Bread and children question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread and children question

My daughter didn't eat her bfast this morning, which was cereal (not my choice!) and then my mum asked if she wanted toast and my 5 year said 'No thank you, coz its not healthy and she doesn't want to get fat.' Ok so I don't want my daughter worrying about her weight. I'm not overweight at all and neither is she, but was wondering how I could phrase things better. I am feeling proud that she said no though.

My 3.5 year old refuses bread at his kindergarten because "it hurts in the belly" and he realized that his poop gets nasty ...

Comment

Bake some healthy breads for her. Check out those, for example:

LE

All of them are wonderful quality sourdough breads. Each one takes over 20 hours to make (+ the sourdough alone has to be quite old).

Comment

It doesn't sound like she's worried about her weight, it sounds like she's got the right info on bread. If she starts exhibiting more worry about weight, then I'd keep an eye on her, but for now, it seems like she's following her mom's good lead.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

You might want to have a talk with her about health vs. weight. If you're not projecting your weight issue onto her then she might be getting the idea somewhere else, and it needs to be discussed. A little seed like this could grow into bigger issues in the future...I sound so paranoid, don't I, lol.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I think I gave her the idea that bread long term would make her fat. She doesn't find it to hurt her tummy like it does to me so I don't think she'd understand if we said something else.

Comment

you might want to reconsider how you phrase your explanations then. "it's not good for you" is way different than "it will make you fat."
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Ok yeah, that's definitely a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenLouise View Post
                  I think I gave her the idea that bread long term would make her fat. She doesn't find it to hurt her tummy like it does to me so I don't think she'd understand if we said something else.
                  Kids know what junk food is.

Thats what I tell my boys bread is.

Comment

Especially when you've isolated that "badness" to bread.

I think she's old enough to understand how wheat is grown and processed into different products, and the sorts of products it becomes.
                    Last edited by eKatherine; 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

My girls (5 and 3) know enough now to ask if something is "gluten free" and know that if it isn't that means it's not healthy. However, that won't stop them from eating it if they want it, it will just be a treat at that point in their minds. They have no idea what gluten free means though. I've been asked "how gluten free is this?" and they've tried to get me to let them eat some doughnuts they saw by telling me they were sure that they were "super, super, gluten free".

It is nice when they lecture my parents on how unhealthy something they are eating is because it's not gluten free
                      www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Comment

You could also mention that it will make their bodies not as strong for fighting bad germs, or that it will make their joints hurt if they eat it for a long time. Those are other good reasons not to eat bread!

Comment

Thanks so much everyone!!! And yes it was the little seed that my mum was concerned about and now myself when she mentioned it to me.

Comment

When my 4yo and I talk about junk food and healthy food, we focus on how healthy food will make him strong and help him feel good, while junk food will make his tummy hurt, and will keep him from being like superman because his muscles won't grow. That seems to hit home really well.

Comment

Working...
                            X