Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suprising article, omega 3 / fish oil supplements lead to cancer...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inesenite View Post
    Robb Wolf's take on this - Does Fish oil cause prostate Cancer?
    I was going to comment over there but it was facebook and I try to keep realname and loafingcactus in their own spaces...

An-y-way: His point #6 about it being a very thin line on supposed dose is interesting because this was the same issue from the Spanish "Mediterranean Diet Study" of a couple of months ago. Supposed fish has this AMAZING effect... at an average dose of about one serving every three weeks. Um, sure.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by inesenite View Post
      Robb Wolf's take on this - Does Fish oil cause prostate Cancer?
      Seems he's put together many of the same thoughts that popped up in my mind.

Funny story. As I was in the gym this story is hitting the news. I walked past some tv's with it playing. The media cracks me up sometimes. When they get their hooks into something they can really twist away.

Anyhow, in honor of the O3 scare (actually my wife knew nothing of any of this).... my wife made tuna for lunch and we are having salmon for dinner. Double POW!..... Oh, my prostate hurts just thinking about it.

To offset the obvious damage I'm doing to my prostate my wifes gonna have to take one (or about 5 a week if you follow the studies) for the team. You know what I'm talking bout

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

To offset the obvious damage I'm doing to my prostate my wifes gonna have to take one (or about 5 a week if you follow the studies) for the team. You know what I'm talking bout
        lol. i like to remind the b/f that i "do it" only out of altruistic concern for his prostate health. seems to be working so far.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I wouldn't be taking fish oil supp if it didn't make me feel so much better. I notice difference in my mood and sense of overall well being if I stop taking it for just a few days in a row. And my n6 intake is very low too.
          I get Norwegian sourced Carlson's and always keep it in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
            I wouldn't be taking fish oil supp if it didn't make me feel so much better. I notice difference in my mood and sense of overall well being if I stop taking it for just a few days in a row. And my n6 intake is very low too.
            I get Norwegian sourced Carlson's and always keep it in the fridge.
            When taking fish oil, apparently the reason people feel an instant improvement in wellbeing is because it suppresses the immune system and thus reduces the body's inflammatory response. In other words: it reduces inflammation (which makes you feel good) but this is as a result of lowering the immune system (bad long term).

I do eat fish though - I don't think real fish and fish oils should be in the same category... it's like comparing fructose with HFCS.
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Fish Oil and your Prostate - Examine.com Blog
              My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                lol. i like to remind the b/f that i "do it" only out of altruistic concern for his prostate health. seems to be working so far.
                Thats quite noble of you to take such good care of his.........um prostate.

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                  Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  Thats quite noble of you to take such good care of his.........um prostate.
                  yeah, am all servicey like that.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Fish Oil and your Prostate - Examine.com Blog

Comment

Just another case of conflating correlation with causation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        If I may make a recommendation:

Country Life Vitamin D3 -- 5000 IU - 200 Softgels - Vitacost

Other Ingredients: Medium chain triglycerides, [gelatin, glycerin, purified water (capsule shell)]

This is a fantastic supplement and it is packed in medium chain triglycerides. Also, the Vitamin D in the supplement is from lanolin. Many D supplements take their Vitamin D from cod liver oil, which is highly toxic and why you may find fish oil a carrier for many D supplements.. I will not take Vitamin D derived from fish.
                        This is the one I take (but in 2500 IU instead of 5000). There are also liquid forms of D3 in MCT oil. I used to take one by Carlson that was 4000 IU per drop.
                        LastBottleWines

Comment

Originally posted by Pentiger View Post
                          Just another case of conflating correlation with causation.
                          That's every study "showing" positives for fish oil.

Fishing societies with no access to modern, processed foods are healthy you say? It must be because of the omega 3's that your body specifically does not manufacture, not all the fake foods they have no access to! Here, take this highly refined, super-heated, hexane-extracted, highly oxidized, trans-fat laden oil pill made from the byproducts of sick, farmed fish.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Fish oil is anti inflammatory. If eating fish is healthy; problems from supplementation seem inconsistent. Suppose the majority of people who take fish oil capsules; are obese to begin with; they fear heart attacks. So the study purports to show people who take fish oil get prostate cancer; but its really showing that obese persons get prostate cancer. Thats my take.

Comment

Some of the comments seem to be drifting far afield of the study. The study was about blood levels of chemicals that are secondary to fish oil consumption. It was not correlated with fish or capsules or amount consumed. Aim, then fire.
                              “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                              Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

NPA Defends Omega 3 Supplements in Response to Study

Comment

Working...
                                X