Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you cut the fat off of meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Fatless bacon tastes like cardboard...

    I used to cut fat off and thought Wagyu was the devil ( now I wish I had ALL the Wagyu). Now I cut it off it's grisly and rubbery just because I don't like the taste/texture, but otherwise, nope.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
      Burned fat from any kind of meat forms a carcinogen, nothing magic about clean meat- Healthy eating: The Difference Engine: Hold the carcinogens | The Economist
      That said, I personally don't worry about it.
      Bah, read it to fast, missed the "high heat"part
      yeah, charcoaled meat isent the best.
      but conventional meat also stores a lot of toxins due to feed & farming methods,, in the fat.
      Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

      http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

      Comment


      • #18
        Yes..... off of other peoples meat.... then I add it to my plate.

        Comment


        • #19
          Grass fed, I relish the fat. Conventional, I go lean.

          Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

          Comment


          • #20
            I do cut the fat off. I know its good for me but I just can't handle the texture. My dog is very happy to take care of it though.
            My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
              I love the fatty and gristly bits on my meat. I take off chicken and porc skin and fry that separately to make it crunchy. If there is fat on my meat it is too good to waste. My son and I have to fight over the extra. The wife and daughter wont touch it so it is all ours....

              I tried frying chicken skin but I couldn't get it crispy.
              It was just a gooey lump. Tips please.
              FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Davidil View Post
                I mean do you try to keep it as lean as possible or not to think about it?
                Depends on kind of cut .
                Excess yes, with steaks no bigger cuts more yes,



                London

                Comment


                • #23
                  I hate the fatty cuts of meat, it feels like I'm taking 5 minutes to chew a piece of rubber. Nasty. I always separate it and give it to my dog.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I eat lean beef and chicken. I eat the fat on pork. The fattier the pork the better.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                      Burned fat from any kind of meat forms a carcinogen, nothing magic about clean meat-
                      That said, I personally don't worry about it.
                      Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                      Fatless bacon tastes like cardboard...

                      I used to cut fat off and thought Wagyu was the devil ( now I wish I had ALL the Wagyu). Now I cut it off it's grisly and rubbery just because I don't like the taste/texture, but otherwise, nope.
                      Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
                      I hate the fatty cuts of meat, it feels like I'm taking 5 minutes to chew a piece of rubber. Nasty. I always separate it and give it to my dog.
                      When you simmer meat a long time at a low temperature, the gristly, fatty parts (and even pork skin) become butter-soft and succulent.

                      Originally posted by Sol blackcat View Post
                      I tried frying chicken skin but I couldn't get it crispy.
                      It was just a gooey lump. Tips please.
                      Bake it on a rack. The crispiest will be if you can stretch it out on that rack

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by eKatherine View Post

                        Bake it on a rack. The crispiest will be if you can stretch it out on that rack
                        This is a great garnish too.
                        Rack is a must & go moderate to heavy salt on top before & make sure It's dry!!!

                        I usually do chicken liver pâté then top with crisp chicken skin for another texture & extra chicken flavour .





                        London

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
                          This is a great garnish too.
                          Rack is a must & go moderate to heavy salt on top before & make sure It's dry!!!
                          If you bake chicken thighs until the skin is crispy on top, you can remove the skin, set it over a rack, and continue to bake until it is done on both sides. I do this when I bake extra chicken thighs with the skin from those that will be stripped for chicken meat.

                          Years back I read about a restaurant in Japan that specialized in serving whole chicken skins that were stretched out flat before cooking (they probably deep-fried them). They called them "chicken crackers" and served them in a pile. I need that.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            If you bake chicken thighs until the skin is crispy on top, you can remove the skin, set it over a rack, and continue to bake until it is done on both sides. I do this when I bake extra chicken thighs with the skin from those that will be stripped for chicken meat.

                            Years back I read about a restaurant in Japan that specialized in serving whole chicken skins that were stretched out flat before cooking (they probably deep-fried them). They called them "chicken crackers" and served them in a pile. I need that.

                            Some restaurants in London sell them apparently. I can't use my oven, that's why I steam my meat.
                            Would love to try them, sound lovely.
                            FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              If you bake chicken thighs until the skin is crispy on top, you can remove the skin, set it over a rack, and continue to bake until it is done on both sides. I do this when I bake extra chicken thighs with the skin from those that will be stripped for chicken meat.

                              Years back I read about a restaurant in Japan that specialized in serving whole chicken skins that were stretched out flat before cooking (they probably deep-fried them). They called them "chicken crackers" and served them in a pile. I need that.
                              There's butchers by me that do skinless chicken breasts n I give them heads up few days before & a get a pile.

                              Do the same for fish skinfrom my sashimi sushi place , get like a kilo of salmon mackerel skin . But not for me for my dog ! Loves it . Same thing in wild with the bears feeding 4 salmon throw away the body meat but only go for the head & skin , for the fat & nutrients!!!


                              London

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I generally cut the fat off of meat because it is largely flavorless and has an unpleasant texture. When fat is evenly distributed and adds to the juiciness of the meat (like in ground beef and sausage) it can be quite good, but the giant ring of fat around a ribeye or big chunks of gelatinous fat in a pork shoulder? Blech. Off it goes. In general, I prefer much leaner cuts of meat.
                                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X