewing nonsense on this forum. There are impressionable noobs here
                      Agreed x10000. Eat real food. End-o-story.

Comment

i tried the green and blacks organic vanilla ice cream last night and it was really nice, although rich so the 50g (10 carbs) scoop was enough. its ingredients look OK and it sure tasted good
                        Green And Black's Organic Vanilla Ice Cream 500Ml - Groceries - Tesco Groceries
                        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Easy Chocolate Ice Cream recipe

1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar processed into powder ( in Bullet blender or similar)
                          1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
                          1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
                          1 1/2 cups whole milk
                          1 1/2 cups half & half
                          1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

Mix together palm sugar and cocoa powder in large mixing bowl.
                          Add vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of the milk and mix thoroughly.
                          Add remaining cup of milk, half & half and cream and mix well.
                          Pour into pre-chilled Cuisinart 2 Quart automatic ice cream maker canister and churn for 25 minutes or until done.

When finished, divide into single serving sized containers and freeze. ( ice cream will freeze too hard to scoop without significant thawing, so dividing it up before freezing into paper cups or small plastic containers will help with quality and portion control. )

Coconut milk can be substituted for one of the above. Any of the milk ratios can be changed as long as the total milks amount does not exceed 5 cups for this size maker (2 qt).

Add 1 Tablespoon of mint extract when adding the vanilla, and churn an extra 5 minutes for Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
                          Last edited by Kristine Strasburger; 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I just bought some popsicle molds to give to my boyfriend for his birthday. I can't wait for his birthday so I can make some popsicles.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              I just bought some popsicle molds to give to my boyfriend for his birthday. I can't wait for his birthday so I can make some popsicles.
                              That is awesome. I am enjoying a coconut milk, pineapple and watermelon ice pop right now.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

That was my first thought. Coconut milk and crushed pineapple. But the possibilities are endless.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X