Dumb Questions Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Questions Thread

Everyone has a question on their mind right now that they want to ask, but they'd rather not risk getting flamed. Throw them up! No flaming.

The only one I can really think of, would be is one gram of glutamine a gram of protein? Ie if someone takes 2 grams of X amino acid (glutamine, tyrosine, ect...) is that 2 grams of protein?

I think the answer is yes because they are amino acids, but Im not positive haha.

Forgot to add, Try to answer someone else's question every time you post a question!
    Last edited by EGYnutrition; 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM.
    sigpic
    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Why are people so rude and inflammatory of late?

Why do people eat walnuts regularly when they have a ton of PUFA?

What can I tell people when they say that a ketogenic diet harms brain health (via by-products or something)?

Anyone have any chicken heart recipes?!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

I seem to fall off the primal wagon on and off. How do I ensure that once I get on it, I stay on it???

Comment

If I'm not hungry or I IF a bit through the day, do I still need to consume .7-1g of protein for lean body mass? I find that some nights I'm not hungry but my protein intake is low (say, 60% of what I should consume daily) so I eat to up my protein. Do I need to do this?
        Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
        ~Borges

Comment

Maba- what's the common thread when you fall off the wagon? I'm literally finding myself afraid to boost my carbs above 50g because I'm concerned I'll go into a carb-craving mania.
          Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
          ~Borges

Comment

Why is my CF trainer so against Primal and pro-Paleo??? Paleo seems so restrictive to me!!
            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Comment

Tara tootie- You might get a kick out of the song "Class" from the movie musical Chicago.
              Why is the average person only wanting a quck fix for their weight, regardless of what else it does to their body (grapefruit diet, cauliflower diet, color diet)?
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

Tara:

Do you mean that you find people in general to be rude and inflammatory lately, or people on this board? If it's people in general I could wax philosophic about that one...

Again, if "people" is people in general, I imagine they eat walnuts regularly because they don't know about PUFAs and what they do. Actually the same could be said for some followers of the PB who read that walnuts are a good source of Omega-3s and that nuts are good for you and stop there.

The human brain developed to its current incredible capacity under the influence of at least sporadic ketosis, if we make the assumption that ancient African Grok wasn't eating a ton of fruit every day. Give the doubters an outline of Grok's diet, carbohydrate intake, an approximate upper limit of carb intake for ketosis to occur, and let them do the math.

Maba:

You cannot ensure that you don't fall off the wagon. All you can do is stop yourself from buying junk. Sometimes you will indulge at a party or whatever. It happens, and it doesn't make much difference in the long run.

Meggilizz:

To be a CF trainer, I imagine you have to have a mindset just as extreme as the workouts you have to complete and ensure your students perform well at.
                Last edited by Grumpycakes; 04-29-2010, 07:44 AM.
                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

PC RE: rudeness... I mean people HERE. Eh oh well I cant really do much about that.

RE: Walnuts... also here. I mean they are yummy, and way better than twinkies.

RE: Brains and such... THAT makes sense to me but when people cite their professors and tell me about a study that shows the same, I come up empty.
                  Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

I may be rude but I assure you all that my systemic inflammation is minimal these days. Ha!
                    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

LOL Stabby! Youre not rude, youre hilarious!!!

Comment

I've found that communicating on the internet breeds a lot of misunderstanding just because you can't see the person's face and can't judge the tone of their voice. What may come off as rude may not have been intended to be rude. If you assume that all comments are made with good intentions, as I believe there are very few muckrakers on this board, then that helps a lot.

As for studies being cited, I'm not too capable when that happens, either. I guess I would take issue with the study then, and try to find out from that person everything I could, like did the study use mice or actual humans? Was it the subject's first experience with ketosis after a lifetime of excess carbohydrate? etc etc etc.
                        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                          I seem to fall off the primal wagon on and off. How do I ensure that once I get on it, I stay on it???
                          I would leave you with one piece of advise, if you buy it, you'll eat it. What I mean is, if there is a junk food or trigger food in the house, it will eventually get eaten. The best idea would to be to only buy foods that fall into your eating pattern, that way if you get the urge to cheat, you have to get off your butt and go buy something. Reduces the chance you actually will.
                          sigpic
                          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tara tootie View Post
                            Why are people so rude and inflammatory of late?

Why do people eat walnuts regularly when they have a ton of PUFA?

What can I tell people when they say that a ketogenic diet harms brain health (via by-products or something)?

Anyone have any chicken heart recipes?!

If you mean in general, I think it has a lot to do with what's going on in the country concerning politics. If I told you some of the stuff I've been reading as of lately, you'd be rude and inflammatory too! haha

PrimalChild answered your other ones pretty well too, As far as ketosis goes, if it was that harmful to our brain, why has our brain evolved to be able to retrieve up to 75 percent of calories from ketones?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
                              If I'm not hungry or I IF a bit through the day, do I still need to consume .7-1g of protein for lean body mass? I find that some nights I'm not hungry but my protein intake is low (say, 60% of what I should consume daily) so I eat to up my protein. Do I need to do this?
                              I would still try to hit your protein requirements... IFing kind of makes that tough though.

Do the best you can, and if you feel great and are getting good results, then what you're doing is working.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X