No announcement yet.

Vitamin D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same issue here. No matter how much sun exposure I get, I am deficient. With diligent supplementation (with an oil based D3 which is the only one that works for me) I got up to 65. I have been a bit lazy with the supplements lately, but good about the sun, and I am back down to 18.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Yes, if you have a low vitamin D level just getting sun on your skin the recommended amount wont be enough probably to make up for being so low so long. The general advice is to take a decent amount of a D3 supp, and retest your vitamin D levels every 3 months to see where you are at with it. Too low is no good and nor is too high.

My first test was around 10 ng/ml (very low!) and now my latest tests shows I made it to around 60 ng/ml. Nice I'm now taking 10 000 IU a day, with some of that from fermneted cod liver oil. This is one of the very best D3 sources as it is minimally processed. It's also important that vitamin A and D be in balance. You need to take some A with your D. (Beta carotene is not vitamin A.)

FWIW, not a good idea to take high amounts of calcium if you have gotten your vitamin D to a healthy range did you know? Vitamin D affects how all minerals are used by the body. According to The vitamin D cure book when vitamin D levels are very low (under 20 ng/ml), a dosage of 1000 to 1200 mg of calcium daily is appropriate as the body will only be able to absorb a very small amount of this calcium (25%). While vitamin D levels are slowly being raised, a dosage of 500 - 600 mg is appropriate. (At a vitamin D level of 35 ng/ml, calcium absorption increases to 30 - 40%.) When vitamin D levels are optimal, calcium supplements may not be necessary at all but this depends to some extent on your diet.

Musings

Comment

I've been taking it in drop form. Each drop is 2000 IU and I take two drops a day. I highly recommend drops over pills because they are absorbed more easily and the pills used to cause stomach cramps and I feel like I wasn't using all of the vitamin d. Here's a good article about it: What is the Best Vitamin D Supplement? | Eat | Live | Exercise

Comment

Working...
        X