Help - unable to break my fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - unable to break my fast

I need help - I'm under an incredible amount of stress that I'm trying to deal with and it so happened that circumstances led to me starting what I though was a 24hour fast but is approaching 30 hours now. I tried to break it at 24 hours however I had a mouthful of salmon and nearly barfed - it all went into the bin. I'm covered in bruises but I'm not anaemic or iron deficient and this is the first time I've ever experienced turning food away, in my past I'd use it for comfort. Should I just wait it out and try eating a bit later or force something down? I've had a cup of coffee and water throughout. What do I do???

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

~Hayley
    There are none so blind as those determined not to see

well coffee is an appetite suppressant so I'm not sure that's the best idea! when and for how long did you last sleep? last exercise?

and I think you should eat something! Especially since you are worried. How's your vitamin C intake? Vitamin E? (lack of vitamin C can lead to bruising as can a surplus of vitamin E). Seems as though your body is out of balance due in part to all your stress
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

Can you try some broth, maybe work your way up to the actual meat? Soft scrambled eggs with butter maybe?

Good luck! I hope you find something that works soon.

Comment

Go to the doctor.

Comment

If you are vomiting up everything you eat and spontaneously bruising - you need more help than anyone here can give you. Go to the doctor.

Comment

Maybe focus on the stress - can you get some stress-relieving exercise? I suspect once your stress levels drop you will find it easier to eat. Unfortunately if you get even more stressed about not eating ... well... hope I haven't made it worse.

The only concern I have about going to a doctor is that they may prescribe pills for stress, which is a short term sticking plaster approach to a bigger problem. You can survive without food for quite a long time (so long as you keep your fluids up) so try a bit of exercise and whatever else helps. If you let the stress issues continue it will lead to ever decreasing health - I know this from experience. Don't less the stress continue after this event. It really needs to be dealt with.

Try breaking your fast with a favourite food, even if it isn't primal. You could try deliberately eating an emotionally comforting food, even if it is cake! Don't tell anyone I said that!
            My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Are you on any medication or supplements? These might be affecting you too.
              My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Thanks guys - I'm pretty sure it's the stressful week I've had - I haven't had spontaneous vomiting, just almost when I tried to eat today. I didn't realise coffee stopped you feeling hungry so I expect it's just a combination of several things. I'm home now and have managed a bit of chicken with mayo in some lettuce, not a lot but enough. I'm on no medication/suppliments or anything and take plenty of exercise - I don't get stressed often so I'm just not used to dealing with it well - house selling/struggling with massive budget issues sure are a sanity tester. I'm gonna chill tonight and start afresh tomorrow. I think it was just a vent and reality check I needed.

Thanks again.

~Hayley
                There are none so blind as those determined not to see

Comment

Glad you're feeling ok! Hopefully you wake up ravenous for a big primal breakfast/lunch tomorrow!
                  The more I see the less I know for sure.
                  -John Lennon

Comment

Maybe you could wait for the major stress to pass before attempting a fast again. I think the 2 things combined might be too much.
                    Carpe Diem!

Comment

This isn't pertaining to specifically breaking a fast, but some ideas for eating when you have food aversions.
                      My wife's pregnant and sometimes during the pregnancy shes doesn't really feel like eating anything.
                      Two foods I''ve found work well to break the food aversion:
                      Smoothies- adding a large amount of berries and most people will down it
                      Make a good old fashioned soup from a bone broth

Comment

One thing that worked for me when I was going through a stressful time years ago and didn't eat much (too anxious to swallow anything) was to put a mouthful of something in my mouth, make sure it was chewed (if it wasn't yogurt or something like that) and take a big swig of water and wash it down. I'd do this for several bites and then wait a bit. This processe served two purposes: to get some food in my stomach because I needed to eat, and stimulate my appetite. A little bit after I did this I would be hungry and able to eat normally. I know it may sound strange, but it worked.

Comment

Glad to hear you're doing better but it might be smart to go to a Doc just in case. Better safe then sorry.
                          Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

How scary for you!!! I'm glad you got some food in you, now go take a nap!!
                            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Comment

Originally posted by Suki View Post
                              If you are vomiting up everything you eat and spontaneously bruising - you need more help than anyone here can give you. Go to the doctor.
                              I admire Suki's tell it like it is attitude! But she's exactly right. While you can get lots of really good nutritional advice here, when you have a medical problem needing attention and especially something serious, you need to go see a doctor.
                              Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

Working...
                              X