No announcement yet.

"Best" carbs - sweet potato? Really?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bunch of potatoes and.... my energy level skyrocketed within minutes. I guess I'm seriously not having enough carbs.

Comment

My favs are
      Sweet potatoes
      Bananas
      Plantain
      White sweet potatoes

London

Comment

I ate bananas, not as part of a fruit salad, only twice in my whole life: in September 1986 when I was seven years old and then again in January 2000 . Don't ask how I remember, its a long story. I can't stand the texture.

Comment

Hmm, I adore bananas. Maybe you could mash them up and cook them with eggs some way.

I like most fruit, white potatoes and raw carrots are awesome too.

Comment

Wait a second...

Aren't we trying to lower insulin levels? I see white rice has a GI of 90, potatoes are the same. How does that work exactly?
            Last edited by Davidil; 07-14-2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I'm love roasted root vegetable medley. Basically all of em togeather.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidil View Post
                Wait a second...

Aren't we trying to lower insulin levels? I see white rice has a GI of 90. How does that work exactly?
                Depends on whom you ask.
                The jury is still out. Many people subscribe to the theory of keeping the release of insulin as low as possible in order to lose weight, others believe it's calories that make all the difference.
                Personally, based on my own n=1 after being a believer in VLC for a long time, I'm now in the camp of the latter group

Comment

Wait a second...

Aren't we trying to lower insulin levels? I see white rice has a GI of 90, potatoes are the same. How does that work exactly?
                  Stop worrying about the GI. And no, we're not trying to lower insulin levels unless you're diabetic/insulin resistant.
                  My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

I believe the higher the better get the spike and end of . , low gi carbs take time and stay they're for a while working.

London

Comment

Personally I prefer simple sugars (fruit, honey, maple syrup ) for daily energy. Starch if I feel like a need to replinish muscle glycogen. These are not strict rules however.

-Kakti

Comment

Wait a second...

Try reading the Perfect Health Diet. It's a great book with a lot of science and it likes 'safe' starches. However, in the end I think it's what works for you. I eat sweet potatoes and plantains sometimes and I'm still losing weight.
                        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                        X